Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Model for What to do with the Jackpot You just Won

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #50273
March 3, 2007
348 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2007, 2:29 am - IP Logged

Just call me the Strip Mall King after I win because I will be buying MANY of those.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
    Member #567
    August 14, 2002
    485 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2007, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Great article.  However, I would still remain anonymous for the sake of peace of mind and so that you won't be targeted by the media.  Don't forget that this guy lives in a small town in IDAHO!!!  What crime or harrassment could possibly happen to him in Idaho?  I read about one of the Powerball winners from Nebraska and he still lives in Nebraska.  But a lottery winner in Idaho or Nebraska wouldn't have the same problems as someone who won it in New York City.  Believe me, if someone won that kind of money in NYC, Chicago, or LA, that person would get the f**k out of town !!!

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
      Gurnee, Illinois
      United States
      Member #49731
      February 12, 2007
      919 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2007, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Great article.  However, I would still remain anonymous for the sake of peace of mind and so that you won't be targeted by the media.  Don't forget that this guy lives in a small town in IDAHO!!!  What crime or harrassment could possibly happen to him in Idaho?  I read about one of the Powerball winners from Nebraska and he still lives in Nebraska.  But a lottery winner in Idaho or Nebraska wouldn't have the same problems as someone who won it in New York City.  Believe me, if someone won that kind of money in NYC, Chicago, or LA, that person would get the f**k out of town !!!

Since I live in Chicago, I would tell you the primary reason I would get the f**k out of Chitown after winning a huge lottery jackpot...to escape to warmer weather and year round golf!  Now I would maintain a residence here, but I would only occupy it during the late spring thru early fall months (May - September); after that, I would be hopping on my lear jet back south to either Georgia, Arizona, Texas, California, or Florida (I haven't made up my mind on which locale I would live during the winter months...heck, I might even spend up to 3 months in a place like Jamaica, Hawaii, Dubai, or even Bali).

In LA, a lottery winner would so easily blend in as people driving Bentleys, Mercedes, Maybachs, Maseratis, Range Rovers, and the like are common place.  Who would be caring about a regular old lottery winner when you have Paris Hilton, Jennifer Lopez, Meagan Goode, and all the other celebrity hotties zipping around LA (okay, I know I didn't mention any standout guys for you ladies so any female poster feel free to do that for the females).

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
        Member #50124
        February 26, 2007
        601 Posts
        Posted: April 11, 2007, 11:09 am - IP Logged

Boise's not huge, but it ain't Mayberry either.  There's plenty of crime, both violent and white collar, plenty of trouble.  I don't think it's gonna make a whit of difference where you live.  You've gotta plan your budget and you've gotta say no when it's appropriate.  And it would be a good idea to stay out of strip joints and bars where bikers and gang members hang out, no matter which city/town you live in.  Even Mayberry.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10390 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2007, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I just want to make a comment on all of this. The guy won he money, good for him.

Now my $.02 - there's a theory that states the American education system has one goal in mind, to teach you to be somebody else's employee.

I think lottery winners that win huge jackpots and insist on continuing to work have just been brow-beat by such a system.  

Here's a guy who wins millions and is "going to keep working for Gold's Gym".  He could buy his own gym, many times over, even Gold's Gyms with their high price tag. 

Personally, I feel that when someone makes that kind of a score thay are obligated to make room for someone who really needs the job, but that's another thread.

I think right now this guy is held in some kind of hero status beause he is appearing to be the "anti-Jack", so far, anyway.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7343 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2007, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

I had to rush out when I wrote the above post.  I just want to add that, although I agree that age isn't the only determining factor in determining one's investment portfolio, it certainly plays a big part.

The younger a person is, the higher his/her ability to take risk, because that person can usually afford to wait out any temporary erosion in the value of his investment. 

Well, I need to shut down because we're having an electrical storm. It boggles my mind that so many people on this board don't think a few million is a lot of money. 

"It boggles my mind that so many people on this board don't think a few million is a lot of money."

Boggles my mind too and so do all the "what will you do with the winnings" threads. It's one thing to fantasies about winning a huge jackpot, but is it unreasonable to expect to see a similar number of threads where people actually discuss ways to pick the numbers? 

At least once everyday somebody will come up with another way to play Pick-3 where the jackpot is $500 but I don't see them discussing how they will spend or invest their winnings. People playing the lottery for years know that it's a series of wins and losses and hopefully the wins will outweigh the losses. The same can be said about people getting a couple bucks worth of QPs or playing their favorite numbers on their lotto or a multi-state lottery.

If I didn't know better I would think people actually expect to hit the jackpot with little or no effort.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: April 13, 2007, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Just call me the Strip Mall King after I win because I will be buying MANY of those.

You crazy ?

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: April 13, 2007, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

I know one PB winner from Iowa - still lives in the same small house he lived in when he won it years ago....

And, Nebraska winners ?  The 8 from a year ago ?  I believe all 8, or 7 of the 8 still live there.