Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

'All or Nothing' game

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by GASMETERGUY.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you play this?

Sure, why not [ 5 ]  [17.24%]
I'll play anything [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No way, need a bone once in a while [ 6 ]  [20.69%]
It would flop [ 3 ]  [10.34%]
Only if they kept it at $1 [ 6 ]  [20.69%]
Only if it was multi-state [ 1 ]  [3.45%]
The jackpot has to start at $25 million [ 4 ]  [13.79%]
*Losing tickets have to have a shot at something [ 1 ]  [3.45%]
Only with winnings from another game [ 2 ]  [6.90%]
Other, explain please. [ 1 ]  [3.45%]
Total Valid Votes [ 29 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10347 Posts
Posted: April 18, 2007, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Would you play a game- more than likely a Pick 5 + 1, or maybe a Pick 6 - with a grid no larger than any current grids, where the jackpot builds and there are no winners other than the jackpot?

Explain your answer if you will, please.  

Where would the jackpot have to start for you to play it?

What would the jackpot have to build to for you to play it?

Are you playing to 'win it all' already, anyway? 

*For option 8 above, I mean some kind of second chance drawing.  One of those where you send a certain dollar amount worht of thickets in and there's a drawing for prizes.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #10720
    January 23, 2005
    933 Posts
    Posted: April 18, 2007, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

I think the opposite, I would rather get more for the lower prizes. I'd be as happy with 20 MILL as with 200 MILL, and the reason a lot of people stop playing is when they get something like 4+0 and find it pays $100 and not $1000 or so, or that 2+1 pays only 10 dollars. I don't like games where you have to mail in losing tickets, it would be ok if it could be entered online simply entering a code and hitting the button and if it wins THEN you mail it in. An all or nothing might be OK starting at 50 MILL in that case.

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: April 18, 2007, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

I think the opposite, I would rather get more for the lower prizes. I'd be as happy with 20 MILL as with 200 MILL, and the reason a lot of people stop playing is when they get something like 4+0 and find it pays $100 and not $1000 or so, or that 2+1 pays only 10 dollars. I don't like games where you have to mail in losing tickets, it would be ok if it could be entered online simply entering a code and hitting the button and if it wins THEN you mail it in. An all or nothing might be OK starting at 50 MILL in that case.

I agree whole-heartedly. That's why I don't play Pick 3 and 4, at least straight. I would never play a game with no lower tiers, and no one with a brain would either.

(insert signature here)

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #50273
        March 3, 2007
        348 Posts
        Posted: April 18, 2007, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

Only if were no more than a dollar per ticket.  It would have to start at with at least a $20 million annuity jackpot and be held once a week to keep it going.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: April 19, 2007, 1:51 am - IP Logged

The states already offer plenty of games with low level prizes for those who prefer them to the structure of the jackpot games. Statistically you should expect to lose at least half of your money over the long term, and if winning 10 grand over the course of 20 years makes a significant difference in your life you shouldn't be playing the lottery anyway. Even a modest jackpot will change your life. An all or nothing game should appeal to all players with sense.

With jackpot games typically putting about 30% into the jackpot and 20% into lower tier prizes, eliminating the lower tier prizes would increase the jackpot by about 67%. Assuming no change in ticket sales  that would mean that PB and MM would start at  25 and 20 million. The recent MM  record jackpot would have been about $650 million, or nearly $385 million cash. Based on the huge increase in ticket sales for large jackpots it's a safe bet that a jackpot of that size would have boosted ticket sales substantially even with no low level prizes available.

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: April 19, 2007, 11:05 am - IP Logged

The games I play seem to already be all or nothing..

I usually get nothing and someone else gets the "all ".

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
              Gurnee, Illinois
              United States
              Member #49731
              February 12, 2007
              917 Posts
              Posted: April 19, 2007, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

I agree whole-heartedly. That's why I don't play Pick 3 and 4, at least straight. I would never play a game with no lower tiers, and no one with a brain would either.

