Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

At what jackpot amount would you consider "sharing" the wealth?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: March 6, 2007, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

I must have missed the posts where people were saying they wouldn't help their family in time of disaster.  That would be incredibly small and mean.  Can you point me to those posts?

You can search all over LP for them.  Someone doesn't have to specifically say "I won't help people in times of illness and disaster" but saying "I'm not helping people until I have $XX" or "I don't plan to tell my family I won" or "I'll never give one dime to my family" sounds like the same thing to me.  Someone is either a generous person or he isn't. 

I was going to answer Guesser's last comment and respond to MegaWinner's "Ferrari Money" comment but I've already written way too much. I don't know why someone would think that just because a person has $175,000 to spend on a car, he wouldn't care about spending another $75,000. People care about the price of things at any income level. 

This whole debate is silly.

fbird's avatar - nw archer.jpg
    White Lake,Mi
    United States
    Member #1495
    May 12, 2003
    5546 Posts
    Posted: March 6, 2007, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

i have always had a figure in my head. I know it is dreaming, but the question was asked and this is what i have always said to my wife ( even tho she would want to keep it all..LOL ). That if the jacpot were to exceed $200M, we would keep half and give the rest to be split between family and friends. At first she questioned me about this, and I said "well, if we have all this money and no one to party with....what good is it!! And besides we would be able to enrich other people lives"....even tho some may think this discussion is somewhat silly, and it may be, you do have to at least consider what you would do with that kind of wealth! After all...who wants to be the next Jack Whittaker!!!

VAL

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow.

Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Albert Camus

Cary, IL.
      United States
      Member #50450
      March 6, 2007
      7 Posts
      Posted: March 6, 2007, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

When i win tonights Mega Millions, I plan on using twenty million to satisfy everyone in my family handsomely. Then I plan on spending about 15 million helping out several prepicked charities, and good  causes. Finally I wil let my wife lay claim to 50% of what is left. and definately put enough in investments to secure generational wealth.

I have many friends I will also surprise with an auto, or payoff of their mortgage something real cool. (Major Lacey)

Hope I win to end my physical struggles in construction. as well as seasonal employment.

I have preformatted my wishes initially, subject to change of course!Group Hug  Play to win!

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8797 Posts
        Posted: March 6, 2007, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

There is a post somewhere here on lottery post. It goes some what like this.

The guy won a bunch of money in the lottery. He called all the friends or people he could think of. He told them he needed a couple thou real quick for an emergency of some sort.

Only one person came thru with the couple thou.
        That is who he shared some of his wealth with.

I think I would do the same.

Oo'Ka

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #50273
          March 3, 2007
          348 Posts
          Posted: March 6, 2007, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

There is a post somewhere here on lottery post. It goes some what like this.

The guy won a bunch of money in the lottery. He called all the friends or people he could think of. He told them he needed a couple thou real quick for an emergency of some sort.

Only one person came thru with the couple thou.
          That is who he shared some of his wealth with.

I think I would do the same.

I like that idea lol!  And Justxploring, if a family member or close friend (one of my 12 that I will share with anyway) went through a natural disaster, I would help them out as best as I could.  Maybe let them stay with me rent/bill free till they got back on their feet (if I only won a $4.5 mill jackpot), I just wouldn't give them any money.  Now if something happened to one of my 12 after today, of course I would help them a little more than I already planned. 

I plan on keeping $90 mill of tonights jackpot and give away $76 to my 12.  But they won't get their share until 2011 when there is no estate/gift tax.  I refuse to give the IRS anymore than I have to.

But back to the point, I do have a threshold of what I would give away to my 12 if I won.  If I had the $4.5 mill, thats not enough to go around.  They are going to want more than I want to give them and i'd never hear the end of it.  So I would definitley have to move right away. 

You can sound as "moral" as you want and thats your choice.  I have a plan and I will stick to it. 

LottoHackJack's avatar - leaf
            Leamington, Ontario
            Canada
            Member #2995
            December 11, 2003
            59 Posts
            Posted: March 30, 2007, 12:42 am - IP Logged

The debate is not silly at all, since many have had to deal with the reality of the situation in the past, and it's good to guage the results against your personality type to see what might possibly become of you under different circumstances that you may find yourself in, or may exercise to follow.

If the winner is traditionally greedy, selfish, ignorant, stupid, adulterous, murderous or demonstrates addictive or compulsive/impulsive behaviour...Then that winner will aspire and simply gravitate to become a notorious " RICH " greedy, selfish, ignorant, stupid, adulterous, murderous, addictive or compulsive/impulsive, misbehavioural personality, and may probably proceed to cause much harm to others he comes into contact with by abusing their new-found wealth.

