Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you found a....

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 10 years ago by BBBx3.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you found a plastic bag behind the Lottery office with 2 million cash in it

I would turn it in to to the cops [ 10 ]  [23.26%]
I would take it home, and wait a year to spend it [ 20 ]  [46.51%]
I would bring it in to the lottery office [ 2 ]  [4.65%]
I don't know [ 6 ]  [13.95%]
other [ 5 ]  [11.63%]
Total Valid Votes [ 43 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2007, 9:54 am - IP Logged

I think that according to the law, you have to turn in money found.

However, I will keep my opinions to myself on this one, as not to self incriminate myself, if I do find a bag one day...LOL

I did this poll because of something I responded to in another thread.

pacattack05's avatar - avatar 2637
Platinum Member
Top 50 Poster
ALIEN FROM PLANET BORKAN
Advanced
bonita springs florida
United States
Member #17858
June 22, 2005
3351 Posts

There's a retirement community about 20 miles from where I live in Bonita Springs called Shell Pointe, and in other sections there is general housing, apartments and the such.

About 9 or so years ago, 3 or 4 huge black garbage bags were found just inside the entrance by the wayside of the road. I forget, but it was either a man, or the cleaning crew who found the bags and looked inside. What they found was a large amount of cash in them. I think it was about 5 million. I believe it was bank robbery or something that went bad.

The person or persons only received something like a couple a hundred bucks reward, if I remember correctly. It could be a little more but not sure. 

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
    Member #28409
    December 15, 2005
    1198 Posts
    Posted: April 23, 2007, 10:57 am - IP Logged

pacattack, this one is tricky. I have to say, I don't know. Confused

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
      nashville
      United States
      Member #49896
      February 18, 2007
      1181 Posts
      Posted: April 23, 2007, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

i voted turn it into the cops because that is too much money for no one to miss it and you never know how it will turn out because what if you  ended up in witness protection program because it was drug money and you had to testify against the drug dealers.

SirMetro's avatar - center
        East of Atlanta
        United States
        Member #6191
        August 11, 2004
        1389 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2007, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

I am not sure about other states, but here in GA, the reward for turning in money bags that are labeled such as Wells Fargo is 10%. BUT, if you KEEP it and get caught, you risk going to jail the same as if you stole it, no matter how you happen upon it. And yes, there has been a few cases where a guy found a couple of Wells Fargo (or similiar company) bags of money. After sitting on it for 24 hours, he did turn them in and got a 10% reward for his efforts.

BTW...statue of limitations for stolen money is 7 years, not sure about lost/found money. However, I did once hear a story of a guy who was dumpster diving at a local landfill found like $10K in a bag. Turned it in and if not claimed after 30 days, it becomes his (and gets reported to the IRS, so yes, he had to pay taxes on it as well). Since it had trace amounts of drugs on it, no one claimed it and he got to receive it after 30 days. So...now what do you think about dumpster diving?

Sir Metro

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10390 Posts
          Posted: April 23, 2007, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

I want to say turn it into the lottery or the cops. That's what I want to say.

However, in the late 1950's in Jersey City, a guy and his kid were walking down the street when they saw a car in a driveway with the trunk half open. So the guy looks inside, and there's a satchel with $50,000 in it. He knocks on the door of the house, no one home.

He took the satchel with the money in it to a police station and turned it into the desk sergeant.

Don' forget this was in the 1950's and $50,000.

The desk sergeant disappeared.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: April 23, 2007, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

I want to say turn it into the lottery or the cops. That's what I want to say.

However, in the late 1950's in Jersey City, a guy and his kid were walking down the street when they saw a car in a driveway with the trunk half open. So the guy looks inside, and there's a satchel with $50,000 in it. He knocks on the door of the house, no one home.

He took the satchel with the money in it to a police station and turned it into the desk sergeant.

Don' forget this was in the 1950's and $50,000.

The desk sergeant disappeared.  

