Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The vastness of the odds for a jackpot win...

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 10 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: March 26, 2007, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Yeah that is why I want the millions NOW, not 30 years from now when the million is actually a lot less. Not to mention the fact that you can do a lot more while you are young with that kind of money, at least physically.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: March 26, 2007, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

I'm a very confident person. When it comes to me, no matter what it is that needs to get done, it's not a matter of if it will happen, but a matter of when. I will win a jackpot.Guitar

Gonna win.Big Smile

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
      Gurnee, Illinois
      United States
      Member #49731
      February 12, 2007
      917 Posts
      Posted: March 26, 2007, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Living ones life based on odds is boring!  Besides, whoever reads the odds legalese on those playslips anyway...it's just the same as that fine print on all those credit card solicitations in my mailbox...who cares!  All what is important is that number 1...everything after the "in" is there to keep the brainiacs from playing which allows other more needy (yes even JW was needy) folks to dream and play.  I would say playing the lottery is a better habit than smoking and drinking...at least you have the chance to get something in return besides cancer!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
        Gurnee, Illinois
        United States
        Member #49731
        February 12, 2007
        917 Posts
        Posted: March 26, 2007, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

odds smodds, oh my god i'm gonna win the jackpot one day soon...destiny baby!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5118 Posts
          Posted: March 26, 2007, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Hi, justxploring, I have read your posts for ages here, and am a big fan of yours. :)

I joined because I have read and read for eons and have not any 2 cents to show for it, and am fascinated by the whole topic. I am sure nearly everyone here realizes they are, in theory, "wasting their money" on these games, but play for diversion and a shot in the dark. I meant not to sound pessimistic per se, but honesty is a fault of mine so beware. :)

Like anyone, even die hard sceptics, I have bought a scratch off a few times and some lotto tickets. I once won 100 bucks in a scratch off, but I would not call myself a confirmed weekly bettor. I probably would not have played much at all if not for friends playing and telling me they were gonna win, so I would get back at their gloating by doing likewise and hoping the bolt of lightning would strike while telling them the odds were so long it was a sucker bet. Mega Millions is the game played where I lived. I bought, in the same excitement as everyone had over the March 6 drawing, 10 bucks (the most I have ever spent on gambling in my life) worth of selected numbers (using a computer program tracking past draws, etc.) and Quick Picks, 5 lines each. I had 100% of the numbers actually drawn in a number set of only like 35 total distinct numbers, but they were not on the same lines in that 10 bucks worth of picks! :( I mused to everyone who would listen if I had only wheeled those numbers...LOL

Although the habit is less expensive than smoking and probably safer, using T Harv Eker's Secrets of the Millionaire Mind and other such books, we learn that most folks take and use what is called "disposable" income and play lotto. This means like 10-20 bucks per week or so. If you took the same 10 bucks, weekly, used in lotto and invested it in interest bearing 5% + CD, in some years you WOULD be a millionaire! You would be building *passive income* like rich people do. People do not often realize how much dough they are blowing and what that money could be used for, even to build the wealth they hope to obtain in a big lotto win, which is not likely to occur in their lifetimes but could and would occur by FORCE in the above scenario, which has equally interesting math to back it up.

So the question arises, is it better to get rich quick on a maybe or is it better to get rich slow on a certainty? 

letitride...........>

about $100 to $200 a week will GET you in the ballPARK>>>>>>>>>

for a lottery WIN in our LIFETIME>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ENJOYED this post and want to CONTINUE all otherrrrrrrrrr'sssssssss

LP member's..............................OPINION'sssssssssssssssssssssssss

THANK'sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

toTodd for LP>>

if UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUWISH to WIN..................LETITRIDE!!  

United States
            Member #43694
            July 23, 2006
            184 Posts
            Posted: March 26, 2007, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

i agree with most of what you say here, unfortunately the odds are stacked against you., thats obvious, and i also agree with the fact that most systems, even the best, are a waste of time, and a shot in the dark. 

but you fail to bring up the points about when some actually do win.  your life is not just changed, its dramatically changed....especially if you hit hundreds of millions, not only is your life completely changed, your kids, and your grandkids lives are completely changed.  you cannot win if you dont play, simple as that.  for the people that live in fantasy land, this next is for you. those of you that are realists already kknow this........i dont care what kind of highly successful job you get, or how many asses you kiss....in the real world....those who believe you can get ahead by being honest, playing by the rules, and kissing a%#$#, well i got news for you keep trying...and good luck....you'll need it....

if you expect your company is going to reward you with some great bonus/pay raise, and make you all set, so you needn't worry about money again.....KEEP DREAMING! or for those who think the gov't is going to help out and help take care of them when they  get old, or get into trouble...uh, huh. lol.

for those of us realists, who understand the odds, and who know, and dont actually expect it to be that easy....let us keep dreaming...because i hate to break it to you folks, but unless  you win something like the mega millions. or powerball, unless your fathers last name is hilton, or unless your the next computer geeks like gates or the nerds who invented google, forget it. your life is always going to have problems related around money, theres no escaping it.

