Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Writing Letters/Emails to Your Lottery Board

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CARBOB.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Do you ever send letters or emails to your state lottery?

Yes, once or twice [ 21 ]  [50.00%]
No, never [ 15 ]  [35.71%]
Often [ 5 ]  [11.90%]
Other (explain) [ 1 ]  [2.38%]
Total Valid Votes [ 42 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: March 27, 2007, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Just curious.  I've been playing in Florida for over 12 years and have sent a total of about 4 or 5 emails.  I've always gotten a polite reply. 

The last email was in reference to the pre-tests.  The one before was about the errors displayed and the amount of time the site is down. 

Have you ever written to any of the State or Multi-State Lottery Offices?

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
    A long and winding road
    United States
    Member #17084
    June 10, 2005
    4521 Posts
    Posted: March 27, 2007, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Good question! Thanks for posting that inquiry.

When I have written them about specific changes or revisal they are quick to respond. Most often if they dont have the answer right away they  will follow up with an appropriate answer.  The hard part is reporting an obvious violation. They dont want to hear that a lottery vendor is cheating the system.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

JAP69's avatar - alas
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #6
      November 4, 2001
      8790 Posts
      Posted: March 27, 2007, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

I have sent messages to my state lottery. They have a contact page at their website. They have always responded in a timely and pleasant manner.

I forgot what a couple of them were but I remember one in particular.

I inquired about a number that came out one time and there were something like over two thousand winners on that number. I could not figure out why so many winners were paid on that number. Seemed real odd to me at the time as I did not know.
      It was the 679 combination. I think that is the one.
      They responded back and told me that it was a dream number for death and that it is a heavily played number. The state website made a news article about all the winners they had on that number and why after I inquired about it.

I also found out about the number thru an inquiry post in the forum here at lottery post.

WHATT

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
        Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
        United States
        Member #26084
        November 14, 2005
        199 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2007, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

I have sent several emails over the years to the Texas state lottery and have never received a response. Is it any wonder they are in such poor shape, in my opinion.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
          mississippi
          United States
          Member #34478
          March 3, 2006
          5903 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2007, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

I sent Louisiana an email in reference to their pre-test draws and how I could obtain that information..I havent heard anything from them yet...I even called them first and talked to some lady on the phone..she kept putting me on hold asking different people in the office in Baton Rouge..she never could answer my question..so..if they pre-test apparently noone knows about it..LOL..it is classified as Top Secret..lol

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #1303
            March 27, 2003
            1508 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2007, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

I've sent a couple of emails over time to the WI lottery.  They've never been answered.  There seems to be an attitude here.  Originally, many of our poliicians were very against the lottery because they are anti-gambling. The voters voted to change the constitution so we could have a lottery. That was way back in  1989 I believe.  But the pols and bureaucrats seem to still resent that we now have gambling, and it shows often in their attitudes.

Oh, but they don't refuse the tax revenues that come from it.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10344 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2007, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

A long time ago I wrote the Illinois Lottery and suggested that they put a box on the back of the playslips that said,

Should my dollar not win, I'd like it (or a part of it) to go to:

Fire Departments

Police

Libraries

Ambulance Service

etc...since lottery proceeds were already going "for education" (ho ho).

I did get a letter back telling me that the technology to do something like that didn't exist.

Fast forward a few years, and they now sell scrathcers for breast cancer research (RIP director Carolyn Adams) and Veterans' tickets.

A few monrhs ago I got an e-mail survey from the Missouri Lottery about a proposed baseball scratcher. It now exists, and some of the prizes are Cardinals and Royals tickets.

(If I was Pete Rose's attorney, I'd get him in the Hall of fame with this one. He's banned from baseball for gambling, and now a major league team has their logo all over a scratcher).

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
                rainbow lake
                Canada
                Member #25177
                November 2, 2005
                10762 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2007, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

Just curious.  I've been playing in Florida for over 12 years and have sent a total of about 4 or 5 emails.  I've always gotten a polite reply. 

The last email was in reference to the pre-tests.  The one before was about the errors displayed and the amount of time the site is down. 

What did they tell you about the pretests.

Secret to $uccess=Law of Attraction

kayee's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                  missouri
                  United States
                  Member #34763
                  March 7, 2006
                  756 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2007, 12:02 am - IP Logged

I sent the MO lottery an email about the pretests and if I could get a list of the numbers but I haven't heard anything back yet.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2007, 12:13 am - IP Logged

I just did it again!  I voted when I meant to peek to see who rated the topic.  Well, I guess there is nothing wrong with voting for yourself.  Smile

Thanks everyone for answering.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      Gurnee, Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #49731
                      February 12, 2007
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2007, 11:03 am - IP Logged

About a year and a half ago, I emailed the Illinois lottery asking them why they don't offer more top tier prizes on their scratch if games like Georgia, New York, and Massachusetts (yeah, I now know that NY and MA are able to do so because they only offer prize payouts as 20 year annuities, and I don't know about GA's payout structure).  I thought that if they did so, they could ratchet up their profits even more with more people getting excited to play the scratch iffs.  I did get a response that confirmed that they do make A LOT of profit from the scratch iffs and that no change is necessary.  That was fine by me and was all I needed to hear to declare that I would never play another scratch iff game in Illinois (or for the most part, any where) again.  I take my chances with the rolling balls...can I get six numbers on one line for the PB/Indiana lotto draw tonight?!!!  Anything is possible!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #1340
                        April 6, 2003
                        2450 Posts
                        Posted: May 6, 2007, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

I have one response I just got today...

my original question...

04/27/2007 04:42 AM

Can you specify at the time of winning for a prize over 311,000 dollars that the full federal withholding amount of 35% be withheld rather than the stated 25%?

the response...

05/03/2007 12:48 PM

The federal withholding on ALL prizes over $5,000 is urrently withheld at a rate of 25%.

I already KNEW that, do you think they misunderstood what I was asking? My paycheck has a current withholding rate, and I can CHANGE it with a new W2 form... does the W2G work the same? If NOT, then the system is set up for the failure of the winners...

A) sparse information on proper handling of a win. If there were proper instructions, attorneys (and associated fees) would not be necessary.

B) confusing tax withholding (top rate 35%, withhold at 25%?)

C) Broadcast name and hometown of winner...

glad PA is listening to players (like they did with "lucky" for life and Match6)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                          ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                          United States
                          Member #4924
                          June 3, 2004
                          5893 Posts
                          Posted: May 7, 2007, 8:58 am - IP Logged

What was thier response to your pre-tests question? I asked the same question and never receive an answer.