Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 11:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Next "Huge" jackpot??

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 10 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #26330
November 16, 2005
330 Posts
Posted: May 31, 2007, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

When do you think the next huge jackpot will be?  Will it be a Powerball or MegaMillions jackpot? What will be the amount of this large jackpot? 

My opinions are as follows:  1.  Sometime in Late August or early September.  2. Powerball  3. $415 million.    I don't think with the rollover caps that Powerball will be able to get anywhere over $415 million.

What do you think?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23275 Posts
    Posted: May 31, 2007, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1954 Posts
      Posted: June 1, 2007, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

When do you think the next huge jackpot will be?  Will it be a Powerball or MegaMillions jackpot? What will be the amount of this large jackpot? 

My opinions are as follows:  1.  Sometime in Late August or early September.  2. Powerball  3. $415 million.    I don't think with the rollover caps that Powerball will be able to get anywhere over $415 million.

What do you think?

The jackpot record is still reachable by PowerBall. In order for the PowerBall to be capped, it must be up to AT LEAST $365M, but if it comes just short of that, for example $360M, it would probably make a new record jackpot if it rolls over. Never count out PowerBall.Cool

Gonna win.Big Smile

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3055 Posts
        Posted: June 1, 2007, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

$365 million annuity is the last record capped Powerball jackpot.  So the next time Powerball goes on a record run the cap will not go into effect until it reaches $390 million annuity.  If that jackpot rolls then the next drawing will only go to $415 million annuity with the rest going to the match 5 bonus prize pool.  If the jackpot is hit at $390 million annuity though the next record run would not be capped until $415 million annuity.-weshar75

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1954 Posts
          Posted: June 1, 2007, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

$365 million annuity is the last record capped Powerball jackpot.  So the next time Powerball goes on a record run the cap will not go into effect until it reaches $390 million annuity.  If that jackpot rolls then the next drawing will only go to $415 million annuity with the rest going to the match 5 bonus prize pool.  If the jackpot is hit at $390 million annuity though the next record run would not be capped until $415 million annuity.-weshar75

That's incorrect. The caps are based off the current PowerBall jackpot. It doesn't matter what the Mega Millions record is.

Gonna win.Big Smile

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3055 Posts
            Posted: June 2, 2007, 7:31 am - IP Logged

This is the correct information from what I read off of the Powerball website.  The current Powerball record is $365 million annuity set in 2006.  Therefore you can only increase the next record run by an increment of $25 million annuity as stated in the match 5 bonus prize pool rules.  So the next jackpot would be $390 million annuity and if that jackpot is not won it will only increase to $415 million annuity.  The rest would go into a match 5 bonus prize pool to be distributed to the 5+0 winners when the 5+1 or jackpot is won.  Now if their is a $390 million annuity jackpot winner then the next record run would be capped at $415 million annuity.  Now this is my second post on this subject and I have not mentioned anything about the Mega Millions record jackpot.  But the current record for Mega Millions set early this year stands at $370 million annuity.  That information was taken from Lottery Post's jackpot history files.-weshar75

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
              Member #28409
              December 15, 2005
              1198 Posts
              Posted: June 4, 2007, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

I am not expecting epic amounts in powerball unitl next year around august. Although, January jackpot for Mega Millions could be impressive.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3475 Posts
                Posted: June 5, 2007, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

That's incorrect. The caps are based off the current PowerBall jackpot. It doesn't matter what the Mega Millions record is.

He didn't say a word about megamillions, and he did a perfectly good job of explaining the PB rules, but he did fail to consider one possibility. If sales push the advertised annuity past 365 million, subsequent increases in the annutiy value will be limited to a maximum of $25 million, but the first rollover that passes 365 could fall short of 390. As an example, if we get a PB jackpot of 300 million, sales for the next drawing might only push it to $375 million. If that happens and there is no winner then next roll would be limited to $25 million and would then be an even $400 million. If that were to happen I'm confident that the PB people will raise a big stink about a new record, but  PB will have to reach about $460 million to pay out a bigger jackpot than mega millions.