Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying a ticket

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago
United States
Member #50524
March 7, 2007
7 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the lottery game aside from scratch offs. So, please pardon my ignorance.

How do you purchase the correct wager in Illinois? In other words, what is the correct terminology to use?

Last night, I wanted to buy one 6-Way Straight/Box ticket. The vendor printed two tickets: StrBx $1.00 & Box $0.50.

Is that right? I'm not sure what I was supposed to pay. I thought it would be $2 total.

Thanks!

derek7's avatar - speedykat
    IL
    United States
    Member #34578
    March 4, 2006
    198 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

I assume you mean Pick 3.

Welcome shygirl,

Usually skip the part of "n way" and just say STRAIGHT or BOX or STRAIGHT BOX.

I think you should receive one STR/ BOX ticket for $1 and you should pay $1. (In it it would be kind of hidden $0.50 ticket for STR and $0.50 ticket for BOX).

You may want to fill the playslip too. They do not have advanced options printed like COMBO or multidraw, but you can choose the amount and the STR, BOX, STR/BOX wager.

n-way will be assumed based on your numbers and price is same for non-combo tickets. If you ask for quick pick, it will be random, random number and random n-way.

Derek

chippie's avatar - Lottery-064.jpg

Bahamas
      Member #31284
      January 27, 2006
      8962 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

I hope I understand you correctly

Example:

123 ...can go 6 ways and for you to win $800.00 you would have to box it for $6.00 which would be $1 st if it came straight....... so if you box it for $6 that would equal  $1st

If your looking to win $400.00 you would box it for $3.00 which is equal to 50 cent st if it came straight.

chippie's avatar - Lottery-064.jpg

Bahamas
        Member #31284
        January 27, 2006
        8962 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I assume you mean Pick 3.

Welcome shygirl,

Usually skip the part of "n way" and just say STRAIGHT or BOX or STRAIGHT BOX.

I think you should receive one STR/ BOX ticket for $1 and you should pay $1. (In it it would be kind of hidden $0.50 ticket for STR and $0.50 ticket for BOX).

You may want to fill the playslip too. They do not have advanced options printed like COMBO or multidraw, but you can choose the amount and the STR, BOX, STR/BOX wager.

n-way will be assumed based on your numbers and price is same for non-combo tickets. If you ask for quick pick, it will be random, random number and random n-way.

Derek

You would make better sense of it cause your from the states, thanks!!!

Chicago
          United States
          Member #50524
          March 7, 2007
          7 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

Thanks! 

Yes, I mean Pick 3.

Ok, so if I wanted to wager a $1 for both choices (str & box), I should ask for a $1 Str ticket and a $1 box ticket.

IL
            United States
            Member #34578
            March 4, 2006
            198 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

$1 box pays $80 in Illinois on 6way number.

$1 box pays $160 in Illinois on 3way (one pair + some digit) number. 

$0.50 box pays $40 in Illinois on 6way number. (same $40 if BOX is just part of $1 STR/BOX)

$0.50 box pays $80 in Illinois on 3way (one pair + some digit) number. (same $80 if BOX is just part of $1 STR/BOX)

Chicago
              United States
              Member #50524
              March 7, 2007
              7 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

oh, ok! I understand now. Thanks, chippie & Derek!

IL
                United States
                Member #34578
                March 4, 2006
                198 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

yes,

or $2 STR/BOX

It would be 1 ticket but increased amount printed. You can go up to $5 in ILL I think.

While filling playslip, only $1 is maximum. You need to say your numbers if you need more than 1 USD

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23353 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the lottery game aside from scratch offs. So, please pardon my ignorance.

How do you purchase the correct wager in Illinois? In other words, what is the correct terminology to use?

Last night, I wanted to buy one 6-Way Straight/Box ticket. The vendor printed two tickets: StrBx $1.00 & Box $0.50.

Is that right? I'm not sure what I was supposed to pay. I thought it would be $2 total.

Thanks!

Welcome to Lottery Post!

I'm glad you posted your question.  So many people are scared to post "newbie" questions, but it's really OK!  I hope you decide to stay and learn more.  There is so much that it can be mind-boggling, so just go slow, read, and ask.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #50524
                    March 7, 2007
                    7 Posts
                    Posted: March 8, 2007, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Thank you, Todd! I was scared to post but figured what the heck!

I've been studying different ways of picking numbers on here for a while. I decided to see if a few strategies worked and missed last night's pick 4 by one number. The numbers were 7716, I played 1876. Not too bad for playing for the first time.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23353 Posts
                      Posted: March 8, 2007, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Thank you, Todd! I was scared to post but figured what the heck!

I've been studying different ways of picking numbers on here for a while. I decided to see if a few strategies worked and missed last night's pick 4 by one number. The numbers were 7716, I played 1876. Not too bad for playing for the first time.

Not bad!  Pick 4 is a challenging game, and that's a great start.  Keep at it, and try some various things posted by different people.  Don't be afraid to combine different concepts and numbers from different people.

Also, use the predictions board to experiment and to track your progress over time!  It is such a great way to hone your skills, and best of all does not cost anything to use.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!