Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

working out syndicate groups?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
coventry
United Kingdom
Member #50561
March 8, 2007
7 Posts
Posted: March 11, 2007, 7:06 am - IP Logged

What is the best way to work out sydicate groups for lotteries?

You have variables like members joining eratically and paying eratically.

So how would you work out how to place people in sydicate groups weekly? 

Baton Rouge, LA
    United States
    Member #4602
    May 7, 2004
    699 Posts
    Posted: March 11, 2007, 11:21 am - IP Logged

I am presently running a pool for my staff at work.  What we do is every payday(every 2 weeks), each member puts $4 in.  What we then do is buy a mix of Powerball and Lotto tickets for the next 4 drawings.  Louisiana allows players to buy tickets for multiple draws, so we buy for the 4 drawings that will take place over the next 2 weeks until the next payday.  Since there are currently 7 members, we buy 4 Powerball and 3 Lotto tickets.  If a member drops out, we will simply buy fewer tickets and if a new member comes in, we will buy more tickets.  I think it works pretty well for us. 

If we win a small amount, say a few dollars, we discuss what we will do and what usually happens is we end up buying more tickets for the next pool.  If we win the big one, we will of course split it evenly.  Our pool is pretty small right now, only 7 members, and that's the way I want to keep it.  Having to chase down too many people is just too much trouble.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Good luck.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

coventry
      United Kingdom
      Member #50561
      March 8, 2007
      7 Posts
      Posted: March 11, 2007, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Sounds good.

Any other ideas all?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23273 Posts
        Posted: March 11, 2007, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

Sounds good.

Any other ideas all?

Just make sure that:

1. everyone in the pool (what you call a "syndicate") has photocopies of all the tickets bought,
        2. everyone's name appears on a list of participants,
        3. the list states that anyone not on the list is not in the pool, and,
        4. the list state the exact drawing date, and states that it is only valid for that one drawing only.

Also, be sure NEVER to use web-based pyramid scams like VWD ( ), which claim to put you into a lottery pool.  These web-based scams are prevalent in Europe especially, and I see that you're in the UK, so BEWARE.

If you want more info about VWD and why it's such a scam, use the Search feature in the Forums menu above.  (Let's not clutter this thread with nonsense about that scam, which has been dissected multiple times.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

coventry
          United Kingdom
          Member #50561
          March 8, 2007
          7 Posts
          Posted: March 11, 2007, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Thanks advice I did read about VWD and I very nearly joined it last week.

However I do have an idea for something similar and everyone can see back office so no cheating (but there are other good things too) and I will not cheat anyway as if there is a HEAVEN AND HELL I REALLY WANT TO GO UP AND NOT DOWN this is why I am trying to see how to work things.

So I really need a mathematician to help out.

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            699 Posts
            Posted: March 11, 2007, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Just make sure that:

1. everyone in the pool (what you call a "syndicate") has photocopies of all the tickets bought,
            2. everyone's name appears on a list of participants,
            3. the list states that anyone not on the list is not in the pool, and,
            4. the list state the exact drawing date, and states that it is only valid for that one drawing only.

Also, be sure NEVER to use web-based pyramid scams like VWD ( ), which claim to put you into a lottery pool.  These web-based scams are prevalent in Europe especially, and I see that you're in the UK, so BEWARE.

If you want more info about VWD and why it's such a scam, use the Search feature in the Forums menu above.  (Let's not clutter this thread with nonsense about that scam, which has been dissected multiple times.)

Some good points I left out.  I do make copies of all the tickets and distribute them to all the members and yes, I do keep a list.  In my case, it's the same members every 2 weeks, so it's not really an issue except if we get a new member or one leaves.  I don't actively recruit new members so the pool will be easier to manage, so those issues have rarely come up.

In spite of these precautions, there is a chance some issues will come up.  For example, I have a member of my pool who says she doesn't want a copy, but I give her one anyway and she immediately trashes it.  I don't understand this at all.  One day while chatting with a few of the members, another member(not the one I just mentioned) said we could have won and I could have kept the money and not said a word.  It was at that point I pointed out that I give a copy of the tickets to all pool members so they can check them as well and she responded, "well nobody does."  That kind of bothered me and I wasn't sure what to say at that point so I let it drop.  Fortunately, most of the members have known me for several years and know I'm not that kind of person and would never do that.  In fact, even if we just match the Powerball and win $3 I tell everyone.

