Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Honesty About Your Desire For Wealth

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do You Have A Money Phobia?

Yes [ 7 ]  [15.56%]
No [ 32 ]  [71.11%]
I Never Thought About It [ 3 ]  [6.67%]
I'd Have To Give It More Thought [ 3 ]  [6.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 45 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2007, 1:09 am - IP Logged

Justexploring I believe you when you say that you are not afraid of money, but you have to be kidding when you said that you don't have a desire for wealth. Anyone who plays the lottery (including myself) haves a desire for wealth, If we did not then why would we play? I just think that some people desire it more than others.  Like everyone else just waiting for my ship to come in.

Thinking of...

No, I wasn't kidding.  Sure, I'd like to have lots of money.  I wrote that on another post earlier about money & happiness. What I meant my statement is that my goal isn't to win hundreds of millions or so I can live in luxury.  My goal is to have a comfortable home that's paid for and enough money to assure I'll have a good retirement if I live a long life. I'd also like to help others.  I know there are no guarantees in life.  Any one of us could be gone tomorrow.  Just turn on the TV.  However, knowing you don't have to struggle, put up with a difficult boss, or fight traffic every day would be a nice feeling.  Maybe I'm lazy, but my goal isn't the huge mansion or the fancy car, it's just the freedom of being a bum if that's all I want to be.

"I just think that some people desire it more than others.  Like everyone else just waiting for my ship to come in."

Maybe that's what I was trying to say.  I would certainly welcome the opportunity, but extreme wealth isn't my main desire.  When my ship comes in, it doesn't have to be an ocean liner is what I meant. I like pontoons and I could probably live on a 14 x 60 houseboat! 

JAP69's avatar - alas
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #6
    November 4, 2001
    8797 Posts
    Posted: April 23, 2007, 1:44 am - IP Logged

Money  takes away the stress of being a debtor.

I have known people that came into money and they went thru it like water in a bucket with holes.
    Ended up broke again.

Oo'Ka

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: April 23, 2007, 5:23 am - IP Logged

No, I wasn't kidding.  Sure, I'd like to have lots of money.  I wrote that on another post earlier about money & happiness. What I meant my statement is that my goal isn't to win hundreds of millions or so I can live in luxury.  My goal is to have a comfortable home that's paid for and enough money to assure I'll have a good retirement if I live a long life. I'd also like to help others.  I know there are no guarantees in life.  Any one of us could be gone tomorrow.  Just turn on the TV.  However, knowing you don't have to struggle, put up with a difficult boss, or fight traffic every day would be a nice feeling.  Maybe I'm lazy, but my goal isn't the huge mansion or the fancy car, it's just the freedom of being a bum if that's all I want to be.

"I just think that some people desire it more than others.  Like everyone else just waiting for my ship to come in."

Maybe that's what I was trying to say.  I would certainly welcome the opportunity, but extreme wealth isn't my main desire.  When my ship comes in, it doesn't have to be an ocean liner is what I meant. I like pontoons and I could probably live on a 14 x 60 houseboat! 

But how do you calculate just exactly how much money it would take to make you 'comfortable' *AND* tailor-make a game that, if won, would provide you with that exact amount ?

It almost sounds like you would rather win 4 mill instead of 150 mill ???  

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2007, 9:47 am - IP Logged

How much do we really need? Might make a good poll. Would you rather win $4 million and be set, be very comfortable, or win $150 million and the fleeting but inevitable fame that comes with it, and not have a moment's peace?

I was at a seminar once and the speaker went around the room asking people what they would do with one million dollars. Most people gave typical answers about buying a house, a nice car, maybe a boat, etc...

The speaker would listen to them and then say, "You don't need a million, you need a couple of hundred thousand at most". (This was in the early 1980's, but think about it).  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
          Member #28409
          December 15, 2005
          1198 Posts
          Posted: April 23, 2007, 10:48 am - IP Logged

