Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did anyone actually fall for it?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Lkydeb*594.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23273 Posts
Posted: March 30, 2007, 1:00 am - IP Logged

I just suspended the membership of someone who posted info about one of those "syndicate" lottery sites run by the pyramid scheme, VWD (Virtual World Direct).

Check this out:  minutes before the person I got rid of posted that message on the forums, their previous Lottery Post account was automatically suspended by the Lottery Post server when they tried to post a link.

That person previously used that account to respond to a warning thread that I had posted a few weeks ago about VWD.  Their message was, "Todd, don't be suspicious!  I just want to find out about syndicates [blah, blah, blah]."  They wrote that because I said look what happens when I point out on the forums about how Virtual World Direct (VWD) is a scam -- the worst kind of pyramid scheme -- that people from VWD would sign up and start defending it.

Well, I was proven correct, because that person, who tried to look innocent in "just wanting to know more information," and who I said from the start was suspicious for posting something so obviously lame, has just proved my point by getting suspended for posting a spam ad on Lottery Post for the VWD scam.

There are a few universal morals to this story:

1. Any site that mentions the word "syndicate" should be avoided like the plague.  "Syndicate" is the keyword used by that U.K. company (VWD), and it described a pyramid scheme, in which people are led to believe that they will be the recipient of big lotto wins, without having to invest a lot of money in tickets.  But, as I've pointed out before, even if the "syndicate" won a huge jackpot, the lowly players would not hit a payday.  The players are the suckers in a pyramid scheme.  Don't be a sucker.
  2. The less money you spend on a lottery ticket, the less money you'll get if you win.  The VWD pyramid scheme is a great and extreme example of that -- to the point that you lose even if you win.
  3. If somebody comes onto Lottery Post asking if anyone has played on a particular web site, or if they know anything about syndicates, there is an extremely high probability that they are the owners of the scam trying to start a discussion about their scam.  Other people will suddenly register memberships to chime in the "discussion".  (They are either the same person, or people working together.)  The whole point of their "discussion" is to get people to be interested enough that they will track down the web site, and then they'll get hooked.  Just like the last person I got rid of, who knew they would get automatically suspended for posting a link, so they posted something to search for on Google instead.  If you are ever tempted to track down a site like that, send me a PM.  I have nothing to gain or lose -- I'll give you honest advice.
  4. If someone talks about a web site, glance over at their stats -- what day did they register, and how many posts do they have?  No matter what, do NOT trust anyone who just registered and is already talking about a site -- or worse, about "syndicates".
  5. It is not always called "Virtual World Direct" on the web site -- sometimes it's referred to as "e-lottery system" or maybe something completely different.  They do normally use the word "syndicate" though, and it always involves "lots of chances to WIN!" and "low money to join", "great odds", etc., etc., you know the rest.  If you've seen a few of them, you'll begin to recognize the stench right away.
  6. For #6, I'll just repeat myself:  If someone or some web site mentions that word "syndicate", do not give them a second thought -- just get away as fast as you can.  You will save yourself from a lighter wallet and dashed hopes.  You WILL NOT get a "miracle jackpot" from a "syndicate".  You won't.  You will only get unfulfilled hopes.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: March 30, 2007, 1:06 am - IP Logged

I know...the U.K. guy right?

Believe it or not...I did at one point ask myself whether I should report him.

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: March 30, 2007, 2:48 am - IP Logged

"glance over at their stats -- what day did they register, and how many posts do they have?"

That's internet 101, and everyone should keep it in mind whenever something sounds supsicious.  Having the number of posts and the date they joined makes it simple, but if you don't recognize the name and something doesn't smell right, there's that much more reason to be suspicious. It's not unreasonable to just assume that anytime somebody suggests any commercial site that there's an ulterior motive unless there's a reason to believe they're being genuine.

As far as "syndicate",  that just tends to be used instead of "pool" by the British. If they were a US based company I'd expect them to simply call it a pool. At the moment, variations on VWD have spots 2 through 5 on a Google search for "lottery syndicate" (same results with or without the quotes), but the first hit is a British page that appears to be a legitimate site about how to run a pool. It's probably worth reading, and clicking on the link will help keep it at the top of the list.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23273 Posts
        Posted: March 30, 2007, 7:09 am - IP Logged

"glance over at their stats -- what day did they register, and how many posts do they have?"

