Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I wonder if the Powerball will reach epic proportions?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
stephi's avatar - winifrid
rural lowcountry, south carolina
United States
Member #31677
February 2, 2006
196 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2007, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I just wonder since MM reached 300 million plus this year. I wonder if Powerball will match it this year.

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: March 9, 2007, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

My vote is no.

For some reason, PB seems to get hit more. Maybe part of it is the fact that it is played in much more states than MM....

For some silly reason, MM seems harder to hit.

md
      United States
      Member #14047
      April 20, 2005
      580 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2007, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

My vote is no.

For some reason, PB seems to get hit more. Maybe part of it is the fact that it is played in much more states than MM....

For some silly reason, MM seems harder to hit.

People use to say the same thing about Mega Millions.  It goes in cycles.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1958 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2007, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

PowerBall is hit more because of 2 reasons:

1. The odds of winning PowerBall's jackpot is 1 : 146,107,962 compared to 1 : 175,711,536  for Mega Millions jackpot.

2. A lot more states play PowerBall than Mega Millions. 

Gonna win.Big Smile

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
          Member #28409
          December 15, 2005
          1198 Posts
          Posted: March 10, 2007, 12:45 am - IP Logged

I don't think it will get very high this time. Maybe later in the year. Maybe. Either one, I would like to win.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: March 10, 2007, 1:12 am - IP Logged

'Very high' is a relative term, I'd be happy as a clam for 15 mill.  or 200,000.00

I have not compared the states involved between the two games, but it isn't the number of states - it's the number of people in those combined states, or rather, the number of people buying tickets in those states.

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2007, 1:31 am - IP Logged

People use to say the same thing about Mega Millions.  It goes in cycles.

Last year, Powerball was hit only 10 times, while Mega Millions was hit a record 15 times.

In 2005, Powerball was hit a record 14 times, while Mega Millions was hit only 9 times.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3502 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2007, 4:03 am - IP Logged

PowerBall is hit more because of 2 reasons:

1. The odds of winning PowerBall's jackpot is 1 : 146,107,962 compared to 1 : 175,711,536  for Mega Millions jackpot.

2. A lot more states play PowerBall than Mega Millions. 

As guesser say, it's not the number of states. The states that MM is sold in have a population of about 155 million, which is more than half of the people in the country. What matters is how many tickets are sold and what the odds are.  The odds for PB make it more likely to be won with sales of any given amount, but if MM sells 100 million tickets and PB sells 50 million, there's a better chance that MM will be hit.  Probability only suggests what will happen, but in theory either game could be won 5 times in a row on sales of 15 million tickets. 10 to 15 jackpot hits per year isn't enough for a small departure from the expected number of hits to mean very much. PB being hit a few more times could be the same as a pick 3 number coming up  3 times in 2000 drawings, or could be explained by a  couple of  combinatis that are heavy on birthday numbers. The number of 2nd place winners inth elast 5 years is probably still off because of the fortune cookie incident

If anyone is ambitious they can always find out how many tickets were sold for each game over a given period and see how close each game comes to  the number of winners we could expect.

stephi's avatar - winifrid
                  rural lowcountry, south carolina
                  United States
                  Member #31677
                  February 2, 2006
                  196 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2007, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

thanks y'all for all y'alls' answers.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1958 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2007, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

As guesser say, it's not the number of states. The states that MM is sold in have a population of about 155 million, which is more than half of the people in the country. What matters is how many tickets are sold and what the odds are.  The odds for PB make it more likely to be won with sales of any given amount, but if MM sells 100 million tickets and PB sells 50 million, there's a better chance that MM will be hit.  Probability only suggests what will happen, but in theory either game could be won 5 times in a row on sales of 15 million tickets. 10 to 15 jackpot hits per year isn't enough for a small departure from the expected number of hits to mean very much. PB being hit a few more times could be the same as a pick 3 number coming up  3 times in 2000 drawings, or could be explained by a  couple of  combinatis that are heavy on birthday numbers. The number of 2nd place winners inth elast 5 years is probably still off because of the fortune cookie incident

If anyone is ambitious they can always find out how many tickets were sold for each game over a given period and see how close each game comes to  the number of winners we could expect.

The keyword here is "states". Just the fact alone that a lot more states play PowerBall give the people who live in a state that plays Mega Millions more opportunities to go cross border and get a PowerBall ticket, especially in the north eastern states since those states are smaller. There are more people who live in a Mega Millions state that don't have to make as long of a round trip to get a PowerBall ticket than the people who live in states with PowerBall making a trip to get a MegaMillions ticket.

Gonna win.Big Smile

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                      Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5587 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2007, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

The keyword here is "states". Just the fact alone that a lot more states play PowerBall give the people who live in a state that plays Mega Millions more opportunities to go cross border and get a PowerBall ticket, especially in the north eastern states since those states are smaller. There are more people who live in a Mega Millions state that don't have to make as long of a round trip to get a PowerBall ticket than the people who live in states with PowerBall making a trip to get a MegaMillions ticket.

I Agree!  Powerball and Mega are around the corner. I am 10 miles from three state lotteries two A rated and one F rated.

United States
                        Member #10720
                        January 23, 2005
                        933 Posts
                        Posted: March 10, 2007, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

You would have to have statistics on total sales vs. MM. One major thing holding back Powerball is the rolldown feature that kicks in. If it got to the triggering level (its previous record) it would need at least 2 more rollovers to overtake the last Mega. I predict a winner tonight in West Virginia, and the bonus ball to be 01 and one of the white balls to be 26.

United States
                          Member #10720
                          January 23, 2005
                          933 Posts
                          Posted: March 11, 2007, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

Sorry; I meant to say I predict some players in WV would match the bonus ball. ANYWAY, one thing that HELPS the PB jackpot accelerate is the PowerPlay option, that will pour a lot of money in early on. I tend to drop PowerPlay when the jackpot is high because then I prefer more chances at the jackpot for the same cost than a chance to multiply a lesser prize.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3502 Posts
                            Posted: March 11, 2007, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

PB being offered in more states may make it easy for people from out of state to drive to a PB state, but there are at least two probems with that  helping PB  more than it helps MM.  One is that only a small percentage of tickets are sold to people from out of state, especially when the jackpot is less than 150 million or so. The other is that the people from PB states can drive to a MM state just as easily, so it works both ways. Those small northeastern states does mean that anyone from the lone state of Massachusetts can drive less than 75 miles and be in one of the 5 border states that sell PB. Nobody drives from MA to Me, though, because that requires driving all the way through NH, which offers a convenient liquor/lottery store that has its own exit off of I-95. The people in all five of those PB states can just as easily drive to MA to buy MM tickets. Some of those people will be from ME, and some will  be more than 75 miles from the border.

Any way you look at it the potential market for MM is the bigger market.