Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

can someone please tell me how to run a lottery pool?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #52726
June 5, 2007
1 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2007, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

There are 5 of us, at work, not sure how to do it at all:( we are in michigan, we'll put in $10 each every 2 weeks, and want a drawing with the best chances of winning even if it is not large amounts, any response is appreciated, thanks!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31537 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2007, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

There are 5 of us, at work, not sure how to do it at all:( we are in michigan, we'll put in $10 each every 2 weeks, and want a drawing with the best chances of winning even if it is not large amounts, any response is appreciated, thanks!

Think we have posts on that.  Do a search.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2007, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

I'm thinking you already layed it out, and don't even realize it.

There's 5 of you, each betting 10 bucks, equaling 50 bucks every two weeks. Wait till the JP gets into a relatively large amount before betting.

If you win, you divide the winnings amongst each other equally.

Jester

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2007, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

Start out with a P-5 game. The odds are better, and even after the meager split 5 ways, it's still a nice little bonus.

To win the big ones, you'd need to recruit about a hundred and ninety five more people, all praying simultaneously, holding rosaries...LOL

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5143 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2007, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Start out with a P-5 game. The odds are better, and even after the meager split 5 ways, it's still a nice little bonus.

To win the big ones, you'd need to recruit about a hundred and ninety five more people, all praying simultaneously, holding rosaries...LOL

See>>>>Say>>>>just.....SAW@@

YOU need a BOARD of DIRECTORsssssssssssssssssssssstuuuuu

Please place>>>>>>>pacattack05 & psykomo on the boaderline

WEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee will breng u mucho monie>>>>>>>>>>

and it will be our treasure to searve on your BOARD>>>>See!!!!

Insert clause...........please??????????????????????????????????

pacattack05 & psykomo shall share >>>>EQUAL>>>>>>>50 %

of all jackpot winning's.....due because, of their........,,,,,....GREAT 

"consultation advice"......jackpot$

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3316 Posts
            Posted: June 6, 2007, 8:30 am - IP Logged

u have to ask  questions like

" what if someone doesnt pay up one week, do we cover them, or is the person who doesnt cough up out and the people who pay for their coverage  in for extra shares? "

what if some one keeps being on again off again etc.

how about if someone goes on holiday? 

if u have a stock standard disclaimer, aND  everyone involved signs it, stateing that not paying up is condition for not being included. u can copy these and get em signed every week.

always keep the old ones of no wins, and when pepole start dropping out or not paying up, u will haVE RECORDS OF THEIR AGREEMENT OT PREVIOUS AGREED TERMS AND THEW SIGNATURES  of the people who did pay up.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

china
              United States
              Member #50326
              March 3, 2007
              33 Posts
              Posted: June 6, 2007, 10:06 am - IP Logged

u have to ask  questions like

" what if someone doesnt pay up one week, do we cover them, or is the person who doesnt cough up out and the people who pay for their coverage  in for extra shares? "

what if some one keeps being on again off again etc.

how about if someone goes on holiday? 

if u have a stock standard disclaimer, aND  everyone involved signs it, stateing that not paying up is condition for not being included. u can copy these and get em signed every week.

always keep the old ones of no wins, and when pepole start dropping out or not paying up, u will haVE RECORDS OF THEIR AGREEMENT OT PREVIOUS AGREED TERMS AND THEW SIGNATURES  of the people who did pay up.

great  response!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                A long and winding road
                United States
                Member #17084
                June 10, 2005
                4575 Posts
                Posted: June 6, 2007, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

1: List pool members names

2: Create a *BLOCK* of ticket plays. Indicate which dates these are: Ours does a five week block, payable upfront. So at 2$ a play , a single player pays $20 upfront for that time period.

3: Clearly indicate cut off time and date for open players.

4: If its a closed group and someone opts to not be in that BLOCK of plays, have them sign a waiver to participate and have it witnessed. Filing the original

5: Create a designated buyer and an alternate.

6: All tickets are to be copied and distributed to the participants by a certain time/date

7: Create a privacy clause for any wins.

8: Agree in advance for cash option or annuity.

9: Agree in advance to write down all the rules or regulations necessary for the group.

10: In the event of a large win, agree how its being split or if its being banked.

11: Clearly indicate that the back NOT be signed til all members are together and in agreement for how they are claiming the big win. In trust? As a group? Anonymously. This is important for wins that require tax reporting.

