Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When do you buy your QP's?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Jacksonville
United States
Member #8647
November 12, 2004
7 Posts
Posted: April 1, 2007, 10:39 am - IP Logged

Hey, I was wondering when you all buy your QP's? I'm a Florida player and the lottery has rolled over once again. I'm debating whether it even matters if I buy my QP's & my selected numbers today  or wait until the last minute on Wed (when the drawing occurs) to buy mine. I am not even sure if it matters. I guess I just want to see what other people think about it?

Do most jackpot winners buy their tickets the day of the drawing?? It would be interesting to find out!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
    Gurnee, Illinois
    United States
    Member #49731
    February 12, 2007
    917 Posts
    Posted: April 1, 2007, 10:47 am - IP Logged

From a lot of the winners' stories I have read, it seems as though many who win via buying QPs did so as a last minute/impulse buy the day of the drawing (or the last day they physically could purchase a ticket in their state of win...for those on road trips or traveling for biz).  Those who win via their own picks...well it really doesn't matter WHEN they bought their ticket...the only thing that mattered was that they DID buy their ticket!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

LiLSpeedy's avatar - 2714
      Decatur, GA
      United States
      Member #20471
      August 18, 2005
      2668 Posts
      Posted: April 1, 2007, 11:08 am - IP Logged

Hey, I was wondering when you all buy your QP's? I'm a Florida player and the lottery has rolled over once again. I'm debating whether it even matters if I buy my QP's & my selected numbers today  or wait until the last minute on Wed (when the drawing occurs) to buy mine. I am not even sure if it matters. I guess I just want to see what other people think about it?

Do most jackpot winners buy their tickets the day of the drawing?? It would be interesting to find out!

I don't think when you purchase a ticket have any bearing on whether you will win, but I do think that where the ticket was purchased is crucial. The winning ticket seems to always come from a small country store or from a store that is on the outskirts of a major metropolitan area.

Winning is Funtastic!

Jacksonville
        United States
        Member #8647
        November 12, 2004
        7 Posts
        Posted: April 1, 2007, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I don't think when you purchase a ticket have any bearing on whether you will win, but I do think that where the ticket was purchased is crucial. The winning ticket seems to always come from a small country store or from a store that is on the outskirts of a major metropolitan area.

True, with the exception of all the winners who come from Miami Dade :)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10351 Posts
          Posted: April 1, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

True, with the exception of all the winners who come from Miami Dade :)

Add Chicago to that sentiment- not only Chicago, but Chicago, QP's, and oh so often purchased at a White Hen Pantry.

I posted a thread a few days back about "Doubting QP's?" - up top that time, 11 out of 13 of the Little Lotto jackpots posted  (of the latest 13 hit) were QP's  

Here's last night's:

LITTLE LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR SATURDAY, MARCH 31, 2007

WINNING NUMBERS: 12 - 22 - 23 - 30 - 34

PLAYER(S) MATCHING 5 OF 5 NUMBERS
              INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS:        1
           EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:         $410,000.00

WINNING TICKET(S) WERE SOLD AT:

201476    WHITE HEN PANTRY #8511      (QP)
                      1062 E SCHAUMBURG RD
                      STREAMWOOD/60107

Re: When you purchase your QP's, as LilSpeedy said, I think where counts a lot more than when......

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: April 1, 2007, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

i would prefer to buy my tickets an hour before theystop selling them the night of the drawing but im worried that the machines will all shut down or something crazy like that so i just try to but my tickets around lunchtime the day of the drawing.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #50273
              March 3, 2007
              348 Posts
              Posted: April 1, 2007, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

Since I get off work late, I have to buy them where they are still selling them.  That usually narrows my choices down to 3 places where I can purchase tickets.  I can sometimes buy them near where I work but I don't always like doing that.  On my days off, I buy them where ever I feel good a good feeling.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

derek7's avatar - speedykat
                IL
                United States
                Member #34578
                March 4, 2006
                198 Posts
                Posted: April 1, 2007, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

I, for example, don't buy quick picks.

/Derek 

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: April 2, 2007, 1:53 am - IP Logged

From a lot of the winners' stories I have read, it seems as though many who win via buying QPs did so as a last minute/impulse buy the day of the drawing (or the last day they physically could purchase a ticket in their state of win...for those on road trips or traveling for biz).  Those who win via their own picks...well it really doesn't matter WHEN they bought their ticket...the only thing that mattered was that they DID buy their ticket!

From what we know about jackpot winners we can see a lot of things.

1. About 70% bought QP's, just like 70% of ticket sales are QP's.

2. A disproportionate number waited until the day of the drawing to buy their ticket, just like a disproportionate number of total ticket sales happen on the day of the drawing. This seems to be  especially pronounced when the jackpot is very high and  a lot of sales are to people who don't play regularly.

3.  Very nearly 100% of winners have two legs, and almost 100% of tickets are sold to people with two legs.

4. 58% of winners are male, and about 58% of tickets are sold to men.

