Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Since we've had threads on winning billions

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2007, 2:10 am - IP Logged

From Parade Magazine, Personality Parade

April 15, 07

Joan Kroc, worth an estimated $2 billion when she died in 2003, gave $1.5 billion to the Salvation Army. She also left $200 million to NPR and millions to other worthy causes.

(She was the widow of Ray Kroc, McDonald's founder) 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #50273
    March 3, 2007
    348 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2007, 2:18 am - IP Logged

Well, its her money.  She could do what she wants with it.  I wonder if she had any close family and friends that she took care of.  Me personally, I wouldn't give that much money away.  I know I say that now but wow, 1.5 billy?  Maaaaaan, what I could do with that much dough.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2007, 5:33 am - IP Logged

Well, its her money.  She could do what she wants with it.  I wonder if she had any close family and friends that she took care of.  Me personally, I wouldn't give that much money away.  I know I say that now but wow, 1.5 billy?  Maaaaaan, what I could do with that much dough.

I'm in the minority that I don't feel I owe friends or family a penny.

That doesn't mean I won't give them anything, but I sure won't fund the rest of their lives/'take care of them'. I may pay off a mortgage, I may buy one a car, or I may fund a few through college, but again, I don't 'owe' anything to anyone.

They are not contributing to the lottery games I play, and I doubt they would if the subject ever came up, so, as I said... 

2 billion... A person could give away 1.985 billion of it and be just fine, don't you think ? 

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7712 Posts
        Posted: April 16, 2007, 9:39 am - IP Logged

I agree with guesser. Since my family is very small with mainly older folks who I will probably outlive the thought of leaving them a lot of money never enters my mind. In fact my problem is the opposite,WHO would I leave my (haha) $2 billion to? I look at my lottery playing as a part time "job". Since nobody has ever supplimented my income from THEIR jobs,why would they expect me to?

I look at it this way. No matter how much money you have you're not going to save the world. You will make a difference in a charity or someone's life but ONLY FOR A TIME. Money dries up and will dry up even faster if you don't know how to use it and/or invest it wisely. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2007, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand some of the comments here.  Where does it say she didn't leave money to her family?  I mean, each billion is equal to 1,000 million.  So even if she gave away $1.5 billion of her $2 billion, she still had 1/2 billion dollars left.  Let's say you have lots of close friends & relatives and gave 20 of them each $10 million, that would be $200 million. So you would still have well over 1/4 of a billion left.

Anyway, there are many other avenues to take financially when preparing your multi-billion dollar estate.  I hope I get a chance to travel just one of them!   

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
            Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
            United States
            Member #26084
            November 14, 2005
            199 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2007, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

I guess I've read far too many Agatha Christie novels but, I don’t want to be worth more to my extended family dead than alive. So on the premise of billions, yes I would tell my family that most of the money would go to charity. Whether I would do that, I don’t know, but oh what a problem I would love to have.

I watch a lot of Discover Channel and I would love to donate to various archeological digs all over the world. Also I have fallen in love with the world's rarest and strangest parrot, the Kakapo. It is the worlds only flightless, nocturnal parrot, as well as being the heaviest weighing up to 8 lbs. They live in New Zealand and only a little more then sixty are left. I would love to help out with their recovery before it is to late.Kakapo

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: April 17, 2007, 3:19 am - IP Logged

The owner of Macdonald, whosesoever it is, has to have or be worthed more than 2 billion dollars...If they don't...They are mentally slow...

"More important than winning the states' lotteries is the movie "Red Planet"......"

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: April 17, 2007, 6:03 am - IP Logged

The owner of Macdonald, whosesoever it is, has to have or be worthed more than 2 billion dollars...If they don't...They are mentally slow...

"More important than winning the states' lotteries is the movie "Red Planet"......"

Pumpi, McDonald's is a corporation with a Board of Directors. The restaurants are franchises and often an owner will operate 2 or 3 restaurants.  I'm sure the executives at the top of the food chain (so to speak) like the Director, President or the VP of Operations all make very handsome salaries.

