Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you travel to an "anonymous" state JUST to buy lottery tickets?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 10 years ago by hypersoniq.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you travel to an "anonymous" state JUST to play the lottery and remain anonymous if you win?

YES (regardless of the travel distance) [ 5 ]  [19.23%]
YES (ONLY if the state was within 1 hour from me) [ 6 ]  [23.08%]
YES (ONLY if the jackpot was extremely large.) [ 4 ]  [15.38%]
NO (It's not worth it due to the odds of winning.) [ 11 ]  [42.31%]
Total Valid Votes [ 26 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2007, 11:58 am - IP Logged

"Anonymous state" would include any state that allows lottery winners to remain anonymous (ND, KS, DE, LA, NH, SC, OH, MD).

If you don't live in a state that allows anonymity for lottery winners, is it worth traveling to a different state?  After all, no matter how dedicated a lottery player you may be (even if the "anonymous state" was only 1 hour drive away), you could only drive to an "out of town" location so many times to play a "game" with these kinds of odds.  The odds of powerball are 1/146,107,962.  It's even harder to beat the Mega Millions.  Even the smaller lotto games have odds that are extremely hard to beat!!!  For example, the odds AGAINST you winning the smaller lottery games are at least hundreds of thousands to one (such as wild card in ND) if not millions to one (such as classic lotto in OH)!!!   So what would you do?  Is it even worth the drive?  What are your thoughts on this??????

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
    nashville
    United States
    Member #49896
    February 18, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: April 23, 2007, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

"Anonymous state" would include any state that allows lottery winners to remain anonymous (ND, KS, DE, LA, NH, SC, OH, MD).

If you don't live in a state that allows anonymity for lottery winners, is it worth traveling to a different state?  After all, no matter how dedicated a lottery player you may be (even if the "anonymous state" was only 1 hour drive away), you could only drive to an "out of town" location so many times to play a "game" with these kinds of odds.  The odds of powerball are 1/146,107,962.  It's even harder to beat the Mega Millions.  Even the smaller lotto games have odds that are extremely hard to beat!!!  For example, the odds AGAINST you winning the smaller lottery games are at least hundreds of thousands to one (such as wild card in ND) if not millions to one (such as classic lotto in OH)!!!   So what would you do?  Is it even worth the drive?  What are your thoughts on this??????

i voted yes no matter the distance because when i first started playing the lottery i wanted to win and then go on the Oprah Winfrey show and give interviews to cnn and other media outlets but i guess im older and wiser now so i can only think of one person i would want to show off in front off so that is not worth the risk of exposing myself to so many negative people and criminals. i dont travel to an anonymous state right now but on vacations if i end up in one i always get a long term ticket...

starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
      kent, washington
      United States
      Member #3509
      January 26, 2004
      465 Posts
      Posted: April 23, 2007, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

i voted yes no matter the distance because when i first started playing the lottery i wanted to win and then go on the Oprah Winfrey show and give interviews to cnn and other media outlets but i guess im older and wiser now so i can only think of one person i would want to show off in front off so that is not worth the risk of exposing myself to so many negative people and criminals. i dont travel to an anonymous state right now but on vacations if i end up in one i always get a long term ticket...

i agree with you. i have played so long i don't know what it is not to be playing anymore. i don't travel as much as i use to travel but i try hard to get a ticket when i am out of town. i do travel to other states to get tickets. especially on vacation.  there are ways to claim it as a trust and be anonyomous.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1954 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2007, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I voted no. Not because of the odds though, but because I wouldn't care if people knew I was rich. I plan on owning my own business someday, whether or not I win the lottery. Winning the lottery might help me start it up sooner, but I think eventually I will have my own business. So FOR ME, the arguement that a lot of people will know I'm rich doesn't bother me. Not because I would go out and brag about it, but because people will know what I have done to become rich. Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Warren Buffet are all known to have a lot of money, but not because they go out bragging about it. People know because of what they do.

Gonna win.Big Smile

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: April 23, 2007, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

I voted for the choice "within one hour" but then changed my mind. I don't know if, at almost $3 a gallon, it would be worth the expense, considering the odds. I can't change my vote now, so I guess that's my "final answer." LOL  I understand what you mean about the importance of remaining anonymous, but I'd learn to deal with the problems associated with winning a lottery rather than travel very far.  If I moved quietly away from this neighborhood, nobody would really know me anyway. I know GA is not one of those states you mentioned, but let's say it was and I lived north of Jacksonville. (I don't)  Even if I got 28 to 30mpg, traveling an hour each way would cost about $12 to $15 for gas. 

So if I bought 10 to 15 extra Florida Lotto tickets instead, I'd be cutting my odds for the FL $15 million draw this Wed instead of traveling to play a game for $47 million.  I guess it depends on how badly someone wants to win a jackpot.

I know the question was about anonymity, not jackpot size, but it's still the same principle. That is, is it worth it to you to spend the money and the time to travel just to buy a ticket in a state that has rules (or a game/jackpot) you prefer rather than just play locally. 

Delaware
            United States
            Member #30273
            January 14, 2006
            494 Posts
            Posted: April 23, 2007, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

I voted yes because I live in such a state. LOL

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10353 Posts
              Posted: April 23, 2007, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

"Would you travel to an "anonymous" state JUST to buy lottery tickets?"

Only if I could do so anonynmously.