5. Less than 1% of winners have been named Bob, Bill, Brad. Unfortunatley I know of no studies on the name distribution of tickt buyers

For some this all means that you have a better chance to win if you're a two-legged male who isn't named Bob, Bill or Brad, and you buy QP's on the day of the drawing.

I'm guessing that it all has to do with the numbers you play and the numbers that happen to be drawn as a result of a process that is almost perfectly random.  

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                    nashville
                    United States
                    Member #49896
                    February 18, 2007
                    1181 Posts
                    Posted: April 2, 2007, 2:24 am - IP Logged

From what we know about jackpot winners we can see a lot of things.

1. About 70% bought QP's, just like 70% of ticket sales are QP's.

2. A disproportionate number waited until the day of the drawing to buy their ticket, just like a disproportionate number of total ticket sales happen on the day of the drawing. This seems to be  especially pronounced when the jackpot is very high and  a lot of sales are to people who don't play regularly.

3.  Very nearly 100% of winners have two legs, and almost 100% of tickets are sold to people with two legs.

4. 58% of winners are male, and about 58% of tickets are sold to men.

5. Less than 1% of winners have been named Bob, Bill, Brad. Unfortunatley I know of no studies on the name distribution of tickt buyers

For some this all means that you have a better chance to win if you're a two-legged male who isn't named Bob, Bill or Brad, and you buy QP's on the day of the drawing.

I'm guessing that it all has to do with the numbers you play and the numbers that happen to be drawn as a result of a process that is almost perfectly random.  

"For some this all means that you have a better chance to win if you're a two-legged male who isn't named Bob, Bill or Brad, and you buy QP's on the day of the drawing."  i fall into that category so its my time this week

United States
                      Member #49956
                      February 21, 2007
                      57 Posts
                      Posted: April 2, 2007, 4:16 am - IP Logged

I buy a QP first to find out how much the jackpot is.

Then I fill my own combinations (about 15 or more depending of the jackpot)

after that I buy another QP (maybe my own combinations influence the QP)

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: April 2, 2007, 11:21 am - IP Logged

I live in FL too.  I've purchased my tickets a day ahead of time, on the day of the drawing and as late as 9:30 at night.  I guess you could call around to find out which stores keep their lottery terminals active until 11.  I think you can purchase Lotto tickets up to 10:45, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've also bet the same 4 combinations for over 12 years, bet quick picks as well, at different stores, in different towns, at different times. 

When you consider there are almost 23 million combinations, I doubt if buying a ticket at 9 in the morning or 9 at night makes much of a difference, if any.  I mean, if it did, that would be saying that the winning ticket is predetermined, instead of the drawing at 11:00 on Wed or Sat is completely random.  Maybe a computerized drawing would be different.  Anyway, one of the pre-test drawings held before the official televised one might pick numbers that are on your quick pick and you'll never know!

When the Lottery Fairy who travels the sunny skies of FL decides to sprinkle her magic dust on you is the right time to buy a ticket.  It's at that very moment you will feel a certain tingle, see a flash of white light, and hear music for a second as the clerk hands you the ticket.  In all their excitement, most winners don't remember this brief encounter with the supernatural.

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
                          Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #24912
                          October 29, 2005
                          94 Posts
                          Posted: April 2, 2007, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

You can look under FAQ on your particular Lottery website for

somethike like WHEN ARE SALES CUT-OFF?

It should say when is the latest time a ticket can be purchased.

There may be something like this on Lottery Post.

I have not been able to find it.

Money can't buy you happiness... but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery Wink

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: April 2, 2007, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

You can look under FAQ on your particular Lottery website for

somethike like WHEN ARE SALES CUT-OFF?

It should say when is the latest time a ticket can be purchased.

There may be something like this on Lottery Post.

I have not been able to find it.

Yes, but I don't think there is a strict rule enforcing it.  For example, many stores that sell tickets close at 9:00 or earlier.  Some stores are closed on Sundays, yet you can still buy a lottery ticket here on Sunday. I've been at a ticket counter when the store is still doing business, but the lottery terminal is down for the evening.  There is nothing on the back of the ticket that indicates times to purchase a ticket.  However, as you indicated above, the schedule for the drawings is posted on the state's web site.

By the way, I've also been at a store that was having trouble with the machine, so there is never a guarantee that you will be able to purchase a ticket "at the last minute."  Remember when MM was over $300M and Ohio apologized to all the people who didn't get a chance to play?  If I had a regular number, I would never wait until the very last minute.  At least with a QP you don't see what you would have won!  Before a hurricane, I make a survival list:  bottled water, flashlights, batteries, canned goods, lottery tickets.....

Coastal Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #2653
                              October 30, 2003
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: April 3, 2007, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

I get my Wednesday FL lotto tickets on Thursday morning to avoid the long lines... Agree with stupid

No wonder I don't win....Bang Head  Duh !!!!

LOL  LOL     If they gave a prize for 0 out of 6 the most times I would be the grand poobah !