Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MM jackpot turns out to be $390m

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2007, 3:51 pm - IP Logged

Wow that was a huge jump.  Almost the first $400,000,000 jackpot.  Well maybe next time....haha

B-rad

Greenwich, CT
    United States
    Member #4793
    May 24, 2004
    1822 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2007, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Powerball will have a tough time reclaiming sole possession of the record.  Unless of course they get lucky and a jackpot rolls over at about $370m, and then the cap goes into effect at $395m.

California
      United States
      Member #46824
      October 1, 2006
      270 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2007, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Wow that was a huge jump.  Almost the first $400,000,000 jackpot.  Well maybe next time....haha

B-rad

Bradly_60...where did you see the $390 million figure.  Everthing I checked (MM, CA, OH) still shows $370 Million.  It  was going to go higher, $390 million is way up there.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49813 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2007, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Bradly_60...where did you see the $390 million figure.  Everthing I checked (MM, CA, OH) still shows $370 Million.  It  was going to go higher, $390 million is way up there.

It's in the scrolling News on the MM Homepage!

Strange that they didn't update the rest of the website!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2007, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

When I "googled" Mega Millions earlier, $395 million was the amount shown.  One article said:

According to New Jersey Lottery officials, the annuity value of the ticket is $195 million and the cash option is $116.5 million, but that's before a federal tax of 25 percent. New Jersey does not tax lottery winnings.

Took me a second (I said "huh?") and then I realized they were talking about each winner's prize, so that's $390 million!

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
            Portland,Oregon
            United States
            Member #14387
            April 25, 2005
            229 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2007, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

This from the MegaMillions official web site:  

MEGA MILLIONS JACKPOT EVEN LARGER THAN ESTIMATE – TOTALS $390 MILLION! Two Tickets, Sold In Georgia And New Jersey, Will Split Record-Setting Jackpot
            When the numbers were totaled, the Mega Millions jackpot broke all expectations by ringing in at a jaw-dropping $390 million for the March 6, 2007 drawing.

Now two lucky ticket-holders are about to have the experience of a lifetime as each claims half of that amazing jackpot. Those tickets were sold in Dalton, Georgia and Cape May County, New Jersey.

The winning numbers were 16-22-29-39-42 and the Mega Ball number was 20.

That $390 million now holds the record as the largest jackpot ever in North America.

The high level of excitement and play in and around Mega Millions states created more than 5.3 million winning tickets in Tuesday’s drawing. That includes 43 tickets that each won $250,000 for matching the first five numbers and only missing the Mega Ball number*.

Here is a breakdown of all the winning tickets in Tuesday’s drawing:

2 tickets matched all 6 numbers for the JACKPOT!
            43 tickets matched 5 numbers for $250,000
            319 tickets matched 4 numbers + the Mega Ball for $10,000
            14,111 tickets matched 4 numbers for $150
            15,589 tickets matched 3 numbers + the Mega Ball for $150
            251,648 tickets matched 2 numbers + the Mega Ball for $10
            692,511 tickets matched 3 numbers for $7
            1,504,648 tickets matched 1 number + the Mega Ball for $3
            2,852,862 tickets matched the Mega Ball for $2

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

United States
              Member #24439
              October 22, 2005
              638 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2007, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

They were interviewing Georgian winner, Ed Nabors, on headline New live and the host said it was actually $390M. She also said there where only 2 winners. Ed said the ticket was qp.

twisted's avatar - underground
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #2376
                September 25, 2003
                582 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2007, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

Powerball will have a tough time reclaiming sole possession of the record.  Unless of course they get lucky and a jackpot rolls over at about $370m, and then the cap goes into effect at $395m.

It doesnt matter if Powerball gets to $370 million or higher before the cap because it will still not go over $390 million annuity.  The cap is set from the previous record of $365 million, not how high the jackpot is before the cap.  So all powerball can do now is TIE the record.  But even if PB reaches $390 million, the cash value would only be approximately $187 million compared to Mega Millions $233 million.

California
                  United States
                  Member #46824
                  October 1, 2006
                  270 Posts
                  Posted: March 7, 2007, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

To all the Powerball afficiandos...how exactly does the Powerball cap/roll down work?  As I'm in California I play Mega Millions and Super Lotto Plus so please enlighten me.

The current Powerball record is $365 million.  If the jackpot for the drawing is at $360 and is not won what happens to the jackpot amount for the next drawing? 

What if for some strange reason the jackpot is $365 and not won?  Is the maximum it can go up $25 million with the rest rolling down to the 5+0 winners?

Thanks in advance for your answers

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #50273
                    March 3, 2007
                    348 Posts
                    Posted: March 7, 2007, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

I got my $10 bucks on tonights powerbal jackpot!  I hope I win it!  Good luck to everyone else!

Greenwich, CT
                      United States
                      Member #4793
                      May 24, 2004
                      1822 Posts
                      Posted: March 7, 2007, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

To all the Powerball afficiandos...how exactly does the Powerball cap/roll down work?  As I'm in California I play Mega Millions and Super Lotto Plus so please enlighten me.

The current Powerball record is $365 million.  If the jackpot for the drawing is at $360 and is not won what happens to the jackpot amount for the next drawing? 

What if for some strange reason the jackpot is $365 and not won?  Is the maximum it can go up $25 million with the rest rolling down to the 5+0 winners?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Right.  If the final total for the drawing is $360m, then the next draw will cap the jackpot at $390m (25m above the record), and any additional funds that would have gone to the jackpot will go to the next highest prize level in which there is a winner, which will almost certainly be 5+0.

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: March 7, 2007, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

$233 million cash!!!!? That's a TRUE WORLD RECORD. It even beats Euro Millions' record of $229 million set on November 17, 2006.

On a side note, Mega Millions sold 212,819,366 tickets for Tuesday night's draw, which is another record (at least for the US).

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                          Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #416
                          June 23, 2002
                          1614 Posts
                          Posted: March 7, 2007, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

I just saw the sales figures also.  Over $210,000,000 in tickets sold....truly amazing.  Almost all states sold more tickets then people in the states!  haha

B-rad

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #50273
                            March 3, 2007
                            348 Posts
                            Posted: March 7, 2007, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

I think we will see another huge jackpot before this year is out.

twisted's avatar - underground
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #2376
                              September 25, 2003
                              582 Posts
                              Posted: March 7, 2007, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

If the jackpot is at $360 million and rolls, the maximum it will get to is $390 million because the previous record was $365 million.  The cap rule says that the jackpot can only roll upto $25 million higher than the previous record.

Even if the jackpot is at $389 million before rolling, it will only be allowed to reach $390 million.