I like the idea of an all or nothing game...must start at no less than $30 million with the CVO being 60% of the annuitized jackpot amount.  Twice a week draws with a 5 + 1 matrix of 1 - 53 and 1 - 40 bonus ball.  $1 per play (this would be the only game that wouldn't need a multiplier feature since it's all or nothing!!!).

Now the only few times I have ever played pick 4 was straight...I don't play pick 3 because $500 is chump change and I don't play pick 4 because like DoubleDown I have as much luck winning it as I have in the mega jackpot games...so I figure that when the day comes that my lucky stars line up and I possess a valid lottery slip that has all the winning numbers on the same line, it might as well be for whatever millions the jackpot is rather than $5,000...don't get me wrong, $5 Grand is nice, but millions is much better...$5 grand I pay a few bills and maybe do some small nice gesture...$10 + million I can do a whole lot of fun stuff!  So my brain is focused on beating the multimillion odds to be that one winning the PB/MM jackpot...by buying a QP of all things!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Delaware
                United States
                Member #30273
                January 14, 2006
                494 Posts
                Posted: April 19, 2007, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

I proposed something similar to this in the Pick 5 forum a few months ago. It was a Pick 5/25 with whoever matches 5/5 gets or splits the pot. If no one, those matching 4/5 get it, etc. It received a big thumbs down.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10347 Posts
                  Posted: April 19, 2007, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Pick 5 games just don't get to that level of jackpots. In Illinois ours is now a 5/ 39 with a prgoressive jackpot that has gone over $1,000,000 a few times, but that's rare.

I've posted before about a 'wider' winner base, which is something I'd like to see.... say three $50 million dollar winners when a jackpot is $150 million, but put this poll up for fun.

Nothing else creates a frenzy like a huge jackpot - just watch the board, and the TV news the next time PB or MM is up.

Also, most of the lower tier prizes usually go towards buying more tickets, so what the heck. Let the lottery put that money back into the jackpot to build it up instead of letting the players handle it for a few moments between draws and then give it back.

Actually, I'd like to see both kind of games come into being, one with a wider winner base, and one that's all or nothing.

We'relong  overdue for a nationwide lottery anyway.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: April 19, 2007, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

You took the words right out of my mouth.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: April 20, 2007, 11:57 am - IP Logged

i know what you mean especially this month because i have only hit the powerball number once all month and i have had powerplays because of the 10x multiplier so i keep hitting the "nothing" part but it will be worth it when i hit the "all"...Sun Smiley

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: April 20, 2007, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

If it's only $1 per game, that's my vote.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: May 5, 2007, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Although I usually don't even get "a bone" it's nice to get those little $5 prizes or even win a free ticket.  I'm not sure I would want to play a game where there is only a jackpot prize.  I mainly play the Florida Lotto which is a 6/53 game and the 5/6 prize is usually around $5,000.  I think it stinks that the 4/6 prize is only about $70 (4 numbers is the most I've gotten) but unless the odds of winning the jackpot were increased by lowering the matrix, I vote "No."  If they changed it back to a 6/49 game maybe I'd vote "Yes" instead.  As long as the jackpot is over $3M, increasing the jackpot amount isn't as important to me as increasing the possibility of winning. 

NASHVILLE, TENN
                            United States
                            Member #33372
                            February 20, 2006
                            1044 Posts
                            Posted: May 5, 2007, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

In my august opinion an "all or nothing game" is the only way the lottory should be played.

Those who like lower tier prizes are hoping to reap a profit over time.  I do not believe this is possible.  So why not have one huge jackpot for the winner

$500 for winning the P3 is not worth the effort.  $5000 for the P4 might be better but agan, not enough of a jackpot to be worthwhile.  So roll those P5, PB, and MM games and let those who like $10 to $50 every now and then have at the P3/P4 games.