Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

how and when did you first start playing the lottery?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 10 years ago by KyMystikal.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2007, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
    nashville
    United States
    Member #49896
    February 18, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2007, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

when i was high school a postal worker from here in nashville won the kentucky powerball jackpot in franklin kentucky which is right along the border so i said once i turn 18 i would drive up to kentucky to play the powerball and try to win it. luckily now 10 years later tennessee has the powerball so i save alot of gas nowBanana

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2007, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

I think it began one day when I was at a crowded bakery in Boston.  I pulled a piece of paper with a number on it out of a dispenser and waited anxiously for it to be announced.  I watched with anticipation as the numbers changed....71, 72, 73, 74.  Sometimes the woman would call out a number and nobody was there!  I wondered why a person would take a number and not claim the ticket. Other people stood around impatiently, some of them pacing, others scratching.  Finally I heard "number 84!" and I rushed to the counter.  I only planned to get a sliced bubka, but they had a freshly baked chale that looked mighty tasty next to it and I figured "Why the heck not?" since I was already at the counter. 

That's when it all started and I've been going downhill ever since.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
        Nova Scotia
        Canada
        Member #9934
        December 27, 2004
        884 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2007, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

I started playing the lottery after my parents won $1000 , years ago when the 649 lottery first came out.  They encouraged me to buy tickets.

I feel that someday I'll have success too possibly.. Other times I feel discouraged and wonder if it's possible for me as well!..

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10350 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2007, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring

Hit With Stick

Green laugh

For me it was when I was stationed in Germany, 1970-1973.

It was the Hessen Lotto, a 6/49 game with a bonus number (not a MM or PB format, but a bonus prize for 5 of 6 + 1, so they drew 7 numbers). The sevent number was the "Zusatspielen"

Green laugh

The drawings were on Saturday nights on German TV. Neat way of learning to count in German!

I didn't live on base, I lived in a German household in town, and a neighbor down the street, the local German TV weatherman, hit the jackpot for over 2,000,000 DM. At the time a Deutsch Mark was about 25 cents.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #48725
            January 7, 2007
            1953 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2007, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Well, when I was 17, my dad would play the PowerBall every now and then. I knew I wasn't old enough to play, but I would give him an extra $2 to play on it. I started playing PowerBall myself when I turned 18 though.

Gonna win.Big Smile

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #50273
              March 3, 2007
              348 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2007, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

When I turned 18.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

United States
                Member #10720
                January 23, 2005
                933 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2007, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

I played my first scratch-off when I was about 8 or 9 yrs. old - it had Presidents on it and I remember the Diner we were in. Kept winning like $1 or $2. I played Numbers and Jackpot games once I got into program writing but my first Pick-6 was circa 1984.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  917 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2007, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

After I graduated from boot camp in Orlando, Florida, I spent my two week vacation in New York.  While there visiting my father, I observed him buying lottery tickets at the corner store in the Bronx, so eventually I bought a few QPs myself.  Of course, once I got back to Florida for my subsequent training, I would buy Florida lotto QPs whenever the jackpot got high.  On one occasion, I had 3 of the 6 on one line and on the next line I had the other 3!  Had I had all on the same line, let's just say that my military service would have been very short!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
                    Dover, Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #26979
                    November 25, 2005
                    178 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2007, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

Hi LOTTOMIKE I started playing because, my father always played and he had a lottery book so, I scaned through it and picked a number and it came out.... that was in 1980 and I've been hooked ever since. One year I remember very well it was 1994 a year after my mother died I hit $2500.00 twice a month for (4) four months. Now I can't hit for $25.00 in (4) four years. My father died in 2006 and not long after that I dreamed that he had a lottery ticket with the number 222 written on it in his own hand writing and not long after that I dreamed that a male voice told me to play 1995 but, to only play it for $1.50. I tend to listen to my dreams because, I've won $5000.00 and $6000.00 off my dream numbers. Three digits and four digits don't mean too much to me any more I believe it's time for me to hit the Big Lotto, Mega Bucks or the PowerBall so, the answer to your question is 1980. I am an old timer with big dreams.

numbergirly

delores247's avatar - Lottery-048.jpg

United States
                      Member #19043
                      July 24, 2005
                      7378 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2007, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

one day in 1992 i was listening to the Radio and heard that Texas was going to have a Lottery well i was not really into it as you can say,it was later when i heard that it would be a pick3 lottery then i said to myself Oh just pick 3 numbers and That Day the Radio Station that i always use to listen to to hear the news of the lottery;Well the number was the pick3 which was 329; the very first number Texas ever played and the radio i heard it on was 92.3,;how amazing and i went from their and started playing the LOttery,cash5 ,2step and Mega millions of course,now that is my story,,,,Delores247Lovies

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                        North Dakota
                        United States
                        Member #13397
                        April 5, 2005
                        1623 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2007, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

When I was younger my mom won 5/6 on the GA lottery (way back in the day).  So I found that rather interesting.  Later she would buy scratch tickets and everytime the lotto got above $100 million we would buy a ticket.  So when the TN lottery started I played here and there.  Which leads to me playing today.  I find playing very exciting because there is always that chance you could have the ticket.  Knowing someone is going to win and it could be you just makes the game that more exciting.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                          Florence, Alabama
                          United States
                          Member #8658
                          November 13, 2004
                          1993 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2007, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring

Hit With Stick

Green laugh

For me it was when I was stationed in Germany, 1970-1973.

It was the Hessen Lotto, a 6/49 game with a bonus number (not a MM or PB format, but a bonus prize for 5 of 6 + 1, so they drew 7 numbers). The sevent number was the "Zusatspielen"

Green laugh

The drawings were on Saturday nights on German TV. Neat way of learning to count in German!

I didn't live on base, I lived in a German household in town, and a neighbor down the street, the local German TV weatherman, hit the jackpot for over 2,000,000 DM. At the time a Deutsch Mark was about 25 cents.

hmmm me too. I was stationed in Hanau, Germany from 1988-92 I watched the draw on German tv every Wed. & Sat. hoping to be able to get out of the Army earlier with each draw.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!