This poll makes alot of sense to me. In my family we had that parable about "it's easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven" pounded into our heads. My brother actually thought it was a sin to be rich. One day he made a comment about that to me and I explained that God wants all of his people to be rich. Proof? Job was very rich. One of the richest men in his time. But he was also God's servant. King David was also, well, a king ! And a servant of God. He proves to us over and over that he wills us to be rich and healthy and happy. After explaining that, in greater detail, to my brother, he went to medical school and is now living the life he always wanted. Whereas before, he worked like a dog in these holes in the ground (coal mines of KY) from dawn 'til dusk just to make the ends meet. I think he had a money phobia and it helped him to understand there was no reason to fear being rich. Only letting it get in the way of doing God's will and doing evil things with it would be a sin. I am proud to say, I can't tell that he does neither evil things or let it get in his way of doing God's will. He is a very generous man and christian.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: April 23, 2007, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

This poll makes alot of sense to me. In my family we had that parable about "it's easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven" pounded into our heads. My brother actually thought it was a sin to be rich. One day he made a comment about that to me and I explained that God wants all of his people to be rich. Proof? Job was very rich. One of the richest men in his time. But he was also God's servant. King David was also, well, a king ! And a servant of God. He proves to us over and over that he wills us to be rich and healthy and happy. After explaining that, in greater detail, to my brother, he went to medical school and is now living the life he always wanted. Whereas before, he worked like a dog in these holes in the ground (coal mines of KY) from dawn 'til dusk just to make the ends meet. I think he had a money phobia and it helped him to understand there was no reason to fear being rich. Only letting it get in the way of doing God's will and doing evil things with it would be a sin. I am proud to say, I can't tell that he does neither evil things or let it get in his way of doing God's will. He is a very generous man and christian.

i agree with you spy because why do some people think that only the pastors should be rich while the members should just tithe and be happy with what they have? i agree God doesnt have a problem with you being rich as long as you dont make money your new idol and your new god that is when God has a problem because you are putting a god before Him. the pastors are making millions and some of the television ministries combined near the billion dollar mark so why cant we the believers also be wealthy? i pray and stay focused and i think positive about being rich soon.Banana

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: April 23, 2007, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

But how do you calculate just exactly how much money it would take to make you 'comfortable' *AND* tailor-make a game that, if won, would provide you with that exact amount ?

It almost sounds like you would rather win 4 mill instead of 150 mill ???  

One of my favorite lines in a movie was when Strother Martin said to Paul Newman "What we have here is a failure to communicate.  Some men you just can't reach..."

Again, where did I say that?  I don't think I ever said I wouldn't welcome a huge jackpot, did I?  I only know I would be thrilled to win a lot less.  Who wouldn't be happy winning $1 or $2 million?  That doesn't mean $10 million wouldn't be a lot nicer. 

Coastal Georgia
                United States
                Member #2653
                October 30, 2003
                1866 Posts
                Posted: April 23, 2007, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

One of my favorite lines in a movie was when Strother Martin said to Paul Newman "What we have here is a failure to communicate.  Some men you just can't reach..."

Again, where did I say that?  I don't think I ever said I wouldn't welcome a huge jackpot, did I?  I only know I would be thrilled to win a lot less.  Who wouldn't be happy winning $1 or $2 million?  That doesn't mean $10 million wouldn't be a lot nicer. 

Look right under my avatar--- It's my favorite saying, JXP....

And, oh so true.............

Some people Lurking  for some reason cannot come up with an original post so they (lurk)wait for others to say something then they pounce.

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #51734
                  April 22, 2007
                  22 Posts
                  Posted: May 1, 2007, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I don't have any phobia of being wealthy!  I think about it everyday.  I want all the fame, attention, problems and luxuries that come along with it,  and I truely believe I will have that sooner or later!!

Sunny California
                    United States
                    Member #40295
                    May 31, 2006
                    7713 Posts
                    Posted: May 1, 2007, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.

Okay,who are we all trying to fool??

We want it all and we want it now!!!  LOLLOLLOL

md
                      United States
                      Member #14047
                      April 20, 2005
                      580 Posts
                      Posted: May 4, 2007, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.Grab The Dollars... A fun e-wish for all your near and dear ones.

Okay,who are we all trying to fool??

We want it all and we want it now!!!  LOLLOLLOL

lottolaughs-

Thats my point.  I really don't think anyone plays who doesn't desire the wealth and winning.  What we do with it afterwards is what separates all of us.  Winners and losers.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                        Nova Scotia
                        Canada
                        Member #9934
                        December 27, 2004
                        891 Posts
                        Posted: May 4, 2007, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't mind wealth. That's what the lottery is all about. I have my dreams of what I would do if I got a windfall. 

Hyper