Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MM quick pick winners?

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Columbus, OH
United States
Member #7282
September 28, 2004
10 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2007, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Does anyone know if any website has info if either jackpot winner or any of the 43 2nd prize winners used quick pick? I'm interested to see how often quick pick has a winner? Or even is this info available since so many states are involved? No Pity!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23262 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23262 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

That info is in the news story posted on LP.  He used QPs. (10)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2007, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

How many of 2 winners used QP is meaningless. For a long time lotteries have been reporting that about 60 to 70% of the winners used QP's and the same percentage of sales are QP's.

If the lotteries  care to look they know everything there is to know about the sale of every combination that was sold. Where it was bought, when it was bought, how many other combinations were on the same ticket, and if that ticket was sold in the same transaction as the ticket(s) printed before or after. The only question is how closely they look (I'm guessing the marketing department looks pretty closely), how much the multi-state lotteries combine the data from each state, and how much they make readily available to the public.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2007, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

How many of 2 winners used QP is meaningless. For a long time lotteries have been reporting that about 60 to 70% of the winners used QP's and the same percentage of sales are QP's.

If the lotteries  care to look they know everything there is to know about the sale of every combination that was sold. Where it was bought, when it was bought, how many other combinations were on the same ticket, and if that ticket was sold in the same transaction as the ticket(s) printed before or after. The only question is how closely they look (I'm guessing the marketing department looks pretty closely), how much the multi-state lotteries combine the data from each state, and how much they make readily available to the public.

Yeah, it's kind of a joke, really.

I made a simple inquiry awhile back asking  'How many tickets are bought that are WB 1-2-3-4-5 and PB 6 ?', and they told me they don't have that information. 

I could see where they don't want to get into answering questions about certain number combos being sold, but I thought 1-2-3-4-5 and 6 was more of a human interest story, I know I've read that they sell quite a few of that combo as 'one set is as good as any other' (which we all know is not true, in a certain sense). 

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: March 9, 2007, 12:48 am - IP Logged

"We don't have that information"  is true even if "we don't have that information handy but could get it easily enough" is also true.

If NJ sold over 20 million tickets and knew in less than half an hour that they sold a winner we can assume at least one of a few things is true 1. They've either got a very fast computer, or 2. the entry for the winning ticket was somewhere towards the beginning of the database, or 3. the database can be searched without starting at the beginning.  #2 suggests that either the winning ticket was bought early (or late if the order is reversed) or the database is already sorted in some fashion.  #3 would also suggest that the database is already sorted numerically when sales close. I'd hope they're using  state of the art equipment that would be fast, and it just makes sense that the database would be sorted on the fly as tickets are sold, and possibly split into  categories, such as mega ball or first number. That all means that it should also be pretty easy for them to check on the more obvious combinations such as 1,2,3,4,5 and 5,10,15,20,25, diagonal patterns, etc. It's entirely possible that they don't consider that info to be useful and therefore don't track it (making the claim about not having the info true), but it should be fairly easy to check if they wanted.

In the early 80's NY was definitely paying attention to such things. Over 10,000 people were playing the diagonal pattern starting with #1 and dropping down 1 and over 1 on every drawing and the lottery took out newspaper ads telling people to stop doing it.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2007, 1:55 am - IP Logged

I can search the PB database and get a reply back in about 7 seconds... so I would imagine they can too, with more details.