Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Give Advice About The Lottery?

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by jarasan.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

When you are buying tickets, do you sometimes advise others who are not familiar with the games?

Yes, I enjoy explaining the games to other players [ 29 ]  [63.04%]
No, let them figure it out! [ 4 ]  [8.70%]
I've never had the opportunity, but would if asked [ 8 ]  [17.39%]
Other (explain) [ 5 ]  [10.87%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2007, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes when I am buying my tickets, there are people at the counter who aren't very familiar with the various games offered.  When I'm standing in line, sometimes I offer my "expertise" and even mention I frequent an online lottery board if we begin to chat. 

I'm guessing some of those people think I should be locked up in a padded room, but most thank me for explaining how to fill out the cards or telling them what the current jackpots are for the week.

I thought of this poll, because Monday evening 2 tourists from Michigan asked the woman behind the counter what night the Lotto drawing was and about the FL Mega Money game.  She just shrugged, so I turned to them and said "Lotto is twice a week on Wed and Sat and will be $10 million on Wed and MegaMoney is played Tues & Fri and the jackpot is $800,000 tomorrow evening."  Then they both purchased several QPs for both games.

Just a note:  I did want to slap one lady (figuratively speaking of course) when she noticed I handed cards to the clerk and asked me if I'd ever won a jackpot.  I said "not yet, but I'm trying."  She looked at me and said with some authority, "Well, then I think maybe you should start picking some better numbers." 

Everyone's a critic !!  LOLSmash

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
    Member #50124
    February 26, 2007
    601 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2007, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

None of the above - I'm the one having to ask.  Our pick 3 has an "Exact/Any order 3-way" and an "Exact/Any Order 6-way" on the payoff chart.  But on the front it only has "Exact/Any Order" and doesn't let you choose 3 or 6 way.  I'm such a dork, I had to ask the clerk how to choose the one I wanted.  Crazy

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2007, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

'She looked at me and said with some authority, "Well, then I think maybe you should start picking some better numbers.'

I would have said 'I'm not the one working at a Quickie-Mart now, am I ?  You sell hundreds of tickets a day, and I bet you cash in quite a few as well, surely you have noticed some things you can offer us ?'

(I say that because, if you want to win at Keno, work at a Keno window for a few months..........) 

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
        nashville
        United States
        Member #49896
        February 18, 2007
        1181 Posts
        Posted: March 28, 2007, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

whenever the jackpot gets high my family and friends ask me questions about how to play so i end up explaining powerball about 5 or 6 times a year

EAST COAST, USA
          United States
          Member #49428
          January 31, 2007
          553 Posts
          Posted: March 28, 2007, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

whenever the jackpot gets high my family and friends ask me questions about how to play so i end up explaining powerball about 5 or 6 times a year

I'll give advice to anyone who asks as long as I'm not working on a short deadline to get my numbers in.  And I do get asked quite often.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

None of the above - I'm the one having to ask.  Our pick 3 has an "Exact/Any order 3-way" and an "Exact/Any Order 6-way" on the payoff chart.  But on the front it only has "Exact/Any Order" and doesn't let you choose 3 or 6 way.  I'm such a dork, I had to ask the clerk how to choose the one I wanted.  Crazy

Oh, don't apologize.  I would probably need to do the same!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2007, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

i'll give advice if someone needs help...

JAP69's avatar - alas
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #6
                November 4, 2001
                8790 Posts
                Posted: March 28, 2007, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

When I am in line to play and if someone asks about filling out play cards I will explain.

Talking about lottery systems and stats to others person to person, No. They think you are crazy. They would rather play uncle Joes picks they buy in little pamphlets sold at counters.

Think I might just start up a weekly sheet to sell at local outlets. Probably could make a couple thou a week from pick pamphlets.

Here On lottery post is where like minded players are.

WHATT

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2007, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

my family's tired of me talking about the lottery... Once thought of posting a paper with LP site on it on every gas station wall in my hometown in U.S, did  it once but someone took the paper away...But here is a Spanish speaking country, so  can't do it...

