Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Little lotto and Lotto winning tickets sold at same store

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 10 years ago by tntea.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #48769
January 8, 2007
20 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2007, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Both winning tickets for wednesday nights little and regular lotto were sold at the same store in Illinois. What are the odds of this happening?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2007, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

was it another one of those white hen pantry stores? i read those were lucky places to play.

United States
      Member #48769
      January 8, 2007
      20 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

was it another one of those white hen pantry stores? i read those were lucky places to play.

no, it was Prairie Pantry in Decatur IL.  The lotto was a QP and little lotto was picked numbers. I wander if the same person won both , the jackpot for the lotto was 2.75 million and little lotto was $100,000.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: March 16, 2007, 12:11 am - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE

That's the first thing I thought, a White Hen Pantry.  

I don't know what the odds on this were, but it is incredible- and it wasn't Chicago, more incredible!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
          Illinois
          United States
          Member #46704
          September 23, 2006
          3692 Posts
          Posted: March 16, 2007, 12:20 am - IP Logged

And it would be most incredible with all that being said if it was the same person

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: March 16, 2007, 12:28 am - IP Logged

And it would be most incredible with all that being said if it was the same person

This is too funny.

I was watching a show about a very similar case. This was about 5 months ago, where a woman bought a scratch-off at her regular store and won a million. Not a couple of years later, won another million from the same store playing scratch-offs. I don't remember if it was the same game, but who cares right?

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2007, 12:29 am - IP Logged

The odds depend on how many tickets were sold for each lottery, the odds for each game and how many games the store has sold tickets for. If it's a busy store they may have sold 1000 or more tickets for each game for any given drawing.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                Gurnee, Illinois
                United States
                Member #49731
                February 12, 2007
                917 Posts
                Posted: March 16, 2007, 1:50 am - IP Logged

Yeah I saw that too.  At first, they were still indicating that the next little lotto jackpot was $175,000, so I thought it may have been a cut and paste mistake...but then I guess they caught their mistake and the next time I clicked back to check it again, the next jackpot was indicating $100,000...so I said WOW!  I wonder if there has ever been a store that sold two winning jackpot tickets for the same lottery drawing...like Mega, Powerball, or even lotto?

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  917 Posts
                  Posted: March 16, 2007, 1:51 am - IP Logged

Excluding repeat plays by same person, that is.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2007, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

" I wonder if there has ever been a store that sold two winning jackpot tickets for the same lottery drawing"

Selling two winning tickets to the same lottery drawing isn't that uncommon because a fair number of people buy two tickets with the same number. Perhaps 15 years ago two friends each bought a ticket with the same numbers for NY lotto at a deli in Newburgh and won.

Having two tickets with the same numbers  sold independently at the same store would depend on the game odds and the number of tickets sold.  Illinois' little lotto has odds of 1 in 575,757, so if a store sold 577 tickets there would be about a 1 in 1000 chance that any one of those tickets would have the same numbers as one of the other 576 tickets, and there would be about a 1 in 1000 chance that one of  576 combinations would win.  That makes it about a 1 in 1 million chance that a particular store would independently sell two winning tickets for a particular drawing. Of course, if there's a winner it had to be sold somewhere, and if the store that sold 1 winning ticket sold 576 other tickets there would be a 1 in 1000 chance that one of them would have the same numbers. I only used the idea of 577 tickets because it makes the odds a convenient 1 in 1000, and the actual ticket sales could be a lot different.  For those numbers you would expect that about once in every 1000 winning draws the store should have sold 2 winners. If there are a dozen games with similar odds and each produces a couple of dozen winners each year we could expect two winners at the same store about every 4 years. Of course for games with higher odds it becomes less likely to happen.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: March 17, 2007, 10:10 am - IP Logged

" I wonder if there has ever been a store that sold two winning jackpot tickets for the same lottery drawing"

Selling two winning tickets to the same lottery drawing isn't that uncommon because a fair number of people buy two tickets with the same number. Perhaps 15 years ago two friends each bought a ticket with the same numbers for NY lotto at a deli in Newburgh and won.

Having two tickets with the same numbers  sold independently at the same store would depend on the game odds and the number of tickets sold.  Illinois' little lotto has odds of 1 in 575,757, so if a store sold 577 tickets there would be about a 1 in 1000 chance that any one of those tickets would have the same numbers as one of the other 576 tickets, and there would be about a 1 in 1000 chance that one of  576 combinations would win.  That makes it about a 1 in 1 million chance that a particular store would independently sell two winning tickets for a particular drawing. Of course, if there's a winner it had to be sold somewhere, and if the store that sold 1 winning ticket sold 576 other tickets there would be a 1 in 1000 chance that one of them would have the same numbers. I only used the idea of 577 tickets because it makes the odds a convenient 1 in 1000, and the actual ticket sales could be a lot different.  For those numbers you would expect that about once in every 1000 winning draws the store should have sold 2 winners. If there are a dozen games with similar odds and each produces a couple of dozen winners each year we could expect two winners at the same store about every 4 years. Of course for games with higher odds it becomes less likely to happen.

This was two different games...

Having two tickets with the same number wouldn't help here..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44