Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2017, 8:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Crossing state lines.

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by pigsNtrees.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Have you crossed over to buy tickets?

Yes [ 17 ]  [77.27%]
No [ 5 ]  [22.73%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
United States
Member #26084
November 14, 2005
199 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2007, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

Just wondering how many of us have crossed over state lines THIS time to play MM? I cross over to play PB from time to time. When I do make the trip I always buy something like gas or food from a different store or town and keep the receipt, just in case I need to prove I bought the ticket myself.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

United States
    Member #30477
    January 17, 2006
    110 Posts
    Posted: March 5, 2007, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

why would you need to prove you bought the ticket and not someone buying it for you?  Just wondering

United States
      Member #26084
      November 14, 2005
      199 Posts
      Posted: March 5, 2007, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I live in Texas and go over to La for my PB tickets. One of the perks of PB vs MM is that you can purchase up to 20 drawings for PB vs only 10 for MM.

This is from the Texas lottery site.

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/default/FAQ/#tickets

Can I buy tickets from outside Texas by mail, phone, or on the Internet?

The Texas Lottery Administrative rules prohibit retailers from selling tickets by mail or phone. Tickets must be purchased in person from a licensed Texas Lottery retailer.

There are federal postal regulations that restrict the mailing of lottery tickets. There are federal laws that prohibit the sale of lottery tickets by telephone or over the Internet.

So I just don't want the hassle of proving I bought it in person.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7611 Posts
        Posted: March 5, 2007, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I live in Texas and go over to La for my PB tickets. One of the perks of PB vs MM is that you can purchase up to 20 drawings for PB vs only 10 for MM.

The Texas Lottery Administrative rules prohibit retailers from selling tickets by mail or phone. Tickets must be purchased in person from a licensed Texas Lottery retailer.

There are federal postal regulations that restrict the mailing of lottery tickets. There are federal laws that prohibit the sale of lottery tickets by telephone or over the Internet.

"There are federal postal regulations that restrict the mailing of lottery tickets."

The Connecticut lottery officials must have missed that memo because in the article about a ticket worth $3.5 million expiring it said:

"However, officials said if someone mailed it in and it was postmarked before the deadline, it would be honored."

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/151556.htm
          California
          United States
          Member #46824
          October 1, 2006
          270 Posts
          Posted: March 5, 2007, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

"There are federal postal regulations that restrict the mailing of lottery tickets."

The Connecticut lottery officials must have missed that memo because in the article about a ticket worth $3.5 million expiring it said:

"However, officials said if someone mailed it in and it was postmarked before the deadline, it would be honored."

Stck 47...there are two issues here.  The federal postal regulations refer to the concept of mailing lottery tickets for upcoming drawings.  The CT Lottery is talking about mailimg in a winning ticket.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            24039 Posts
            Posted: March 5, 2007, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

JADELottery's avatar - AMeOn 02.png
              - Eagle Sun - Quantum Master
              West Concord, MN
              United States
              Member #21
              December 7, 2001
              4025 Posts
              Posted: March 5, 2007, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

The printed lottery ticket in your hand IS the only proof you bought the ticket.

That is all the state will recognize AS proof.

Buying food and other products is incidental to your lottery purchasing activities.

I went to IL to get my winning Mega Millions Lottery Ticket and have no fear of proving I bought the ticket.

Because, it's in my hand; named, addressed and signed by me.

When I go to claim my $355,000,000.00 prize, I know I will have the only proof I bought it.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
              Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
              Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
              Knowledge is Beyond Belief
              Wisdom is Not Censored
              Douglas Paul Smallish
              Jehocifer

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                20147 Posts
                Posted: March 5, 2007, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Most states allow players to mail in their winning tickets.  The laws you're referring to effect the selling of lottery tickets using the mail, that is one of the reasons these internet ticket buying services hold your tickets.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: March 5, 2007, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I apologize for voting "yes" since I never cross the state line any more.  I read your post after I voted and you were only referring to the current game.  oops!  I used to travel from NH to MA all the time, but the New England states are very small compared to Florida. I live about 400 miles south of the border. Maybe I should move to Jacksonville!

Regarding mailing tickets across state lines, the rules were originally established to prevent people from selling lottery tickets to make a profit and to keep it locally regulated.  I once called up the MA lottery and, when the nice lady who answered said "Sorry, I sell you any MM tickets" (they DO send other state lottery tickets) I answered "Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to twist my sister's arm a little harder!"  She laughed and said "good luck."  Lottery tickets are given as gifts all the time. I doubt if the lottery would keep a winner from claiming a prize unless that person is suspected of foul play.  When I asked my sister to purchase the 5 tickets for me, I told her not to mail them. It's not that the lottery might void my ticket, it's because it violates Federal postal laws. This is the United States Postal Code:

http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/usc18/lottery.htm

Why do they word it so it's so complicated?  I know - it's the Federal Government! 

