Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ticket Redemption Question

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by jarasan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Plainfield, IL
United States
Member #20047
August 10, 2005
10 Posts
Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

First off I want to say hi to everyone here, I have been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

I have a question about ticket redemption.  Whenever I hand a winning ticket to a cashier to be redeemed he always tears it into tiny pieces after he scans it and gives me my winnings.  Why would he do this, is it possible for someone else to take a winning ticket that has been cashed and redeem it again?  I have seen them all do this, so it got me thinking about why this is done.  I figure someone here will know.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

Atleast here in  Florida, the person is to take the ticket and staple it to the slip that comes out of the green machine after a confirmed win.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5583 Posts
      Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

First off I want to say hi to everyone here, I have been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

I have a question about ticket redemption.  Whenever I hand a winning ticket to a cashier to be redeemed he always tears it into tiny pieces after he scans it and gives me my winnings.  Why would he do this, is it possible for someone else to take a winning ticket that has been cashed and redeem it again?  I have seen them all do this, so it got me thinking about why this is done.  I figure someone here will know.

Welcome to LP! You've delurked! Congratulations. 

Make sure you know what you should be paid and the ticket is done once it is paid ask them for the receipt or not to tear it, all lottery machines around here can print a receipt.  If you know what you should get there is no problem printing an audit trail.  Some clerks do and others don't tear tix. I think sometimes when they have to pay the winner some money it gives them a little feeling of power over you to tear the ticket, don't let it bug you. jarasan

Plainfield, IL
        United States
        Member #20047
        August 10, 2005
        10 Posts
        Posted: June 9, 2007, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the welcome!  It does not really bug me, I was just wondering if the same ticket can be cashed twice and tearing them was a security measure.  That is the only explaination I can come up with.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19819 Posts
          Posted: June 9, 2007, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

It all depends on the clerk's training here in Ohio.  I been in stores where the clerk staples the payout receipt to the winning tickets and put it in a box for an audit later and others have given me the ticket with "PAID" stamped on it while others just paid me and asked if I wanted my tickets for taxes and if not they threw it away.  It must depend on how they track the money at different stores.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
            Clarksville
            United States
            Member #487
            July 15, 2002
            17638 Posts
            Posted: June 9, 2007, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

No, it can't be cashed twice.  It is cashed using the ticket's barcode so one barcode to a ticket.  Tearing them up lets the clerk know that the ticket has been cashed.  Some places will keep and staple all winners 50.00 and over.  The little ones (less than 50) can be torn up as a sort of security measure or better yet to keep some rip off artists from trying to cash it in twice.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

delores247's avatar - Lottery-048.jpg

United States
              Member #19043
              July 24, 2005
              7378 Posts
              Posted: June 9, 2007, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to LP,In Texas when i cashed a 500 dollar ticket the cashier gave it back to me to keep because after scanning the ticket it can't be cashed but once,a record is kept of this payout and the ticket will void,this is what the clerk explain to me,,,,Delores247

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: June 9, 2007, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

No, it can't be cashed twice.  It is cashed using the ticket's barcode so one barcode to a ticket.  Tearing them up lets the clerk know that the ticket has been cashed.  Some places will keep and staple all winners 50.00 and over.  The little ones (less than 50) can be torn up as a sort of security measure or better yet to keep some rip off artists from trying to cash it in twice.

I Agree!