That's internet 101, and everyone should keep it in mind whenever something sounds supsicious.  Having the number of posts and the date they joined makes it simple, but if you don't recognize the name and something doesn't smell right, there's that much more reason to be suspicious. It's not unreasonable to just assume that anytime somebody suggests any commercial site that there's an ulterior motive unless there's a reason to believe they're being genuine.

As far as "syndicate",  that just tends to be used instead of "pool" by the British. If they were a US based company I'd expect them to simply call it a pool. At the moment, variations on VWD have spots 2 through 5 on a Google search for "lottery syndicate" (same results with or without the quotes), but the first hit is a British page that appears to be a legitimate site about how to run a pool. It's probably worth reading, and clicking on the link will help keep it at the top of the list.

I agree that the word "syndicate" means "pool" in the UK. I have posted that in other messages in the past.

However, at this point the word "syndicate" has become subverted to the extent that its usage on the internet is synonymous with the pyramid scams I alluded to.

BTW, did you notice how the scammer returned and posted his garbage once again? I fully anticipated that, but if he thinks persistence will break me down, he is mistaken. Go post your junk someplace else.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1303
          March 27, 2003
          1508 Posts
          Posted: March 30, 2007, 8:37 am - IP Logged
          1. If someone talks about a web site, glance over at their stats -- what day did they register, and how many posts do they have?  No matter what, do NOT trust anyone who just registered and is already talking about a site -- or worse, about "syndicates".

The first thing I look at is how new the member is, and how many posts.  This includes anyone that looks like they may be setting all of us up for something.....even their own website where they are selling something.  OF all the rules to live by that you mention, this is the A#1 one for me.  But then I am a naturally suspicious person.  The proof is in the pudding as it is said.

Thanks, BTW, for standing Sentry for us all, Todd.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

chippie's avatar - Lottery-064.jpg

Bahamas
            Member #31284
            January 27, 2006
            8962 Posts
            Posted: March 30, 2007, 9:10 am - IP Logged

This is the 1st time im reading about it

Thanks for the alert though

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: March 30, 2007, 9:39 am - IP Logged
              1. If someone talks about a web site, glance over at their stats -- what day did they register, and how many posts do they have?  No matter what, do NOT trust anyone who just registered and is already talking about a site -- or worse, about "syndicates".

The first thing I look at is how new the member is, and how many posts.  This includes anyone that looks like they may be setting all of us up for something.....even their own website where they are selling something.  OF all the rules to live by that you mention, this is the A#1 one for me.  But then I am a naturally suspicious person.  The proof is in the pudding as it is said.

Thanks, BTW, for standing Sentry for us all, Todd.

Or better yet - ANYONE soliciting MONEY for ANY kind of scheme is not to be trusted.

The ONLY people I trust with my lottery money are the folks down at the corner Kwiquee-Martt where I personally go to donate my money twice a week. 

There are people here I converse with publicly and privately - and I'd NEVER ask anyone to 'go in on a pool' with me.... 'pools' are best left to your local office groups, people you can actually touch and see.  Some people call office pools a 'syndicate' MERELY because it 'sounds classier', that's all.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: March 30, 2007, 9:58 am - IP Logged

i like that toughness in you and that you'll stand guard at the doors of lottery post and refuse entry to any spammer or scammer who tries such foolishness.

Surrender

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: March 30, 2007, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Todd is the "Sentinel", a human firewall, spam buster, B.S.detector, guardian. Nefarious people beware!  Thank You Todd.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4529 Posts
                    Posted: March 30, 2007, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for the information involving these incidences.

Will definitely gain wisdom from such.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

Lkydeb*594's avatar - yummyxmascat
                      Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
                      Member #38062
                      April 23, 2006
                      12587 Posts
                      Posted: March 31, 2007, 2:17 am - IP Logged

Todd, I love that toughness in u!!!!!!!!!! thank u so much for standing guard & protecting us in our family of the LP.