Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Working a story about lottery winners - can anyone here speak with me?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by prayin4amiracle.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Storrs, CT
United States
Member #51764
April 23, 2007
3 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2007, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

Hi all,

I'm a journalism student at the University of Connecticut, and I'm currently wokring on a story about lottery winners, specifically on the challenges of managing a large financial windfall (such as a lotto jackpot). I've been browsing your forums this afternoon and I've found a number of threads discussing some of the same fundamental questions I'd like to tackle - money phobias, does money buy happiness, etc...

I would really like to speak with someone who has won a lottery jackpot themselves, however, I'm also interested in speaking with lottery players who have never struck it big. I'm most interested in talking to people nearby CT, but again, I would like the opportunity to interview pretty much any lottery players. I know there are a lot or people on the Post with perspectives/insight/experience that would be very helpful to my story.

Of course, I will be respectful of the privacy of anyone who might be interested in talking with me, and there is little personal information I need to include in the story.

Ideally, we could speak over the phone for perhaps 15-20 minutes, or we could correspond via email. Unfortunately, I am on a strict deadline, and I would have to speak by Wednesday.

So, can anyone on the Lottery Post help me out?     

Please PM  me or post within the thread, I believe it is against forum rules for me to post my email or phone numbers.

Thanks!

James White 

SirMetro's avatar - center
    East of Atlanta
    United States
    Member #6191
    August 11, 2004
    1389 Posts
    Posted: April 23, 2007, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

First, good luck in your venture and your budding career.

Second, if I may suggest, perhaps post 10 to 20 questions that you would like answered. I am sure a lot of folks just might be happy to chime in.

Sir Metro

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #50273
      March 3, 2007
      348 Posts
      Posted: April 23, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Second, if I may suggest, perhaps post 10 to 20 questions that you would like answered. I am sure a lot of folks just might be happy to chime in.

Sir Metro

I agree.  Also, I would participate over the phone if you want.  Send me PM with your phone number and i'll call you after 11:30 est (sorry, thats the earliest I can do).

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #50273
        March 3, 2007
        348 Posts
        Posted: April 23, 2007, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Sir Metro

I agree.  Also, I would participate over the phone if you want.  Send me PM with your phone number and i'll call you after 11:30 est (sorry, thats the earliest I can do).

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: April 23, 2007, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Unlesss you want a sad story....lllol

United States
            Member #24439
            October 22, 2005
            638 Posts
            Posted: April 23, 2007, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

How come he sounds exactly like the last guy who wants to do a story on lottery winners.

Maybe  he should search the forums and talk to that guy.

Something is up with these guys.

Storrs, CT
              United States
              Member #51764
              April 23, 2007
              3 Posts
              Posted: April 23, 2007, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the responses! 

It's usually easier to interview people one at a time, because I'll have different followup questions depending on where their initial answers might lead me.

I can, however, post a general range of questions:

-What does it feel like to come into a sudden, large amount of money? What emotions do you experience?

-Why is it fun to purchase lottery tickets, knowing how long the odds are?

-How would (or is!) your life be different after winning a large sum?

-What things besides money, or work in pursuit of it, give meaning to your life?

-Why is it difficult for normal, poor folk, to sympathize with lottery winners and the pressure of managing wealth?

That's a start list... I've got a lot more questions in mind but don't want to overwhelm anyone.

Also, I've definitely never posted here before, I just discovered the site this morning. I did a quick search for past threads on a similar topic, but didn't turn anything up. Would you mind linking me to the previous thread? 

Thanks! 

Storrs, CT
                United States
                Member #51764
                April 23, 2007
                3 Posts
                Posted: April 23, 2007, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

"Unlesss you want a sad story....lllol"

That might be useful too, the broader the range of experiences the better.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: April 23, 2007, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

What does it feel like to come into a sudden, large amount of money? What emotions do you experience?

Banana        Hurray!           Hyper         

-Why is it fun to purchase lottery tickets, knowing how long the odds are?

Crazy            Crazy            Crazy

-How would (or is!) your life be different after winning a large sum?

Cheers           Party          Cheers       

-What things besides money, or work in pursuit of it, give meaning to your life?