A pool or syndicate can be a great way to play the lottery, but it's not without its pitfalls, even if you do take precautions.

Just my opinion.

Prisoner Six

coventry
              United Kingdom
              Member #50561
              March 8, 2007
              7 Posts
              Posted: March 11, 2007, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Some people are strange suppose thats whats makes us unique.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: March 11, 2007, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Some good points I left out.  I do make copies of all the tickets and distribute them to all the members and yes, I do keep a list.  In my case, it's the same members every 2 weeks, so it's not really an issue except if we get a new member or one leaves.  I don't actively recruit new members so the pool will be easier to manage, so those issues have rarely come up.

In spite of these precautions, there is a chance some issues will come up.  For example, I have a member of my pool who says she doesn't want a copy, but I give her one anyway and she immediately trashes it.  I don't understand this at all.  One day while chatting with a few of the members, another member(not the one I just mentioned) said we could have won and I could have kept the money and not said a word.  It was at that point I pointed out that I give a copy of the tickets to all pool members so they can check them as well and she responded, "well nobody does."  That kind of bothered me and I wasn't sure what to say at that point so I let it drop.  Fortunately, most of the members have known me for several years and know I'm not that kind of person and would never do that.  In fact, even if we just match the Powerball and win $3 I tell everyone.

A pool or syndicate can be a great way to play the lottery, but it's not without its pitfalls, even if you do take precautions.

Just my opinion.

The person that doesn't want to see the copy of the tickets: 2 things come to mind:

1) She's superstitious

2) Wait until you win, or she thinks you won.

As far as the other person that said 'well nobody does' (check the tickets), she sounds like trouble to me - I had one JUST like her, I'm betting eventually she will be. If she drops out, good for you, don't pursue her.  You are good to just let it drop, but now pray she drops out.  Be sure any Lottery 'business' takes place off of office property, IF you think this person will be a cancer.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23273 Posts
                  Posted: March 11, 2007, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Just my opinion.

You may want to insist that this odd person accept the list of tickets, or else they can't play in the pool.  What if one of your personal lottery tickets (not one in the pool) wins?  Can she say that it was one of the ones in the pool?  It may be a weak argument, but there have been many court battles like that.  And that's what all of this is to avoid.

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    699 Posts
                    Posted: March 11, 2007, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

You may want to insist that this odd person accept the list of tickets, or else they can't play in the pool.  What if one of your personal lottery tickets (not one in the pool) wins?  Can she say that it was one of the ones in the pool?  It may be a weak argument, but there have been many court battles like that.  And that's what all of this is to avoid.

The way I look at it is I always give her the copy of the tickets either directly or I leave it on her desk if I can't find her.  I don't understand why she doesn't want the copy, she's just funny that way.  She's also the one I often have to chase down for her share of the pool.

Your point about my personal tickets is a valid one, but some things I do can help reduce the chance of that happening.  For one thing, I always buy the pool tickets on payday Friday at lunch time at one of two places right around the corner from work.  In addition, these tickets are all multi-draw tickets good for the 4 draws that will take place between paydays. 

My personal tickets are always single draw tickets, purchased one of a few places which are close to my home, 13 miles from work.  I also keep them separate from the pool tickets and I never buy them at the same time as the pool tickets.  Not sure if it's enough, but I think it would protect me if anything did happen. 

Prisoner Six

Baton Rouge, LA
                      United States
                      Member #4602
                      May 7, 2004
                      699 Posts
                      Posted: March 11, 2007, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

The person that doesn't want to see the copy of the tickets: 2 things come to mind:

1) She's superstitious

2) Wait until you win, or she thinks you won.

As far as the other person that said 'well nobody does' (check the tickets), she sounds like trouble to me - I had one JUST like her, I'm betting eventually she will be. If she drops out, good for you, don't pursue her.  You are good to just let it drop, but now pray she drops out.  Be sure any Lottery 'business' takes place off of office property, IF you think this person will be a cancer.

It is possible she's superstitious, it just doesn't make sense.  She's also the one who I have to chase down for her share. 

The other person I don't know what to think of.  I didn't really want to let her in but I did just to keep peace in the office.  The pool started with me and a lady I shared my office with at the time.  I told her to keep it to herself but she let it slip and now my whole staff is in.  I know most of these people well and they trust me but one thing I know is money changes things.

The person who made the comment is at retirement age and hopefully will be gone soon.  That will take care of my problems with her I hope.

