Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Taking a Break from the Lottery

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coastal Georgia
United States
Member #2653
October 30, 2003
1866 Posts
Posted: June 6, 2007, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

What about it- When you are on a losing streak do you take a break for a bit or do you buckle down and play more ?

Personally, I take a little respite and find I'm fresher, feel like I'm "luckier" and generally win more, but this may not be your strategy.

Thoughts ?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: June 6, 2007, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

i took a break when i won in mid february until this first week in june.

Coastal Georgia
      United States
      Member #2653
      October 30, 2003
      1866 Posts
      Posted: June 6, 2007, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

Wow, that's a long layoff Mike- How did you handle it ?

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: June 6, 2007, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

We all know what happens when you stop playing right?...LOL

I can attest to it....On a many occasion.....I meant on a mini vacation....not really...but it sounded good...LOL

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
          Gurnee, Illinois
          United States
          Member #49731
          February 12, 2007
          917 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2007, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I believe the MAJORITY  of people who play the lottery would classify themselves as "lottery losers" or in a loonnnnggg non-winning slump.  I always note those winners who care to share how they won who say they either didn't play regularly and decided to just buy a ticket (usually a QP) while at the C-store or those who say that had just decided to replay an own pick combo again and it hit that draw.  The conclusion I draw from this is you just never know when you might have purchased the winning ticket...but you cannot win if you do not purchase a ticket.  So I never take a break as long as I have $$$ to buy lottery tickets.  I would say that I am now more so in the QP camp than I actually was when I first joined LP...I find it more refreshing playing QPs than own picks because with own picks you pretty much know by the third number drawn whether you have won some money or are just holding a worthless piece of paper (that is if you don't participate in any available 2nd chance drawings).  But with QPs, you actually have to check all the numbers and I find that exciting...even when I don't win.  But I can tell you that when my winning day comes, everyone in lottery land will be waiting for some time (could be as much as a month) with baited breath wondering just who is the lucky sap who just won $$$ _____ millions of dollars and whether that lucky sap is going to take the cash value and run or take the annuity and share whatever story he/she cares to share as I am about to become a cross country trotting truck driver.  I guess I'll either check my tickets when I pass back through that state or I'll just wait until I get back home to check all my tickets.  Eventually I will get myself a mobile device that I can access the internet wirelessly and check tickets that way (yeah, I can handle technology but I often wait until prices for hardware/software/service come down before plunging in...learned that lesson with my first computer purchase nearly two decades ago when I bought a $2,500 apple computer that today could only be used for word processing...now had I invested that $2,500 and achieved at least 12 percent ROR over the past 16 years, I would have nearly $17,000 with which I could definitely buy the latest high powered computer system, a flat screen TV, an iPod, and still have a little over $10,000 left over (sure I would have had to pay taxes on any capital gains/dividends received over that time, but my experience is that I always paid taxes out of my current earnings, never from my investments).  I guess you also know what my focus would be WHEN I actually win any lottery jackpot...yeah, investments...that I know about...not investments I could do just because I have the level of money to do...that is until I have thoroughly done my research and am ready to do so.  Well I have rambled enough...here's hoping my next line of mult-play QPs are just the numbers that roll...all at the same time!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
            FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: June 6, 2007, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

I think backing off now and then is helpful for creativity.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: June 6, 2007, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Wow, that's a long layoff Mike- How did you handle it ?

discipline myself to know when to go for it and know when my money needs to last.i knew that the after one of the 4 pick four numbers i was playing hit that it would be awhile on average before another hit so i took the break.to be honest it was also another factor.my online lottery cashier started having trouble with the bank or vice versa and i was being rejected everytime i did a checkout.i think it was either the bank with my checking or click2pay so i took a break.i'm fixing to try and get a credit card and see if that method is accepted then i'll be back online with my numbers...

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                nashville
                United States
                Member #49896
                February 18, 2007
                1181 Posts
                Posted: June 6, 2007, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

i play less money when im on  a losing streak but i dont ever take a break unless im completely broke...

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: June 6, 2007, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

i play less money when im on  a losing streak but i dont ever take a break unless im completely broke...

I agree with the first half of the sentence.  LOL  (I mean, I still play when I'm broke!) 

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                    Mcminnville, Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #3013
                    December 13, 2003
                    3044 Posts
                    Posted: June 6, 2007, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I do take breaks from the lottery every month because of the amount that I have to play the lottery does not last the whole month.-weshar75

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: June 6, 2007, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

ha ha...Jester Laugh

Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #40295
                        May 31, 2006
                        7712 Posts
                        Posted: June 6, 2007, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

Oh,for sure! You have to take a break now and then. As a matter of fact,I am right now.

Well,not completely I guess because I'm still checking in at the Post here! But from playing,yes.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10344 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2007, 12:32 am - IP Logged

I don't play enough $$-wise  to have to take breaks but sometimes I do wonder why I bother with Mega Millions, Powerball and the regular state lotto Pick 6.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.