12: I recommend a Closed LOttery pool with only a 6 or lessplayers. If one drops out it can be opened to a new player, who would be enrolled for that Block of plays.

13: As weird as this may sound, deter a player who may owe back federal taxes or back child support, as these are the first things they will *withhold* from the groups winnings. Or if they have liens or judgements. Seems silly but why should a group suffer for the individuals lack of being responsible.

14: Relax and let Lady luck be with the group!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Westerose
                  Canada
                  Member #52915
                  June 15, 2007
                  189 Posts
                  Posted: June 15, 2007, 3:28 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't be involved in a lottery pool. but if you are make sure that your written agreement states that splitting only applies to tickets purchased as a part of the pool. That tickets purchased individaully or my members spouses are not a part of this pool.  There have been a few cases where monies were tied up by lawyers and such because an individual in a lottery pool won with a ticket purchased outside of the pool and the other members thought they were entitled to those winnings as well.

IE if you play to lottery watch what promises you make about the lottery before you win it.

people that you promised to split on ticket with 10 or 20 years ago when you were in college and working with them at McDonalds over the summer will hunt you down and demand half even though they haven't seen you since.

Personally I hate to see Lottery Pools win... I rather see an individual win a large sum than a lottery pool... 

Even if it's not me I love to see individuals win and live the lottery dream.  Not the charity obcessed nutcases like Jack and David. But ones who get a bunch of money and use it to make more money and live out their dreams....  like the guy who took home 87million after taxes and is trying to turn it into a Billion. That's cool....

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3112 Posts
                    Posted: June 16, 2007, 12:33 am - IP Logged

There are two lottery softwares for running a lotto pool, they may contain advice and forms that would be useful to you.  Check your game's website some like New York have information or expect pools to register in advance of playing or you have problems when you win.

http://www.darwiniansoftware.com/
                    http://www.tidalcanada.com/lpm

Your best chance would be quick picks unless you have some method of predicting the numbers within a larger field in which case you could use a wheel.  If you don't have such a method I haven't found anything to date that will do it for you.  Still looking though.

BobP

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3502 Posts
                      Posted: June 16, 2007, 12:48 am - IP Logged

"Your best chance would be quick picks"

Quick picks offer exactly the same chance as any other combination, but you have no chance to steer clear of types of combinations you'd rather not play.

My feeling is that pools should select their own numbers and the rules should spell out what numbers will be played.  When the rules include the combinations that are intended to be played there's no chance that somebody can then claim the winning ticket was purchased as their own rather than for the group. Of course the rules should specify a couple of locations where pool tickets will be bought and should prohibit members from buying personal tickets at those locations.

There's no way to completely prevent people from claiming that they are entitled to a share, or that  a particular ticket is or isn'ta pool ticket, but good rules can reduce the chances of a problem, or at least increase your chances of prevailing in a dispute.

Baton Rouge, LA
                        United States
                        Member #4602
                        May 7, 2004
                        700 Posts
                        Posted: June 16, 2007, 11:30 am - IP Logged

I am running a lottery pool in my office and I can tell how I do it.  We are paid every 2 weeks, so I collect the money every payday Friday.  There are 7 members in my pool and we each put up $4 because there are 4 drawings between paydays.  I buy a mix of multidraw Powerball and Louisiana Lotto tickets with some being quickpicks and some being numbers we selected.  I buy for 4 draws in advance so I don't have to keep going back to the store for tickets  and I give a photocopy of the tickets to all the members.  Most people only buy single draw tickets, which reduces the chance of someone claiming a non-pool ticket is actually a pool ticket.

We plan to split all winnings evenly if we win a jackpot.  One thing we haven't agreed on though is how to claim it, if we should claim anonymously through a trust or LLC, or do the press conference/ceremony thing.  One thing I've recommended, although I don't know if anyone will actually do it, is if we win enough so we won't ever have to work again,  claim it anonymously, then keep working until the excitement dies down.  Then we quit one by one, spacing our quits a few months or so apart.  The main reason is to keep down suspicion and keep away the moochers.  There are 3 members of the pool who are close to or already eligible to retire, so they can leave first, while the rest of us just file out one at a time.

As for buying personal tickets, I know of at least one member who buys her own, and I buy my own too.  I buy mine on different days at different places, plus I buy single draw tickets, which elminates the confusion.  Hopefully we won't have problems if we hit the big one.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"