OMG!!  Eek

Famous expression I always use

"NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED"  --  Clare Booth Luce

I don't know what I'd do.  I guess after seeing Scarface and the chainsaw scene, I'd be afraid the money was drug money and someone would find me and torture me.   I would turn it into the police, but I would also feel like a fool.  So I guess I'm no saint, huh? 

By the way, my last blog entry was on money laundering. (although I was kidding around)  It's not very easy to hide $2 million and the penalties are very stiff.  You could probably be prosecuted under the Patriot Act too, since terrorists use hiding money in various accounts, buying insurance, cars, real estate, etc. to hide money.

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: April 23, 2007, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

I am pretty sure I would keep it.

Put it this way- I would have to have a long talk with myself to find a reason to turn it in.

angelm's avatar - anne
                richmond ky.
                United States
                Member #15877
                May 22, 2005
                8472 Posts
                Posted: April 23, 2007, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Don't really knowWhat?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1958 Posts
                  Posted: April 23, 2007, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

I would keep it. Of course you are faced with several problems if you do. If you keep it all in cash you have to keep it in a very safe place so no one will steal it. If you want to put it into a bank account, you'll probably have to hide from the IRS.

Gonna win.Big Smile

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: April 23, 2007, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Any transaction with a cash amount over $10,000 has to be reported doesn't it?  I worked at a car dealership a long time ago and I remember when everyone had to watch a movie about the possibility of someone walking in with a suitcase full of cash.  It was actually very funny, like the old anti-marijuana movies.  (anyone see Reefer Madness made in 1936?)  I'm trying to picture what $2 million would look like.  100,000 20 dollar bills or maybe 40,000 50 dollar bills or 20,000 100 dollar bills....or a mix of all of them.  That's a lot of paper!  It would be nice to roll in it, although I understand money has more germs on it than just about anything we touch.  It's a dirty world out there I tell ya!!

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: April 23, 2007, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

It would be nice to roll in it, although I understand money has more germs on it than just about anything we touch.  It's a dirty world out there I tell ya!!

That's why they have to launder money...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10390 Posts
                        Posted: April 23, 2007, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Any transaction with a cash amount over $10,000 has to be reported doesn't it?  I worked at a car dealership a long time ago and I remember when everyone had to watch a movie about the possibility of someone walking in with a suitcase full of cash.  It was actually very funny, like the old anti-marijuana movies.  (anyone see Reefer Madness made in 1936?)  I'm trying to picture what $2 million would look like.  100,000 20 dollar bills or maybe 40,000 50 dollar bills or 20,000 100 dollar bills....or a mix of all of them.  That's a lot of paper!  It would be nice to roll in it, although I understand money has more germs on it than just about anything we touch.  It's a dirty world out there I tell ya!!

Reporting Cash Transactions Over $10,000:

http://www.yale.edu/tax/docs/rules_def_8300.pdf 

http://www.uh.edu/treasury/FAQ_Reporting%20Cash%20Payments%20of%20Over%20$10K.pdf 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                          Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #48725
                          January 7, 2007
                          1958 Posts
                          Posted: April 23, 2007, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Is there a way to legitimately put that much money that you found somewhere into the bank? Can you pay taxes on it?

Gonna win.Big Smile

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #50273
                            March 3, 2007
                            348 Posts
                            Posted: April 23, 2007, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, but that bag is coming home with me.  Finders keepers, losers weepers!!!

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

Big Hitter's avatar - tdspin17 e0.gif
                              Constitutional Money Is Real Money
                              Brick City
                              United States
                              Member #1216
                              March 3, 2003
                              1780 Posts
                              Posted: April 23, 2007, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

I voted to keep it and wait the year then spend it. Not worried about the consequences, since I found it and didn't steal it. If it wasn't meant for me to find it, I wouldn't have found it...

Whatever you fear most has no power - it is your fear that has the power.
                              Oprah Winfrey

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                              (attributed to) Albert Einstein

I have failed many times, and that's why I am a success.
                              Michael Jordan

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals
                              himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Albert Einstein