Prisoner Six

United Kingdom
                        Member #47118
                        October 20, 2006
                        1 Posts
                        Posted: March 11, 2007, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Hi there

I am also based in the UK, and have seen quite a lot of sites about VWD. I tried search this forum to see what has been written about them, but could not find anything, can you point me maybe to any such message?  or maybe the messages have been deleted???

Can anyone who participates in syndicate, tell me the following:

- what features of the website would make you want to join a syndicate? for instance, by looking at vwd, i get totally confused.... 

in particular - what features you like/dont like, what do you always look out for? does paypal turn you off like me? there are some sites here in the uk (very small), which also claim to organise syndicates over the net, but for one reason or the other i cannot put myself forward....

thanks,

m

Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23273 Posts
                          Posted: March 11, 2007, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Hi there

I am also based in the UK, and have seen quite a lot of sites about VWD. I tried search this forum to see what has been written about them, but could not find anything, can you point me maybe to any such message?  or maybe the messages have been deleted???

Can anyone who participates in syndicate, tell me the following:

- what features of the website would make you want to join a syndicate? for instance, by looking at vwd, i get totally confused.... 

in particular - what features you like/dont like, what do you always look out for? does paypal turn you off like me? there are some sites here in the uk (very small), which also claim to organise syndicates over the net, but for one reason or the other i cannot put myself forward....

thanks,

m

This is your first post, so the fact that it comes right after I criticized VWD makes me suspicious of you.  Sorry, but that's just the pattern.

There are a lot of people based primarily in the UK, who have chat boards setup, and as soon as one member sees criticism of VWD somewhere on the Internet, they alert the board and people start going there defending it.  Happens every time, almost like clockwork.

I said before that I don't want this to turn into another discussion about that scam, since there are so many threads posted about it already.  It also runs the risk of publicizing VWD -- even BAD comments about something get people to go check the thing out, and then we run the risk of losing more people to that scam.

They really speak with a forked tongue there.  It sounds really enticing, and the people who are lower down in the system may not even realize that they are doing lots of work to enrich the people running the scam.  That's how ALL pyramid scams work, and there is a certain segment of the population that gets taken in by them, in search of instant wealth.  Wealth that never comes but seems right around the corner.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2007, 12:18 am - IP Logged

The way I look at it is I always give her the copy of the tickets either directly or I leave it on her desk if I can't find her.  I don't understand why she doesn't want the copy, she's just funny that way.  She's also the one I often have to chase down for her share of the pool.

Your point about my personal tickets is a valid one, but some things I do can help reduce the chance of that happening.  For one thing, I always buy the pool tickets on payday Friday at lunch time at one of two places right around the corner from work.  In addition, these tickets are all multi-draw tickets good for the 4 draws that will take place between paydays. 

My personal tickets are always single draw tickets, purchased one of a few places which are close to my home, 13 miles from work.  I also keep them separate from the pool tickets and I never buy them at the same time as the pool tickets.  Not sure if it's enough, but I think it would protect me if anything did happen. 

It doesn't matter when or where you buy 'certain' tickets, if you ever got sued and went to court it would not matter, unless you have it written in the contract that 'only tickets purchased at xxxxx are part of the office pool, tickets purchased elsewhere are not'.  I can almost guarantee you the lawsuit would be over you pulling a switcharoo on them, the jury would be sympathetic to them, and you would probably lose, even though people 'magically know' when and where you buy THEIR tickets. 

We are absolutely not trying to take the fun out of this for you, but if you have read the number of stories that we have regarding lottery lawsuits, you would know where we are coming from. 

Heck, If I was the lady, I would insist on a copy of the tickets AND I would insist on printing/signing my name on a master copy, that way you know she is paid-up. No signature - not paid-up - not in the game.

I'd never buy 4 drawings in advance though, either. I'd go two, but never more than two. What if a number in the first game repeats to the second game ? Anymore, that happens about once every 4-5 games, what about a number hitting 3 times in a row ?  It's very rare, but it happens. Four times in a row ?  I've never seen it.

coventry
                              United Kingdom
                              Member #50561
                              March 8, 2007
                              7 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2007, 3:19 am - IP Logged

A contract perhaps?

signed by participants, the contract saying what syndicate they are in and a receipt made each ticket draw and copy of ticket(s).

If they do no accept this rule of joinig then tough they cannot play.