Being generous can become dangerous when you cast your jewels to the swine. It's best to tune your sense of smell and make sure you eat sausage to keep the swine at bay...It is fitting to better yourself immediately and learn how to invest wisely if there is such a thing anymore, and it is fitting to become wise in ways that shield you from the human nature that would sucker your win away from you.

Giving away money can and will cause much distortion in the lives you influence, and can even enable them to do much harm after they deviate from their normal habits. Do you really think that you want to be that hero? You best be prepared to become an unsung hero, then...anonymously...right after you learn how to take care of your own affairs first. The cursing can't be directed at you if you are an anonymous donor. 

Buying that ticket was your own fantasy...not everyone else's. They can buy their own tickets too and maybe become lucky enough to distort reality, much like a drug user does. If one feels there will be a problem if and when they win the lottery, then don't play. If you're merely buying tickets to win so that you can be a hero and give it away to make things better for everyone else, I think you're in for the shock of your life...The deed will come back around to bite you in the a$$.

LottoHackJack

P.S.  I'm a " realist ". It's not easy to get by matters at hand when you can really see things the way they really are, and retain enough logic to calculate what might possibly happen next when certain variables are tampered with.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - rsz 1franklinmillion-front.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11339 Posts
              Posted: March 30, 2007, 1:00 am - IP Logged
              talking to his mom about his birthday party later that day and the soon-coming move to a new house. After playing with Woody, Andy starts helping his mom by carrying his baby sister to her. While he is gone, all the toys come to life and Woody tells everyone that Andy's birthday party has been moved to today, instead of later. This makes all the toys extremely nervous, wondering if Andy will get a toy that will replace them. Woody sends the small green soldiers downstairs to spy on the party. At the end of the party, Andy's mom pulls out a surprise gift from the closet, which turns out to be a Buzz Lightyear spaceman doll. Buzz does not seem to be aware that he is a toy, believing himself to be on a mission to save the universe from Evil Emperor Zurg. The other toys take to him immediately, being impressed by his many features. Only Woody is unconvinced, showing jealousy towards Buzz, who might replace him as Andy's favorite toy.

Eventually, when Andy is told he can take only one toy with him on a trip to Pizza Planet, Woody tries to knock Buzz behind Andy's dresser, but instead knocks him out the window. When the other toys learn of Woody's actions, they turn on him, but he is rescued when Andy, unable to find Buzz, take Woody on the trip. At a stop at a Dinoco gas station, Woody finds that Buzz grabbed ahold of the family's minivan and is with them. The two begin to fight, knocking each other out of the minivan, and are left behind when it drives away. Woody convinces Buzz to hitch a lift on a Pizza Planet truck, in order to reunite with Andy. Woody finds Andy there, but Buzz, still believing he is a real space ranger, climbs into a toy crane game, thinking it is a spaceship. Woody goes in after him, but the two eventually are grabbed by Sid Phillips, who lives next door to Andy and is known to torture and destroy toys, just for fun.

Woody finally finds Buzz in Hannah's room, dressed as "Mrs. Nesbitt" and attending a tea party. While Woody formulates a plan of escape, Buzz is too depressed to care. When Woody throws a string of Christmas tree lights across the way to the toys in Andy's room, Buzz refuses to back him up, leading the other toys to abandon them. The mixed-up toys then return and swarm over Buzz, to Woody's dismay. But it turns out they were only repairing him. Before Woody can make friends with them, however, Sid returns with his new acquisition: a firework rocket. He decides to blow up Buzz with it, but is stymied by rainfall.

The next day, Sid takes Buzz out to blow him up, leaving Woody alone in the room. Of course, it was also when Andy and his family is going to move. Andy, still depressed to lose Woody and Buzz, just found the cardboard spaceship of Buzz, and a cowboy hat. Woody calls out to the mixed-up toys to help him rescue his friend and they agree. After a daring escape through the house and past Scud, Woody and the other toys end up in the yard with Sid. They decide to break the rules and they allow Sid to see that they can move on their own. Woody even speaks to him, telling him to "play nice". This freaks Sid out and he runs screaming into the house, where his sister frightens him with a dolly.

Now freed from Sid, Woody and Buzz attempt to catch Andy's moving van just as it is pulling away from the house. After saying farewell to the mixed-up toys, a harrowing chase follows, with Scud chasing them and Andy's toys not helping, since they still believe Woody intentionally got rid of Buzz. Luckily, they get rid of Scud and let the toys believe in Woody to see that he is helping Buzz. Eventually, with the help of R/C, Andy's remote control car, and strategic use of Sid's rocket, Woody and Buzz return to Andy, whose mother thinks they were in the car all along.

The next Christmas, we see a scene similar to the birthday party, with the toys again worried about the new ones. Mr. Potato Head is pleased to learn that Andy's baby sister has gotten a Mrs. Potato Head, while Woody ponders what could possibly be worse that Andy receiving Buzz. The answer comes in the form of Andy's final present, when a dog's bark is heard.