Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you think lottery tickets should be sold 'round the clock?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MegaWinner.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think lottery tickets should be sold 'round the clock?

Heck yeah! It would be very convenient. [ 34 ]  [70.83%]
Nah, its fine the way it is. [ 14 ]  [29.17%]
Undecided [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #50273
March 3, 2007
348 Posts
Posted: April 20, 2007, 12:40 am - IP Logged

Do you think lottery tickets should be sold 'round the clock?  I personally think they should.  Lets say let them go offline for 15 minutes before a drawing and from 3am till 4am to update firmware or whatever it is they update.

Sometimes I don't get off work until 10pm and most machines have been down for a few hours by then.  It would be really convenient if I could go into a 7-11 or gas station and buy lottery tickets anytime of the day or night.

What do you all think?

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: April 20, 2007, 12:48 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't be surprised if they are sold all night in stores in some areas.  

Personally, it's not that important to me.  I'm assuming that most people who work late at night buy their tickets on the way to work or on their days off if they're regular players.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: April 20, 2007, 1:04 am - IP Logged

In my town 24hrs. gas stations only shut down their terminals for maintenance, updating and when they're out of order so you can buy lottery tickets almost anytime, but you still have to wait for the noon and evening drawings to get the results.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #50273
        March 3, 2007
        348 Posts
        Posted: April 20, 2007, 1:23 am - IP Logged

In my town 24hrs. gas stations only shut down their terminals for maintenance, updating and when they're out of order so you can buy lottery tickets almost anytime, but you still have to wait for the noon and evening drawings to get the results.

Cool.  I wish it were like this in New Jersey.  All the stores I go to close their machines before 10:45pm, even the 24hour stores.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: April 20, 2007, 2:03 am - IP Logged

they should keep it 24/7, this way the jackpot will grow bigger for Powerball/MM....In Georgia is only until 10:45pm and then i think you have to wait 'til 7am...

"The Truth is Out there....."                          from movie "The X-Files"

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: April 20, 2007, 9:28 am - IP Logged

yes i would like to be able to buy lottery tickets anytime because i am a night owl anyway

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: April 20, 2007, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Pumpi, if the terminal ran 24/7, when would it be shut down for the drawings ?

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8359 Posts
                Posted: April 20, 2007, 11:13 am - IP Logged

In Maryland as far as i know you can buy tickets until 1:30 am. Then they shut down for updates and selling re opens at 6:am. You can buy tickets for any drawing up to 10/20 minutes before the draw. If you are buying tickets for a drawing and the machine cuts off selling tickets for the present draw the machine automatically places the bet for the next drawing.

United States
                  Member #16612
                  June 2, 2005
                  3493 Posts
                  Posted: April 20, 2007, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

My vote thinks it's fair around the clock.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19816 Posts
                    Posted: April 20, 2007, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi, if the terminal ran 24/7, when would it be shut down for the drawings ?

In Ohio the terminals don't shut down for the drawings, they just start printing tickets for the next drawing 15 minutes before the drawing.  Playing close to the drawing time, players take the chance that their tickets will be printed for the next drawing if the clerk is not alert and tell them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7295 Posts
                      Posted: April 20, 2007, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio the terminals don't shut down for the drawings, they just start printing tickets for the next drawing 15 minutes before the drawing.  Playing close to the drawing time, players take the chance that their tickets will be printed for the next drawing if the clerk is not alert and tell them.

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I was using a playslip and only 3 out 10 tickets printed so the clerk ran them again. I checked the tickets when she told me I owed her $13 and 10 of them were for the next draw. The Lottery machines stops printing the Midday draw at 12:25 and the Evening draw at 7:25.

Lottery agents are required to keep their businesses opened a half hour after the drawing.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                        Beautiful Florida
                        United States
                        Member #5709
                        July 18, 2004
                        20106 Posts
                        Posted: April 21, 2007, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Cool.  I wish it were like this in New Jersey.  All the stores I go to close their machines before 10:45pm, even the 24hour stores.

The State shuts their computor down at 11:00 pm and comes back up at 6:00 am, here in NJ..!     

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5114 Posts
                          Posted: April 22, 2007, 12:51 am - IP Logged

The State shuts their computor down at 11:00 pm and comes back up at 6:00 am, here in NJ..!     

anybody want too

gue$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

how?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

PSYKOMO..voted

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"YES"$$$$$$$$

THIS would give the COMPUTER's something to DO & not sleep!! 

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: April 23, 2007, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

Why would anyone want to buy tickets around a clock?

I just go to the terminal and hand in my betslip. The clocks I see at the store are too high up on the wall to reach anyway.

If I was to choose something to play around, it wouldn't be around a clock. I'd buy my tix around a framed picture of a super model.  And a little closer to ground level.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: April 23, 2007, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

Why would anyone want to buy tickets around a clock?

I just go to the terminal and hand in my betslip. The clocks I see at the store are too high up on the wall to reach anyway.

If I was to choose something to play around, it wouldn't be around a clock. I'd buy my tix around a framed picture of a super model.  And a little closer to ground level.

That makes sense.  I think buying tickets around a bar would generate more sales.  People tend to spend more when they're drinking.

Anyway, if someone were to buy around a clock and lost, he might get very ticked off.  That happened one night in a busy convenient store where there were 14 people standing in line and the man struck 12.  I guess the clerk fell behind and needed a second hand.  It was alarming.

That guy was really in a zone.  He had been playing for years and spent all of his daylight savings, so he had to play at night.  He misunderstood when the store manager told the clerk "Don't forget to punch out."  The sheriff showed up and the man is now doing time.