"Those eyes..."        "They just disappeared...."          from movie "Predator 1"

Sunny California
                    United States
                    Member #40295
                    May 31, 2006
                    7712 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2007, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I try to give advice to the guy who sells me the tickets and he "ooo's" and "ahs" but I think it falls on deaf ears,you know how people are. But if given the opportunity, I would.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                      Nova Scotia
                      Canada
                      Member #9934
                      December 27, 2004
                      884 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2007, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

I'll tell people to take a chance on the lottery. Do they want to work the rest of their lives or win the lottery? It's their choice.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #50273
                        March 3, 2007
                        348 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2007, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Not me because I am in and out of the store in less than 2 minutes.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                          A long and winding road
                          United States
                          Member #17084
                          June 10, 2005
                          4525 Posts
                          Posted: March 28, 2007, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

I absolutely enjoy hearing some of the off the wall investments people give when they swear they are going to win THE BIG ONE! If for nuffin else its a hoot hearing their dreams and how they picked the combinations they do! I have sworn off being in a lottery pool with some of these folks, they would have the media at their door two seconds after they hit! And I want nothing more then to weigh options BEFORE coming forth...As for quitting work, That is just NOT in my dream book. I like what I do, and the kicker...I get benefits that money just cant buy!

As for sharing tips, tricks or ways to win, Most folks I converse with consider it an insult to infer that I have a way that may work to win! I dont guarantee wins or tell them WHAT to play, i merely guide them. So be it though, sometimes planting the seed is the beginning for them to re-think a method or revise it. Thats one of the wonderful things about this forum! People here have contributed so much to fine tuning some methods and sharing it with others that I sit in awe at times ...some folks are truly gifted here!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10348 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

We have a friend that always wants to pool Mega Millions tickets, and that means inclusing every single person that happens to be there when he gets the idea to play.

(STRIKE ONE)

We've finally convinced him to go dibs, we play a ticket, and he plays the same numbers (just in case it hits, so as not to have to form a joint blind trust, etc...)

Well, for three years now we've been trying to explain that a 5 + 1 game is actually "two lotteries"- if they day comes, IGF, you have 5 for 5 on top, you still have to have the right one on the bottom (people here know this, I'm explaining what it's like trying to convince this guy). 

It still hasn't sunk in.

Bang Head

(STRIKE TWO) 

So, "all things considered", a few weeks ago (when Mega was climbing towards 390 million) we go into his shop, and one of his workers tells us how they had just bet 4, 11, 18, and 25 "and two other numbers" because they were looking at the calendar and February and March had all the Sundays numbered the same.

Sure, anything can happen - and both of these guys figured something had to happen because this is such a rare calendar occurence - but I made the faux pas of trying to explain to them it was a nice thought, but highly doubtful that the wininng numbers are going to be at an exact interval of seven apart.

That still hasn't sunk in.

(FOUL TIP, 0-2 count)

Bang Head

As for others, with me it's usually been clerks! One told me there was no such thing as a 50 cent pick 3, another didn't know Lotto and Little Lotto were different, and another gave me the good old down-home, "Do whut?", when I said "advanced play for the next five draws."

There are also lottery places around here that never have any playslips out. Go figure. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

onenumber's avatar - swordgirl
                              Chicago, IL
                              United States
                              Member #8354
                              November 2, 2004
                              1580 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2007, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

I only give advice now when I am asked.  I once tried to give a lady some advice and she turned on me like a pit bull.

She was playing a pick four number, 2-0-0-0 for 50-cent combo at a cost of $2.00.  If it hit she would win $2500.  I told her she should just play it 50-cent box 4 times and she would win $2400 and avoid having to go to the lottery office to get paid as well as avoid paying taxes.  She turned on me with a snarl and said, "I'll pay the $25.00 tax".  From that point on, I learned to keep my mouth shut.

First, She obviously hadn't won before because the tax is more than $25.00 and secondly, the $2500 must be added to your income when you file your taxes and then you'll pay federal tax. So, net-net I keep my trap shut!!