in summary, i feel that anyone with a system, be it the best or the worst, has a better chance than most in winning.  you could argue that most people without a system win, (ie. quickpicks), and that most people playing sytems never win....OF COURSE THATS TRUE YOU MORON... MOST PEOPLE DONT PLAY SYSTEMS. obviously if more people playing are using no systems, and using quick picks, or just random personal picks, they are going to win more often than anyone using the best systems on the face of the earth...statistically speaking, that only makes sense...that is not comparing apples to apples!  for those who use their systems and believe, keep on believing, and playing and ignore articles like this....

i did just exactly that 7 years ago....ignored the pessimists, cause i believed and knew it could and would happen....and i beat odds of 1 in 5.5milllion, on a scratch off ticket nonetheless., but the odds speak for themselves.

my only question i would ask you to honestly ask yourself, and really put some thought into, though i know hypotheticals, especcially such as what im about to ask...that being....do you really think money is the answer, that is, is that what is going to make you finally happy?.....you know the old saying....be careful for what you wish for...? if you would like to know how things turned out drop me a reply thru the post....but be warned, it did not turn out like it would in the movies, or how you think it would if you won....ya...i'm one of those lottery winner horror stories....anyway, good luck

ps...with a little luck, and a good system, i am the first to say that even odds of mega or powerball can be win, i am positive of that.

I have a system to beat the odds.

I am looking for an honest programer or programers.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/153503 

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5118 Posts
              Posted: March 26, 2007, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

I have a system to beat the odds.

I am looking for an honest programer or programers.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/153503 

with a name like RedToad??????????????????????????????????????

yoy shuddaa baaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHpregrammer?

T0ad................................HOW do you LIKE the LOTTERY POST?????? 

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5118 Posts
                Posted: March 26, 2007, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

"This means like 10-20 bucks per week or so. If you took the same 10 bucks, weekly, used in lotto and invested it in interest bearing 5% + CD, in some years you WOULD be a millionaire!"

Thanks for responding.  Wow, I didn't know I had any "fans."  LOL  Anyway, I agree you can save a lot of money over time by taking $10 a week and putting it away ($20 is much better) but it will not turn into millions of dollars, especially at 5% interest, which is why I highlighted those 2 words in red.  $20 a week x 52 is better, but you still won't be a millionaire in 20 years.  So a lot depends on when you start to save your money.  Remember, if you have a tax deferred investment in the stock market and you average approx 8%, you will double your money every 10 years. Of course, if you add to it, it will grow faster.  It would take too much time to demonstrate, but trust me when I say that all the people who write that stuff are wrong unless someone starts at age 10 and lives to be 100.  Here is an example:

You put that $20 a week you mentioned in a variable annuity or mutual fund that yields an average of 7 or 8% over 20 years.  That is $1,040 every year x 20 = $20,800.  With interest your account will be approximately $50,000. If you keep putting in the same amount for another 10 years and continue to earn 7 or 8%, you will end up with about $140 to $150,000. 

I am not arguing with you, so please don't take it that way. It's just that I hear this so much and I know it isn't true.  I work with numbers all the time.  Someone would have to be spending a heck of a lot more on lottery tickets than a lousy $10 or $20 a week to reach over a million in savings in his lifetime.  Also, you mentioned a CD as an investment tool. There's nothing wrong with putting your money in a bank account, especially now that rates have gone up, but you didn't consider the interest, which changes the actual amount you save.  Sure, the account will grow at 5%, but you still have to pay the IRS every year 20% (depending on your tax bracket)  Someone in a high tax bracket is, in reality, only earning 2 or 3% on that money.  Even if you begin at 35 years old saving money for retirement, to reach approximately $1 million you would need to put away about $675 every month until age 65.  Again, that's based on an average of 7 to 8% interest.  That's why age is so important.  Even 5 years makes a dramatic difference, so the earlier you start saving, the better. However, what most people spend playing the lottery isn't going to put much of a dent in it.

One thing that bugs me is that the people who always tell players to save their weekly lottery money automatically assume lottery players ARE NOT putting money away in a savings account.  I'm guessing a heck of a lot of people here contribute to a 401K or Individual Retirement Account, so playing the lottery has nothing to do with it. 

THANKsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.....................JP$$$$$$$$$

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu......................are greatw/

MONEY...............>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>let me know what to DO/M

LOL$$$$$$$$$$>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANKSsssssssssssssssss 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: March 26, 2007, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

i agree with most of what you say here, unfortunately the odds are stacked against you., thats obvious, and i also agree with the fact that most systems, even the best, are a waste of time, and a shot in the dark. 

but you fail to bring up the points about when some actually do win.  your life is not just changed, its dramatically changed....especially if you hit hundreds of millions, not only is your life completely changed, your kids, and your grandkids lives are completely changed.  you cannot win if you dont play, simple as that.  for the people that live in fantasy land, this next is for you. those of you that are realists already kknow this........i dont care what kind of highly successful job you get, or how many asses you kiss....in the real world....those who believe you can get ahead by being honest, playing by the rules, and kissing a%#$#, well i got news for you keep trying...and good luck....you'll need it....

