Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Help Me Please!!

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
wantbetter4us's avatar - yesnurse
Virginia
United States
Member #50775
March 15, 2007
6 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2007, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Hi, everyone!!! I am new to Lottery post and new to lottery playing all together. I was recently introduced by a co-worker and have been trying to play since then. My problem is I have no idea what I'm doing. I sat down and generated a list of numbers for pick 3, pick 4, pick 5, Mega Million, and win 4 life (I live in VA). I also get numbers from co-workers to add to my list. All in all I have numbers everywhere and don't know how to go about playing them. This week a co-worker gave me a pick 4 to play... I folded it up... it came out. A few weeks ago I played $200 in Mega Million and did not play pick 4  (midday). I had 2728 as the 2nd number on my list and it came out straight. Today I marked my pick 3 play slips... got discouraged and didn't play. I took a nap with my daughter and when I woke up and checked the drawing one of the numbers came out straight that I had put on the play slip. I went and played the numbers for tonight but was I disgusted and mad at myself for not playing midday... I sure was!!! I also feel that with scratchers you have to play big to win big, so I buy $20 tickets and I feel so bad when they are worth nothing... sometimes three in a row are not winners.  I really want to play and win but I don't want to go broke doing it or feel like "a gambler". Do you all have any tips for me on how to play the right way and tricks from the pro's on how to be organized with my numbers???

Tree

"One day it will be me!!!"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2007, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

If you don't want to lose money or gamble then don't play the lotteries, but you probably already know that. 

Everybody who comes to LP is looking for a way to beat the lotteries, if or when they figure it out they leave.  Personally I don't think any of them ever do, they just get tire of looking and quit posting.  I'm still here and still looking, I get lucky just enough to keep me looking.  Good luck to you.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1954 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2007, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

First off, never play more than you can afford. I usually play $5 per PowerBall drawing, but when it gets above $100M, I'll play $10 per drawing. That's what I can afford, and I keep control of myself. After that's taken care of, you can look into improving your odds of winning. There are lots of ways you can improve your odds of winning. Go to your state lottery website and look at past winning numbers and see if you can find any patterns between the results.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
        Member #48769
        January 8, 2007
        20 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2007, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

I agree with the other members here, dont play more money than you can loose.  I have been playing for a few years and the odds that you will win are not in your favor. a good system for choosing numbers lowers the odds against you, but the odds still favor the house.  play for fun.

United States
          Member #10720
          January 23, 2005
          933 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2007, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

If you generate 100 numbers on Pick3, your odds of one of them coming out STR are 1 in 10 so it would happen often even without any system. If you have some kind of system in exchange for sharing it I would write a program to help pick the numbers and a backtest mechanism. I generally avoid scratch-offs, I make more on them from discarded ones or what others give me, ones I buy myself rarely win. The numbers can at least be systemized sometimes.

Generally on the Pickits the Lottery will pay back 50c for every $1 you play. You would need to consistently pick winning sets more than twice as often as chance in order to have any profit. A backtest will let you know what your ratio is.

It happens to me a lot, too. I play something in nj and it comes out in PA, or it comes out a few days late, or the # I was thinking of but didn't play, comes out. But also there are often times when a similar fluke (a bug in my program or not marking Midday) will result in an unexpected win.

The less numbers you need to play, the better your system is. Usually when I win it's from my first few choices.

Amarillo/Austin
            United States
            Member #1424
            April 25, 2003
            696 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2007, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

Realize the fact that no one really has a good system for the bigger lottery games.  If they claim they do, they are trying to sell you something.  Most of the members on this site are well-meaning people seeking to beat the lottery.  An honorable goal.  There are, however, a few who are out to sell you some snake oil.  Trust your gut instinct when reading anything about a scheme to win the lottery.  If there was, the states would change the rules.  Good luck and have fun.  That is what this site is all about.

Orangeman                                  Drum

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
              Lotto City, Michigan
              United States
              Member #36256
              March 30, 2006
              1472 Posts
              Posted: March 15, 2007, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Welcome!

Read the various posts on this site. Some of the greatest minds in the history of the lottery can be found right here at Lottery Post!

angelm's avatar - anne
                richmond ky.
                United States
                Member #15877
                May 22, 2005
                8472 Posts
                Posted: March 15, 2007, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

Welcome-alot of great ideas,systems here at LP!

dnroth's avatar - pryd

United States
                  Member #37110
                  April 10, 2006
                  43 Posts
                  Posted: March 15, 2007, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

Speaking of spending responsibly, I read something somewhere recently that you should aim to only spend .5 (that's one-half of a percent) to 1% of your gross monthly income each month on the lottery.  I consider that a good guideline.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                    Beautiful Florida
                    United States
                    Member #5709
                    July 18, 2004
                    20124 Posts
                    Posted: March 15, 2007, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Speaking of spending responsibly, I read something somewhere recently that you should aim to only spend .5 (that's one-half of a percent) to 1% of your gross monthly income each month on the lottery.  I consider that a good guideline.

The first thing you should do, is pick a budget within your means without hurting you or your family.The second thing you should do is to STAY with it, don't waiver one way or the other, Stay with it....! trust your intuition and the hits will come. THERE is no sure way to beat the lottery....!

Welcome and good luck to you.

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2007, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

If you don't smoke and drink only water then you have even more to spend on lotteries, that how I figure.  When I'm buying lottery tickets and someone  in line smoking and/or holding a sixpack asks me how can I afford to waste money on lottery tickets, I tell them it's none of you business but FYI the same way you can afford to waste money on your smokes and drinks, I work.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

stephi's avatar - winifrid
                        rural lowcountry, south carolina
                        United States
                        Member #31677
                        February 2, 2006
                        196 Posts
                        Posted: March 16, 2007, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

Welcome aboard to Lottery Post, it really is a ball and I hope that you have a ball too!

bobg's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
                          parlin/nj
                          United States
                          Member #49795
                          February 14, 2007
                          3 Posts
                          Posted: March 16, 2007, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

unless you get lucky, don't bet on the lottery to make you rich it's very easy to get involved but you will go broke.  play responsible and stay away from the $20 scratch offs, like i said unless you happen to get lucky it's a no win situation.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3475 Posts
                            Posted: March 16, 2007, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Like all rules of thumb that one is only reasonable sometimes. Somebody who has a monthly income of $1000 can't pay for what mosy people would consider an extremely modest lifestyle and shouldn't be spending $5 on lottery tickets unless they're happy with the life that income can pay for. Somebody with an income of $50,000 a month could afford to throw away 50% of that income and still live a very comfortable lifestyle, but the more you spend the closer you're likely to be to the statistical norm of losing 50% of what you bet.

The original poster's statements sound problematic to me. Kind of like somebody who just tried cocaine and really liked it. Played wisely the lottery is harmless and there's a slim chance it will  put money in your pocket. For a few people it's like that first line that eventually leads to rock bottom.