Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpots

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by lottolaughs.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Which do you think is better? After taxes.

Small Jackpot less than 5 Million [ 2 ]  [5.26%]
Large Jackpot more than 100 Million [ 12 ]  [31.58%]
Somewhere in between [ 2 ]  [5.26%]
I don't care, let me win! [ 21 ]  [55.26%]
unsure [ 1 ]  [2.63%]
Total Valid Votes [ 38 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: May 19, 2007, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

I would rather have a small jackpot like 5 million than a large one like $100 million.

1) It would help me control spending.

2) Less people asking for handouts.  Saying No is easier.

3) Live off the interest. ( Cds, moneymarket, saving account and government bonds) Avoid high risk investments

4) Buy a modest 2 bedroom condo. Go traveling a few times a year.

5) Not worry about my personal safety.

What do you guys think?

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
    nashville
    United States
    Member #49896
    February 18, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: May 19, 2007, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

i voted i dont care let me win because i just want the jackpot i dont care how many millions i will be happy with any millions...Dance

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #1340
      April 6, 2003
      2450 Posts
      Posted: May 19, 2007, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

I'd be happy with my $2 back for the ticket...

but I gues around $30million because that can go into a CDARS account and have FDIC insurance on the whole amount.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
        Member #50124
        February 26, 2007
        601 Posts
        Posted: May 19, 2007, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

I said I don't care, just let me win.

I don't think there would be fewer people asking for handouts with a smaller jackpot.  I remember a woman (probably on one of the daytime talk shows) who won less than a million and bought a nice home and car and invested a little for retirement.  Her sister was royally ticked because she thought the woman should have bought her a new house too.  They weren't speaking because of this.

So give me half a million, two million, 5M, 30M, 100M, 500M, 1 billion.  I think they'll all have the same effect on my life.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: May 19, 2007, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

I wish you had a choice for a billion or more. The more the merrier.

Heck, if your going to give me choice, why put a ceiling?...LOL You only live once! (Unless you're Hindu).

lacie's avatar - radar
            jacksonville, fl.
            United States
            Member #19655
            August 3, 2005
            133 Posts
            Posted: May 19, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I wish you had a choice for a billion or more. The more the merrier.

Heck, if your going to give me choice, why put a ceiling?...LOL You only live once! (Unless you're Hindu).

Pac, I'm like you the more the merrier, what I can't spend I'm sure if I asked my kids to give me a hand they could spend it real fast.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: May 19, 2007, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

Pac, I'm like you the more the merrier, what I can't spend I'm sure if I asked my kids to give me a hand they could spend it real fast.

Exactly!

It's like that old question about what to wish for if a genie granted you just one wish. Most people say 10 million or whatever.

There's only one thing I'd ask the genie.

I would ask the genie to give me the same power as it has. Then you could conjure up anything you desire over and over again forever...In that case ....who needs money?LOL

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                Member #50124
                February 26, 2007
                601 Posts
                Posted: May 19, 2007, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Exactly!

It's like that old question about what to wish for if a genie granted you just one wish. Most people say 10 million or whatever.

There's only one thing I'd ask the genie.

I would ask the genie to give me the same power as it has. Then you could conjure up anything you desire over and over again forever...In that case ....who needs money?LOL

Oh, I never thought of asking for genie powers!  Good one!

I've been thinking about this because I recently saw an old Twilight Zone episode where a guy found a genie and got 4 wishes.

Before you clued me in on what to ask for should I run into a genie, I'd have asked for 3 trillion dollars tax free, for my body to be 15 years younger and perfectly healthy, and to have a talent.  Possibly to be a screenwriter because they're respected, but aren't famous, and can work (or not) whenever they like.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1958 Posts
                  Posted: May 19, 2007, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

I picked 100 million or more because my goal someday is to be a billionaire.By winning a bigger jackpot I would have a much bigger head start.

Gonna win.Big Smile

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: May 19, 2007, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Lily, I know that episode, but I always think of the old classic story called the Monkey's Paw.  You can get what you wish for, but it might have terrible consequences.  In a movie I saw many years ago with the same name, a couple wished for money and they got it.  Their son was killed in an industrial accident and they got a large insurance check.  Spooky. 

Anyway, my answer was that I just want to win anything...even a free ticket.  However, like Pac wrote, the more the merrier.  I can always keep a million or 2 for myself and share the rest.  However, if I had a number to pick, it would probably be $30 million if I won the FL lottery.  It's a nice, even number. LOL   I'd take $1 million a year for the next 30 years (if I live that long.)

Regarding wishes, if I had one wish, I don't know if I'd use it for myself or pray that we have world peace and no more hunger & pain.  So I hope if I ever find a magic bottle, I get at least 3 wishes!

Smiley

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: May 19, 2007, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

I would rather have a small jackpot like 5 million than a large one like $100 million.

1) It would help me control spending.

2) Less people asking for handouts.  Saying No is easier.

3) Live off the interest. ( Cds, moneymarket, saving account and government bonds) Avoid high risk investments

4) Buy a modest 2 bedroom condo. Go traveling a few times a year.

5) Not worry about my personal safety.

What do you guys think?

I think you make no sense.  (You asked).

You can never have too much money:

1) If you can't control spending of, say, 100 mill, why would 5 mill be any different ?

2) No is no, regardless of the amount or who is asking.

3) The amount makes little difference, invest across the board.

4) That's no different if you won 5 mill or 100 mill, nobody is forcing you to do what you don't want to do.  see 1) above.

5) You can be murdered for $10.00 or for no reason at all, it happens every day. Come to think of it, I have never read about a lottery winner being kidnapped and held for ransom.  More people have been murdered standing in line at the local kwikie-mart waiting to buy lottery tickets when a holdup occurs than being killed because you won.  I guess I'm just not paranoid.

Personally, I would want to win all I could, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run out and spend it. It means I have money to help facilitate (do) things, help others out if I see fit, when I see fit, to the extent I want to.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #50273
                        March 3, 2007
                        348 Posts
                        Posted: May 20, 2007, 1:42 am - IP Logged

I voteda large JP over $100 million but look, I don't care, give me the $5 million after taxes from the $12 million Mega Millions JP and i'll be happy.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: May 20, 2007, 7:15 am - IP Logged

winning more means more money to give to children... (Schools, hospitals, etc...not just my children)

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Sunny California
                            United States
                            Member #40295
                            May 31, 2006
                            7713 Posts
                            Posted: May 20, 2007, 9:57 am - IP Logged

A Million Dollar Gift ! Send this fun B'day message to your friend/ family/ loved one.      Never mind jackpots,at this point I'd settle for my first Pick 3 straight! No more boxers need apply!