if you expect your company is going to reward you with some great bonus/pay raise, and make you all set, so you needn't worry about money again.....KEEP DREAMING! or for those who think the gov't is going to help out and help take care of them when they  get old, or get into trouble...uh, huh. lol.

for those of us realists, who understand the odds, and who know, and dont actually expect it to be that easy....let us keep dreaming...because i hate to break it to you folks, but unless  you win something like the mega millions. or powerball, unless your fathers last name is hilton, or unless your the next computer geeks like gates or the nerds who invented google, forget it. your life is always going to have problems related around money, theres no escaping it.

in summary, i feel that anyone with a system, be it the best or the worst, has a better chance than most in winning.  you could argue that most people without a system win, (ie. quickpicks), and that most people playing sytems never win....OF COURSE THATS TRUE YOU MORON... MOST PEOPLE DONT PLAY SYSTEMS. obviously if more people playing are using no systems, and using quick picks, or just random personal picks, they are going to win more often than anyone using the best systems on the face of the earth...statistically speaking, that only makes sense...that is not comparing apples to apples!  for those who use their systems and believe, keep on believing, and playing and ignore articles like this....

i did just exactly that 7 years ago....ignored the pessimists, cause i believed and knew it could and would happen....and i beat odds of 1 in 5.5milllion, on a scratch off ticket nonetheless., but the odds speak for themselves.

my only question i would ask you to honestly ask yourself, and really put some thought into, though i know hypotheticals, especcially such as what im about to ask...that being....do you really think money is the answer, that is, is that what is going to make you finally happy?.....you know the old saying....be careful for what you wish for...? if you would like to know how things turned out drop me a reply thru the post....but be warned, it did not turn out like it would in the movies, or how you think it would if you won....ya...i'm one of those lottery winner horror stories....anyway, good luck

ps...with a little luck, and a good system, i am the first to say that even odds of mega or powerball can be win, i am positive of that.

This should be required reading for everyone on here - especially the newbies.

I could not have said it better myself, but I 'kinda' disagree - money IS the answer - IF it is handled right, and IF you make liberal usage of the word 'NO'. Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule, and that's the problem: we only hear of mainly the bad things that have happened to lottery winners, but the good things far far outweigh the bad.  You cannot win 20-30 mill and then withdraw from life: you still need a purpose, something to do, a reason to live, something to look forward to accomplishing every day, because if you don't, you die lonely - and alone.

I have a pretty good system IMO, I consistently get 3x5 in PB, it's those other 2 danged numbers I miss on, and that's all it takes to LOSE. I am in the ballpark on those other two, I just need to keep trying, maybe I will get them, and maybe not, but this game INTRIGUES me, it's one of my hobbies, I like it alot.

Sure, it would be nice if I only played ONE game per draw - I'd be ahead if I did, but I play 10 games...

As was said: you can't win if you don't play.

Also: this is a hobby, a sport. 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1953 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2007, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

This should be required reading for everyone on here - especially the newbies.

I could not have said it better myself, but I 'kinda' disagree - money IS the answer - IF it is handled right, and IF you make liberal usage of the word 'NO'. Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule, and that's the problem: we only hear of mainly the bad things that have happened to lottery winners, but the good things far far outweigh the bad.  You cannot win 20-30 mill and then withdraw from life: you still need a purpose, something to do, a reason to live, something to look forward to accomplishing every day, because if you don't, you die lonely - and alone.

I have a pretty good system IMO, I consistently get 3x5 in PB, it's those other 2 danged numbers I miss on, and that's all it takes to LOSE. I am in the ballpark on those other two, I just need to keep trying, maybe I will get them, and maybe not, but this game INTRIGUES me, it's one of my hobbies, I like it alot.

Sure, it would be nice if I only played ONE game per draw - I'd be ahead if I did, but I play 10 games...

As was said: you can't win if you don't play.

Also: this is a hobby, a sport. 

I agree.

Oh, when you all hear about a guy from Indiana who has gone above and beyond anything imaginable, you know who it is.CoolWink

Gonna win.Big Smile

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: March 27, 2007, 12:15 am - IP Logged

THANKsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.....................JP$$$$$$$$$

Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu......................are greatw/

MONEY...............>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>let me know what to DO/M

LOL$$$$$$$$$$>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANKSsssssssssssssssss 

Thanks,  It's easy to manage my personal finances, since I don't have any money!  LOL

PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: March 27, 2007, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

"not only is your life completely changed, your kids, and your grandkids lives are completely changed."

Not if you do not have any of those, which I don't nor want at this time. I have VERY little family, am very selective with friends, which makes me tailormade for a lottery win.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                          nashville
                          United States
                          Member #49896
                          February 18, 2007
                          1181 Posts
                          Posted: March 27, 2007, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

"not only is your life completely changed, your kids, and your grandkids lives are completely changed."

Not if you do not have any of those, which I don't nor want at this time. I have VERY little family, am very selective with friends, which makes me tailormade for a lottery win.

i think im in a good position for a win also because i am single with no kids

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2007, 3:29 am - IP Logged

I'm in a much better position to win the record MM jackpot in early May because I've got a lot of friends and family to share it with.

PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2007, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Which also means you will be sharing a lot more with the IRS via gift tax. What is the limit, about $12,000?