Wink

Justxploring once put up a hilarious post about a jackpot winner becoming famous after winning a court case for their right to remain anonymous.

I could just see a newspaper headline:

" _ _ _ _ _ _ man travels to _ _ _ _ _ _ to buy lottery tickets anonymously, hits jackpot, passes up press conference in _ _ _ _ _."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: April 23, 2007, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

"Would you travel to an "anonymous" state JUST to buy lottery tickets?"

Only if I could do so anonynmously.

Wink

Justxploring once put up a hilarious post about a jackpot winner becoming famous after winning a court case for their right to remain anonymous.

I could just see a newspaper headline:

" _ _ _ _ _ _ man travels to _ _ _ _ _ _ to buy lottery tickets anonymously, hits jackpot, passes up press conference in _ _ _ _ _."

I don't know why, but you just reminded me of this story about a really stupid bank holdup I read about a few years ago.  I saved the link because it really belongs in one of those collections like the Darwin awards. 

Speaking of remaining anonymous......

Bank Robber Writes Holdup Note on Resume

FORT WORTH, Texas - A bank robber made the ultimate bad career move when he wrote a holdup note — on the back of his resume.

Police used the job-search information to identify the man, who was arrested and charged with robbing a Wells Fargo bank branch on Fort Worth's east side.

The man had tried to hide the personal information by taping black construction paper over it. But then he forgot to retrieve the note and take it with him after giving it to the teller.

Police then just peeled the tape from the note.

A tip led police to a Fort Worth motel, where the man was arrested Saturday. He remained in federal custody on a bank robbery charge in the July 15 holdup.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  917 Posts
                  Posted: April 23, 2007, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

I voted no. Not because of the odds though, but because I wouldn't care if people knew I was rich. I plan on owning my own business someday, whether or not I win the lottery. Winning the lottery might help me start it up sooner, but I think eventually I will have my own business. So FOR ME, the arguement that a lot of people will know I'm rich doesn't bother me. Not because I would go out and brag about it, but because people will know what I have done to become rich. Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Warren Buffet are all known to have a lot of money, but not because they go out bragging about it. People know because of what they do.

I Agree! Word for word.  The problem as I see it is not whether people know your net worth; rather the problem happens to be the decisions people make when they have "money". 

Speaking of money, I am puzzled that people talk about the price of gas, but I don't see people saying anything about how much a similar gallon of bottled water costs (yes, bottled water costs more than a gallon of gasoline).  I think that the price of gas should actually be closer to $5 a gallon.  Now when it gets to $20 a gallon, then you could say that it is EXPENSIVE.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: April 23, 2007, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

First I would have to be sure that I had the winning numbers or making such a trip would be a waste of extra money that could be used toward winning a lower tier prize.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: April 23, 2007, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

OldSchoolPA writes...."Speaking of money, I am puzzled that people talk about the price of gas, but I don't see people saying anything about how much a similar gallon of bottled water costs"

Huh??  What?  There is a huge, huge difference OldSchoolPa.  You can always buy a good filtration system for your water which costs pennies a day to use.  You can't do that with a gallon of gasoline.  I only drink filtered water with reverse osmosis and I don't pay $2.91 a gallon for it.  The tap water where I live tastes horrible and smells funny, but I don't need to buy designer water either.

The difference here is choice.  I had to drive 60 miles today.  I had no choice.  So I spent over $6 on gasoline. There was no public transportation to where I had to go.  You don't need to buy fancy bottled water or iced tea.  You can also distill your water, although it's not really good to lose all of the minerals. (I add ionic minerals to my filtered water.) 

"(yes, bottled water costs more than a gallon of gasoline)"

Really?  Why not bring up those Frappucino drinks as long as you are talking about $3 bucks a gallon water?  That's really silly.  An ounce of perfume can cost over $100.  So what?  You don't need expensive perfume to smell nice.  I just read about a pizza that costs over $1,000.  What's your point?  Anyway, you can buy a gallon of spring water for 69 cents at the supermarket and that's even more than you need to spend if you don't drink your tap water.  It's like saying Starbucks is expensive.  Sure, it costs about $5 for a good cup of fancy coffee, but you don't need to spend that much.  You don't even need to drink coffee (I do!) but a vehicle is a necessity in most parts of the country, and the oil companies know that.

United States
                        Member #1826
                        July 11, 2003
                        2645 Posts
                        Posted: April 23, 2007, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Sure. Any excuse to play another state's lottery.

(insert signature here)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: April 24, 2007, 12:12 am - IP Logged

Good points, Justxploring. And let's not forget folks, that former hallmark of bottled water, Evian, spelled backwards, is....

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

cadmill12's avatar - praying hands.jpg
                            Brooklyn, NY
                            United States
                            Member #48262
                            December 18, 2006
                            36 Posts
                            Posted: April 24, 2007, 12:36 am - IP Logged

When  I travel and go to different  states I try and buy their lottery.  In January I went to Virginia and brought Mega million and won $3. When in Pennyslvania my boyfriend brought our dauhter birthday 212 50/50 and hit for $80.  I would try my luck in any state because you'll never know what will happen.  If the state is too far,  you can fill a claim form by mail.Party

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                              Member #567
                              August 14, 2002
                              484 Posts
                              Posted: April 24, 2007, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

It seems as if more people would rather play the lottery in their home state, regardless of whether or not the winner could remain anonymous.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!