Blue Angel      Group Hug          Lovies        Sun Smiley        US Flag

-Why is it difficult for normal, poor folk, to sympathize with lottery winners and the pressure of managing wealth?

Puke        Smash            Bang Head              BS

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5145 Posts
                    Posted: April 24, 2007, 12:24 am - IP Logged

Sir Metro

There are many,...&....MOE>>>>>>

QUALITY posters on LP than any......HAVARD, YEAL, MID, GEORGIA

DECKS, &&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&........University of Knowlerge??????

students>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

kan interview................................on the LP HERE & NOW>>>>>> laughingtheir.................................HEADS-OFF w/UR........TACK????

IF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

U-R L@@K'g for FREE INFORMATION???????????????????????????

CONDUCT a POLL...........................like, CNN, ABC, CBS,.....& XYZZZ!

CAN U tell anyone something?????

about>>YOUR >selfishness????

No Pity!Hiding Behind ComputerWhite BounceCryingTurkeyBig Grin AngelWhite BounceParty

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5145 Posts
                      Posted: April 24, 2007, 12:39 am - IP Logged

There are many,...&....MOE>>>>>>

QUALITY posters on LP than any......HAVARD, YEAL, MID, GEORGIA

DECKS, &&&&&&&&&&&&&& &&........University of Knowlerge??????

students>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

kan interview................................on the LP HERE & NOW>>>>>> laughingtheir.................................HEADS-OFF w/UR........TACK????

IF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

U-R L@@K'g for FREE INFORMATION???????????????????????????

CONDUCT a POLL...........................like, CNN, ABC, CBS,.....& XYZZZ!

CAN U tell anyone something?????

about>>YOUR >selfishness????

No Pity!Hiding Behind ComputerWhite BounceCryingTurkeyBig Grin AngelWhite BounceParty

..............TEACH the....(YOUR BABIE'S)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          CHILDREN..................WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: April 24, 2007, 1:24 am - IP Logged

jameswhite

You asked, "-Why is it fun to purchase lottery tickets, knowing how long the odds are?"

Because it's the working slob's only real hope of ever making a score, getting out of the 'rat race'. It's been said the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Most people do the jobs they do solely for the paycheck. Very few get to be creative , they just do the same job every day, over and over  and over, by rote, ad nauseam. Even some people who are fortunate enough to be doing work they love find that they wish it paid more. So long odds or not, if something comes along to give them a glimmer of hope of breaking out of such a routine, sure they'll throw a buck at the chance. 

Unfortunately, some get way too carried away with the number of bucks they're willing to throw at it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                          Hard Luck, Ak
                          United States
                          Member #23472
                          October 13, 2005
                          279 Posts
                          Posted: April 24, 2007, 1:58 am - IP Logged

jameswhite

You asked, "-Why is it fun to purchase lottery tickets, knowing how long the odds are?"

Because it's the working slob's only real hope of ever making a score, getting out of the 'rat race'. It's been said the only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Most people do the jobs they do solely for the paycheck. Very few get to be creative , they just do the same job every day, over and over  and over, by rote, ad nauseam. Even some people who are fortunate enough to be doing work they love find that they wish it paid more. So long odds or not, if something comes along to give them a glimmer of hope of breaking out of such a routine, sure they'll throw a buck at the chance. 

Unfortunately, some get way too carried away with the number of bucks they're willing to throw at it.

Well put coin toss, some people live to work, Well I work to live. The only real thing that a jackpot buys you is time. Time to do the things that you always wanted to do but just could not afford to.  The majority of people who work really do not enjoy what they do. I think the key is to find something that you are passionate about and learn how to make a living do it. That right there is a win win situation. But people should also remember with great wealth comes great responsibility. Im sure Ol' Jack Whittaker learned that lesson the hard way!   

No Pity!

United States
                            Member #41656
                            June 20, 2006
                            24 Posts
                            Posted: April 24, 2007, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Crying..........I Can participate and give you a handful of "losing" tickets and the sad story of each and every single "losing" one of them? or would you like to know about the 5 number "hit" NYlotto ticket that yielded me a whole "big" $31.00.................... Crying