Initially the franchise fee to own a restaurant isn't very high, but then you have rent to pay and all the other operating expenses.  I've read that initial start-up fees for a McDonald's range from $600,000 to over a million, depending on the area and restaurant.  I wish I bought one about 30 years ago!  I think someone on this board once said that some of the restaurants are owned by the corporation, which might be true, but the ones where I live are franchises and are very busy all the time.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: April 17, 2007, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

You wouldn't give that much money away? What are you going to do? Take it with you, perhaps, or have a big bonfire before you go?

When you have that much money you don't have any choice but to give it away.  You can give it to the government and your heirs when you die or you can give it away while you're still around.If you spend it on anything of value then you'll just have something other thancash to give away when you die. The reality is that you can't choose not to give it away. All you can do is choose how to give it away.

Coastal Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #2653
                    October 30, 2003
                    1866 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2007, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi76 said:

Pumpi, I don't think anyone worth 2 billion would be mentally challenged.

Oh, and it's McDonalds, not Macdonald. Have you not ever had a Mcburger or Mcfries ???

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2007, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi, McDonald's is a corporation with a Board of Directors. The restaurants are franchises and often an owner will operate 2 or 3 restaurants.  I'm sure the executives at the top of the food chain (so to speak) like the Director, President or the VP of Operations all make very handsome salaries.

Initially the franchise fee to own a restaurant isn't very high, but then you have rent to pay and all the other operating expenses.  I've read that initial start-up fees for a McDonald's range from $600,000 to over a million, depending on the area and restaurant.  I wish I bought one about 30 years ago!  I think someone on this board once said that some of the restaurants are owned by the corporation, which might be true, but the ones where I live are franchises and are very busy all the time.

Nearly 30 years ago it cost about a quarter million to open up the McDonald's I  briefly worked at, and the owner made more than 100 grand the first year. The operating expenses are meaningless when you can pay them and still get a 40% return on your investment, though the owner worked fairly hard for it. Five years later he had 4 stores and was making close to a half milion. No matter how much money you have, you can't just buy one, though. Having a lot of money means you can afford to buy expensive things, but it doesn't guarantee that you can run a business. When McDonald's sells a franchise they want it to be successful, for a number of reasons, so they won't consider offering a franchise unless they're confident that the owner will do a good job of running it.

Coastal Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #2653
                        October 30, 2003
                        1866 Posts
                        Posted: April 17, 2007, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Nearly 30 years ago it cost about a quarter million to open up the McDonald's I  briefly worked at, and the owner made more than 100 grand the first year. The operating expenses are meaningless when you can pay them and still get a 40% return on your investment, though the owner worked fairly hard for it. Five years later he had 4 stores and was making close to a half milion. No matter how much money you have, you can't just buy one, though. Having a lot of money means you can afford to buy expensive things, but it doesn't guarantee that you can run a business. When McDonald's sells a franchise they want it to be successful, for a number of reasons, so they won't consider offering a franchise unless they're confident that the owner will do a good job of running it.

I hear what you are saying, KY...but yet and still there are lot's of Mickey D's that are not run well.

Maybe it's the ones I go to ( I travel all over and see the good, the bad, and the ugly ) but it seems I see more and more that are not in accordance with company standards of good service.

Someone is not running the business very well. Maybe it's the manager's fault, not the owner, but then again who hired the management ?

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
                          Member #51269
                          April 3, 2007
                          529 Posts
                          Posted: April 18, 2007, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

From Parade Magazine, Personality Parade

April 15, 07

Joan Kroc, worth an estimated $2 billion when she died in 2003, gave $1.5 billion to the Salvation Army. She also left $200 million to NPR and millions to other worthy causes.

(She was the widow of Ray Kroc, McDonald's founder) 

The only person who'd get billions from me is NASA.  We desperately need a way off this sinking ship.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: April 19, 2007, 2:44 am - IP Logged

The only person who'd get billions from me is NASA.  We desperately need a way off this sinking ship.

Getting off might be good, but the biggest reason the ship is sinking is because it's overloaded. You might get more bang for your buck by giving to planned parenthod.

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
                              Member #51269
                              April 3, 2007
                              529 Posts
                              Posted: April 19, 2007, 5:10 am - IP Logged

Getting off might be good, but the biggest reason the ship is sinking is because it's overloaded. You might get more bang for your buck by giving to planned parenthod.

Uhm, no.  The reasion the ship is sinking is because of global warming.  In 30 or so years, when it's out of hand, planned parenthood will take on a whole new desperate meaning.