Edit:  RJOh, I was typing while you were posting.  Yes, that's what I am saying.

Greenwich, CT
                    United States
                    Member #4793
                    May 24, 2004
                    1822 Posts
                    Posted: March 5, 2007, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Lottery tickets for sale cannot be mailed across state lines.  I suppose a state lottery could sell tickets by mail only to its residents.  Do subscription services fall under this?

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: March 5, 2007, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

JAG, I'll have to look at the MA site again.  I'm pretty sure they deliver season tickets for most of the MA jackpot games out of the state.  They have a toll free number.  I'll look now.

The answer is yes, they will sell season tickets.  (I think that's what they're saying...look at the questions about non-residents and mailing the tickets)  I don't think Todd wants us to post anything from lottery sites.  So you can look at the FAQs. 

If by subscription services you are referring to Betslips or other companies that buy lottery tickets, they never mail them across state lines AFAIK.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: March 5, 2007, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

I guess it's okay to post this:

The FAQ is "Can non-residents buy lottery tickets?"

Yes, anyone 18 and over can purchase any Lottery product at any agent location. All players can collect their prizes at the same locations listed in question four. Additionally, Season Tickets can be purchased directly from any sales agent while in the state or from out of state, by calling l-800-222-TKTS. The ticket can be registered in the owner's name by completing and returning the registration form to the Lottery. Season Tickets are available for Megabucks, Mass Cash, Mega Millions and Cash Winfall.

Mega Millions Season Tickets CANNOT be purchased via phone from out of state.

The way I read this is that it is possible to buy Season Tickets by mail if you live in another state, but not MM. 

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7611 Posts
                          Posted: March 5, 2007, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

Stck 47...there are two issues here.  The federal postal regulations refer to the concept of mailing lottery tickets for upcoming drawings.  The CT Lottery is talking about mailimg in a winning ticket.

The statement I quoted says "There are federal postal regulations that restrict the mailing of lottery tickets." but without showing the actual regulation, I'm assuming from what the CT Lottery official said, that is not exactly true.

I suppose if I really wanted to know I could go to the post office and ask if it's illegal to mail my out-of-state buddies or relatives lottery tickets.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7611 Posts
                            Posted: March 5, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I apologize for voting "yes" since I never cross the state line any more.  I read your post after I voted and you were only referring to the current game.  oops!  I used to travel from NH to MA all the time, but the New England states are very small compared to Florida. I live about 400 miles south of the border. Maybe I should move to Jacksonville!

Regarding mailing tickets across state lines, the rules were originally established to prevent people from selling lottery tickets to make a profit and to keep it locally regulated.  I once called up the MA lottery and, when the nice lady who answered said "Sorry, I sell you any MM tickets" (they DO send other state lottery tickets) I answered "Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to twist my sister's arm a little harder!"  She laughed and said "good luck."  Lottery tickets are given as gifts all the time. I doubt if the lottery would keep a winner from claiming a prize unless that person is suspected of foul play.  When I asked my sister to purchase the 5 tickets for me, I told her not to mail them. It's not that the lottery might void my ticket, it's because it violates Federal postal laws. This is the United States Postal Code:

http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect/usc18/lottery.htm

Why do they word it so it's so complicated?  I know - it's the Federal Government! 

Edit:  RJOh, I was typing while you were posting.  Yes, that's what I am saying.

"Why do they word it so it's so complicated?  I know - it's the Federal Government!" 

It gets even more complicated when you fast forward to section 1307, "Exceptions relating to certain advertisements and other information and to State-conducted lotteries"?

Section 1307 tries to clarifies the rules written before State lotteries started.

But I still don't know for sure if your sister would have spent hard time in a Federal prison if she had mailed you those 5 lottery tickets.

United States
                              Member #26084
                              November 14, 2005
                              199 Posts
                              Posted: March 6, 2007, 11:37 am - IP Logged

All I know for sure is that whoever wins MM will be in the spotlight. I can remember at least two times when a winner lost their prizes because they one, bought their ticket with drug money, and two bought their ticket with a credit card. I can't remember if the credit card in question was stolen or you can't use a credit card to purchase a lotto ticket or both. Since I'm a resident of a different state than I bought the ticket in, I would think they would ask me how I bought it, thus the receipt from the store.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit