Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 5:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Maybe when a lottery does a roll over thats your chance

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by bambini.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #1003
January 8, 2003
169 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2007, 9:12 am - IP Logged

Maybe if you bet a lottery will roll over each time you play you would improve your odds. Big time!

You have to wait. Wait until the last minute to play and know what the unplayed combos were at that time.

Each time a lottery does a roll over  that could be your chance to win.  At least the odds would be better for your just in time numbers . 

Maybe someone with access to the lottery computer totals up to that point in time and play just the unplayed combinations that were left over.

If you could find out what combinations were not purchased just before the cut off time then maybe your odds would be better! 

The Odds may be 220 million to one and the lottery only sells 215 million worth of tickets thats your chance.

Your odds would be only 5 million to one!

You could form a cartel. Win a hundred million or something!

Funny, right?

Maybe not too funny!  

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10388 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2007, 10:10 am - IP Logged

"You have to wait. Wait until the last minute to play and know what the unplayed combos were at that time."

Unless you've gotten a hold of some alien technology from Area 51 knowing all the unpaid combinations is virtually impossible.

Waiting until the last minute to find them out, and playing them, even via a cartel, could only happen in a story that starts, "Once upon a time...." 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19891 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2007, 11:00 am - IP Logged

Winning numbers have some characteristics in common, simply play a group of numbers with those characteristics.  Usually it takes time to come up with such a group so the earlier you start, the better.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2007, 11:21 am - IP Logged

Dr. Pepper writes:

"If you could find out what combinations were not purchased just before the cut off time then maybe your odds would be better! "

Can you please explain why you feel this is true?  There are people who play the same numbers for years and finally win.  I've read many articles that say "Joe & Mary have plaved the same numbers for 10 years."  This means they played them last week too!  So why would knowing what combinations weren't chosen have any effect whatsoever on the next drawing, unless you are sure the games are not random and there is a program that eliminates previous picks. 

Anyway, I agree with Coin Toss if you are talking about a multi state game lik PB or MM where there are over $140 million possible combinations being purchased by millions of people in different states. 

"Your odds would be only 5 million to one!"

Okay, let's say this is true...that's still very high and has some risk.  We have a game called MegaMoney where the odds are less than 3 million to one and it often rolls over several times. Our Fantasy 5 game has odds of 370K to one and last night nobody won. This gives you a good indication of how "easy" it is to win a game where there are hundreds of millions of combinations. You would have to buy 5 million combinations and hope that there were no other winners. You would also have to make sure that there were no mistakes on all 5 million slips, no numbers were duplicated at the terminal and that there was plenty of time between games to make those purchases.

"You could form a cartel. Win a hundred million or something!"

Use the SEARCH feature to find the thread about a syndicate in Virginia that tried to fool the system.  You can't get away with it, since suddenly a lottery (intended for the public) becomes organized gambling. 

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3090 Posts
          Posted: April 21, 2007, 11:27 am - IP Logged

You can not cross off one combination after that combination is drawn.  Every time the lottery draws every combination in that number pool has an equal chance at being drawn.  Take for instance the Powerball drawing were the 18 was drawn twice for powerball in drawings back to back.  Their are 42 numbers for the red Powerball but yet 18 appears again.  Each number has an equal chance to appear.

I would not try to buy combinations in the thousands or higher because I think it is a waste of time and money but good luck to you.-weshar75

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19891 Posts
            Posted: April 21, 2007, 11:50 am - IP Logged

You can not cross off one combination after that combination is drawn.

Don't you mean number, a combination is a group of numbers.  When did the same group of numbers ever appear more than once in either a PowerBall or MegaMillions drawing?

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #10720
              January 23, 2005
              933 Posts
              Posted: April 21, 2007, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

This makes as much sense as saying that the heat from the Lottery terminal machines is causing Global Warming. Your odds of matching are whatever they are based on how many tickets you buy. The more tickets that are sold in general the less chance of a rollover. It's only natural for there to be some tickets having the same numbers, and being such high odds that often there is only one winner. The last big Mega had 2 winners both having QP I believe which busts any conspiracy theory about QP blocking combinations. In the situation described the odds of a rollover are low. Even if you have the information of unplayed combinations it would not help other than you could play numbers that you know you wouldn't have to share the prize. This would be more usable in a pari-mutual Pick-3/Pick-4 game so that you'd play numbers that would produce a bigger prize for the same odds.

United States
                Member #34266
                March 1, 2006
                188 Posts
                Posted: April 21, 2007, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

I had a theory once that the main frame of the lottery computers at 10:30 would generate a list of all the numbers played and select a number  not played and it would be the winning number selected at the drawing at 11.  That is how the jackpot, would continue to roll, unless of course someone bought a quick pick at 10:35 with the winning combo.  They really don't nead to do that though, the number combos are infinite.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: April 21, 2007, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

LckyLary writes:

"This makes as much sense as saying that the heat from the Lottery terminal machines is causing Global Warming."

ROFL  funny!!!

I actually do care very much about our environment.  But when a recent employer didn't provide soap or paper towels in the bathroom because "they hurt the environment" I told him he was just a cheap so-n-so.  Life goes on.  I figure since I decided not to be cremated, I've done my part.  

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10388 Posts
                    Posted: April 21, 2007, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Dr Pepper

There's another flaw in your approach, any individual or group that had tens of or hundreds of millions to throw at unplayed combinations would never risk it on a lottery.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19891 Posts
                      Posted: April 21, 2007, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I had a theory once that the main frame of the lottery computers at 10:30 would generate a list of all the numbers played and select a number  not played and it would be the winning number selected at the drawing at 11.  That is how the jackpot, would continue to roll, unless of course someone bought a quick pick at 10:35 with the winning combo.  They really don't nead to do that though, the number combos are infinite.

Actually the number of combos in any lottery are not infinite.  A pick3 only have 1000 possible combination, a pick4 has 10,000, a 6/49 game only has 13,983,816 combos and etc.

Evil Looking       

United States
                        Member #34266
                        March 1, 2006
                        188 Posts
                        Posted: April 21, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I was just testing LP members, on their knowledge.