Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

would it irritate you if....(multiple jackpot winners on one jackpot)

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 10 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2007, 1:23 am - IP Logged

would it irritate you if you checked your powerball or mega millions numbers and found out you won BUT the jackpot was still low in the 30 or 40 million range and the numbers were low numbers so there were like 35 jackpot winners so that huge payday you were looking for at first ends up being dwindled by multiple winners.then the taxman takes a chunk out and your looking at having won 400 or 500 thousand dollars.would this bring you down or would you still be very excited.explain!!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31337 Posts
    Posted: May 24, 2007, 1:28 am - IP Logged

would it irritate you if you checked your powerball or mega millions numbers and found out you won BUT the jackpot was still low in the 30 or 40 million range and the numbers were low numbers so there were like 35 jackpot winners so that huge payday you were looking for at first ends up being dwindled by multiple winners.then the taxman takes a chunk out and your looking at having won 400 or 500 thousand dollars.would this bring you down or would you still be very excited.explain!!

I get excited when I win $40.00

Hyper

love to nibble those micey feet.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: May 24, 2007, 1:33 am - IP Logged

me too emily!  i would be happy if i won period.some people would get flustered if they found out they were ONLY getting a half million for getting a powerball or mega jackpot.i would be very excited and satisfied....

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #50273
        March 3, 2007
        348 Posts
        Posted: May 24, 2007, 3:04 am - IP Logged

I won't lie, I wouldbe upset.  I want enough to retire on plain  and  simple.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: May 24, 2007, 4:09 am - IP Logged

It's hard to answer this question.  I bought my 4 regular Lotto tickets and 1 Fantasy 5 ticket (a QP) tonight with a $5 win. It's 4AM and I just checked my numbers for Wed and would have been pleased to see another 3 out of 6 so I won't have to spend money again on Saturday.  On the other hand, winning an amount like $100,000 would really be fantastic, and a million would change my life.  So would I be upset if I had to split a jackpot with a lot of people?  Both yes & no.  I'd be grateful and excited if I walked away with the amount you mentioned above ($500,000 is a heck of a lot of money!) but after all these years, I'd really want to win enough to retire comfortably.  Again, if I could net $500,000 I would never complain.  I'd be able to pay off all my debts and own a home mortgage free. 

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: May 24, 2007, 8:46 am - IP Logged

It would be bittersweet.

I would like enough to change my life forever and $500K, while a good amount to work with, will not enable me to do what I want to- retire to a beach house...

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:37 am - IP Logged

Oh it is the challenge of getting 5/5.... it is the challenge..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                Member #28409
                December 15, 2005
                1198 Posts
                Posted: May 24, 2007, 9:45 am - IP Logged

why would you even entertain this thought? Please, don't even think of it... after all, you know what thoughts do. AKA, the secret., lol, so shush!!!! I don't want this to happen at all.

I mean, how would you log that into your tracking system?

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10344 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I think the only honest answer is of course it would irritate you.

The one time you pick six correct numbers and so do several other people would be more than irritating.

"Hey, didn't you win the lotto?"

"Yeah, but 15 other people had the same number, and after taxes...."

Remember the scene in Bruce Almighty whne he answered everyone's prayer to hit the lottery?

Like Justxploring said, it'd still be nice picking up six figures- but seven or eight is so much nicer!

I think the "moral of the story" here is don't play all low numbers.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Sunny California
                    United States
                    Member #40295
                    May 31, 2006
                    7712 Posts
                    Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:18 am - IP Logged

I would be happy to win anything. Everything happens for a reason,I believe. If you "only" won 400 or 500 thousand instead of millions maybe something's telling you that you don't need all of that,or you couldn't handle it. Be thankful for whatever you get in this life,it's all an extra bonus. Life itself is our real prize.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:54 am - IP Logged

I would be happy to have won...  5/5 is the challenge.. That is what I play for...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                        Member #50124
                        February 26, 2007
                        601 Posts
                        Posted: May 24, 2007, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Yeah, it would annoy me. I'd be prepared for 1 or 2 other winners to  split with, but 35?  Has that ever even come close to happening?

What would really annoy me is if the multiplier was 5 and peeps who matched only the first 5 balls were winning a million, and me who matched 5 plus the powerball only got $500K. 

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: May 24, 2007, 11:29 am - IP Logged

It would be bittersweet.

I would like enough to change my life forever and $500K, while a good amount to work with, will not enable me to do what I want to- retire to a beach house...

I Agree!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19816 Posts
                            Posted: May 24, 2007, 11:55 am - IP Logged

If I'm not irritated when I'm one of multiple losers, why would I be irritated to be one of a few winners?  I don't see sharing a lottery jackpot as something to be upset about.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

lacie's avatar - radar
                              jacksonville, fl.
                              United States
                              Member #19655
                              August 3, 2005
                              133 Posts
                              Posted: May 24, 2007, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't be real happy, but I would'nt be giving the ticket away either.