Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why Quick Picks win...Hint: It's *NOT* what you think, folks!

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MegaWinner.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3502 Posts
Posted: April 13, 2007, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

If a person just played birthdays, you are limiting yourself to an awful lot of numbers - from 1 to 31, and ignoring 32-55.

So? Regardless of how many numbers you use to make your combinations, if you only play 10 combinations you're limiting yourself to only 10 of the millions of possible combinations. There's only one winning combination, and it will never require more than 6 numbers no matter how many numbers are in the matrix.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1958 Posts
    Posted: April 13, 2007, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Actually Guru, you can read documentation on what or most of what I stated in William Atwood's book, The Lottery Solution

1- Again, not the number of tickets but the number of combinations to be sold is controlled and has nothing to do with how many people are playing (although that most likely influences more combinations being released for a future drawing).

2- You can buy a ticket in NY and I can buy a ticket in CA and we can have the same combination. 

3- The number of quickpicks sold and the number of combinations released (computer-generated) are two different things.

"Always tell the truth.  That will astonish some and gratify the rest."

President Harry S. Truman, Democrat

First off, I didn't say anything about tickets, I said combinations. I don't care if it's in someone's book either. Of course you can buy a ticket in one state and one in another and have the same combination, that's why there's more than one winner sometimes. The number of combinations to be sold is not predetermined. The numbers of combinations sold is the number of combinations sold.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
      Member #119
      February 19, 2002
      527 Posts
      Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

You state "the  number of combinations to be sold is controlled".  This implies a pool of numbers is offered for sale, while another pool of numbers is held back.  Does this mean that all of the lottery machines in the Mega Millions states are linked to a central computer and obtain a supply of numbers for each drawing? 

Possibly a central computer could be linked OR each state's computer was programmed from a master computer to issue only a certain percentage of all possible combinations.

Which is it, a centralized pool of numbers or each lottery terminal is it's own RNG?  As answers come forward on this subject it would be good to mention a source for this information.   

Probably a centralized pool of numbers...

United States
        Member #119
        February 19, 2002
        527 Posts
        Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

The combinations that will be allowed are distributed by a small central computer. To keep that computer safe, and away from prying eyes, it is constanly being moved around on a special fleet of black helicopters. Greg only knows about it because the flights aren't random enough, and the helicopters have spent far too much time flying around his house.

How did YOU know I fly those helicoptors!!

:-)

"You can't HANDLE the TRUTH!"

California
          United States
          Member #46824
          October 1, 2006
          270 Posts
          Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

You state "the  number of combinations to be sold is controlled".  This implies a pool of numbers is offered for sale, while another pool of numbers is held back.  Does this mean that all of the lottery machines in the Mega Millions states are linked to a central computer and obtain a supply of numbers for each drawing? 

Possibly a central computer could be linked OR each state's computer was programmed from a master computer to issue only a certain percentage of all possible combinations.

Which is it, a centralized pool of numbers or each lottery terminal is it's own RNG?  As answers come forward on this subject it would be good to mention a source for this information.   

Probably a centralized pool of numbers...

Greg...your answers are "Possibly", "could" and "Probably".  Do you know for certain about the claims you made or are you just making stuff up?

United States
            Member #119
            February 19, 2002
            527 Posts
            Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Of course you can buy a ticket in one state and one in another and have the same combination, that's why there's more than one winner sometimes. 

You probably mean "more than one winner who has everything BUT the mega ball". 

The number of combinations to be sold is not predetermined.

Actually, if you read Atwood's book, you'll see that it is.  In addition, isn't it interesting no official from the MegaMillions "board" has said otherwise-- here or elsewhere? 

The numbers of combinations sold is the number of combinations sold.

Very true!  But that does not mean EVERY POSSIBLE combination IS issued/sold through the quickpick computer terminals!

"You can't HANDLE the truth!"

-A Few Good Men ?

United States
              Member #10720
              January 23, 2005
              933 Posts
              Posted: April 14, 2007, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

I don't get why the Lottery would try to limit the # of combinations, and I would love to see evidence of this other than "Atwood's book". Being I rarely play QP it would not matter anyway to me. Won 2 more today in 2 different States (no not played online) using my prg. Again I say that a good enough algorithm or program on certain games can beat QP but could it override the ratio enough to make profit. (Hello Backtesting!!!) If you rely on pure luck you will most likely only win 1/2 what you play over time unless you can win one Jackpot and then quit playing. If QP were the best way to play or if Lotteries forced us to play QP, I'd mostly quit playing and turn attention to other things. A simple program to generate a RNG combination could be written and then play it manually, it would be the same thing. I don't get that because they might block some combinations that makes QP better? I say again that those who put down using Systems do so because they wish they had one.

United States
                Member #119
                February 19, 2002
                527 Posts
                Posted: April 14, 2007, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Greg...your answers are "Possibly", "could" and "Probably".  Do you know for certain about the claims you made or are you just making stuff up?

Did journalist Dorothy Kilgallen "know for certain" that Oswald did not act alone (if he acted at all) to kill JFK? (before she died)

Did those who disputed the Warren Commission "know for certain" when witnesses gave accounts that conflicted with the Commission's central conclusion(s)?

I respect very much your question, CA Lottery Guy.  However, I am attempting to get LP readers to  think and question what is, based on (incomplete) information we now have (ala Atwood's book, etc.)

Galileo was maligned and persecuted because he defied the commonly held belief that the earth was flat.  Hardly anyone was willing to accept the science he asserted to contest "the common belief".

One role, among several, I have elected to play at LP is to get people to think, not necessarily "agree", mind you, but to think.

"We know the truth, not only by reason, but also by the heart."-Blaise Pascal

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them".-Galileo

The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeknig we may come upon the truth".-Pierre Abelard

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #50273
                  March 3, 2007
                  348 Posts
                  Posted: April 14, 2007, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Did journalist Dorothy Kilgallen "know for certain" that Oswald did not act alone (if he acted at all) to kill JFK? (before she died)

Did those who disputed the Warren Commission "know for certain" when witnesses gave accounts that conflicted with the Commission's central conclusion(s)?

I respect very much your question, CA Lottery Guy.  However, I am attempting to get LP readers to  think and question what is, based on (incomplete) information we now have (ala Atwood's book, etc.)

Galileo was maligned and persecuted because he defied the commonly held belief that the earth was flat.  Hardly anyone was willing to accept the science he asserted to contest "the common belief".

One role, among several, I have elected to play at LP is to get people to think, not necessarily "agree", mind you, but to think.

"We know the truth, not only by reason, but also by the heart."-Blaise Pascal

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them".-Galileo

The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to the question, and by seeknig we may come upon the truth".-Pierre Abelard

I don't think there is a predetermined number of combo's to be sold through all terminals.  I think each machine generates its own numbers and reports them back to a central computer along with the serial number and time stamp of each individual ticket.  Do I know this for sure?  Nope.  But for some logical reason, that is probably how it is done. 

I played 5 of my own numbers and then played 5 QP's following that and the numbers in the QP's were loaded with the numbers I picked on my own.  So much to the point that some lines had 3 of my picked numbers and others had 2 or 1.  I know I can't prove that theory but it was enough to make you go "hmm."

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley