Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

does anyone save their losing tickets in a shoebox

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 10 years ago by DoubleDown.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
new york
United States
Member #52737
June 6, 2007
12 Posts
Posted: June 10, 2007, 12:21 am - IP Logged

50 -60 tickets a week adds up to alot of little pieces of paper that become garbage i save my losing tickets in a shoebox and recycle them every six months.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: June 10, 2007, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Yes - for a year.  No, I don't have 50 or 60 tickets a week, but I do save them in a shoebox. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10392 Posts
      Posted: June 10, 2007, 12:41 am - IP Logged

Yup, one year here, also- ever since I read that losing tickets by themself aren't enough proof for taxes if you get lucky enought to have winnings that you want to write off losings on. (I read it here, I think RJOh posted it).

So it's a shoebox for the tickets and a journal for how much was spent on them day by day.  

Then if that's not the case and nothing hits the on the Dec 31st tickets, I shred them all and think, "What a pizza party or trip to thre bookstore that could have been".

I don't have anything close to 50 or 60 tickets a week, either, if I have 10 it's a lot.  I've even had times where I played the pick 5 for 5 drawings at a time just so as not too have as many tickets.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Ms. Pat's avatar - Lottery-032.jpg
        Fayetteville, Georgia
        United States
        Member #3593
        February 2, 2004
        2285 Posts
        Posted: June 10, 2007, 12:53 am - IP Logged

yep in case I ever win big for tax purposes

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          51284 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2007, 9:56 am - IP Logged

50 -60 tickets a week adds up to alot of little pieces of paper that become garbage i save my losing tickets in a shoebox and recycle them every six months.

Sounds like a job for a 32-gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck Trash Can.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

EAST COAST, USA
            United States
            Member #49428
            January 31, 2007
            553 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2007, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Yes - for a year.  No, I don't have 50 or 60 tickets a week, but I do save them in a shoebox. 

Absolutely! For the tax period involved.  If I have a win during the year then I can offset some of the income by the losing tickets as an itemized deduction.  If I have no significant winnings by the year end then I throw them away.  The tickets are only good for the year in which you have a win to offset the losses.

JAP69's avatar - alas
              South Carolina
              United States
              Member #6
              November 4, 2001
              8797 Posts
              Posted: June 10, 2007, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I stack my losers on my desk.
              When and if I get a hit I pull out the tickets that equal the dollar amount I won.
              When the stack starts getting high like right now I knuckle down to find a hit.

I have about a 1 inch high stack now with various dollar amounts on each ticket.

If I total the dollar amount of losers now I might Puke

Oo'Ka

babyneeds$'s avatar - spider miss.png
                GA
                United States
                Member #52110
                May 10, 2007
                165 Posts
                Posted: June 10, 2007, 10:34 am - IP Logged

In Georgia and Michigan the "lottery funds go to education.  If I don't win, how come I can't just write off my donations as charitable contributions?  This is my 1st year playing, so I'm saving mine in a old suitcase, just in case the "Tax Man"  says I can write them off in this manner. 

I'm gonna hit big!  So, I guess I better save as many as I can find! LOL

WHATEVER baby wants, baby gets!

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: June 10, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

babyneeds$

" If I don't win, how come I can't just write off my donations as charitable contributions? "

Because those tickets had the potential of winning they're not a direct 'donation'.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: June 10, 2007, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Babyneeds$ - I like your way of thinking!!  I wish it were true, but Coin Toss is correct IMHO. Nobody will let you write-off a lottery ticket as a donation to charity.

Regarding keeping a ledger, Coin Toss, I've read that's important to do. The IRS knows that it's easy to gather a bunch of scratch-offs out of the trash.  However, like Jarasan wrote on another subject, less than 2% of returns are actually audited.  It's just that once you raise that red flag, you will be branded, so it might be best to have some proof other than a box of tickets.  On the other hand, I believe my tickets would be proof enough since they're mostly online games (not instant tickets) I buy locally at the same 3 or 4 stores every week.  I would challenge the IRS if they didn't accept them, and I doubt if they'd want to watch all those videos from the store security cameras. 

Brazil
                      Member #51781
                      April 24, 2007
                      384 Posts
                      Posted: June 10, 2007, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

A person could make artesanal works with lottery tickets and clue ...

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: June 10, 2007, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

justxploring

Far better to keep a journal if you wind up needing one than to wish you had kept one.

In tax matters our legal system kind of reverses - the burden of proof falls on the accused - if the IRS says they don;t think you played all those tickets, you don't have a journal of daily play, it's up to you to produce one or somehow prove they were indeed all your tickets.  

Lep

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: June 10, 2007, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

I donate all my losing tix to the nice gentlemen who take away my garbage.

It's a dirty job, but some one's gotta do it...

freeport bahamas
                            Bahamas
                            Member #46427
                            September 10, 2006
                            63 Posts
                            Posted: June 11, 2007, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

did that one time, and let me tell you,, dont ever add them up,, i was  saving them in a bedroom drawer for about  three years,,,then one day i said its storming out side,, let me add these up to see what iv spent,, so i grabbed a handfull and started adding away,,,,,,do you know what a  $70:00  doller a time habit does to you and at twice a day,, sometimes three times a day,, i got up to $40,320,00,  after that i stopped adding, my whole afternoon was thrown out of wack'' but im too deep in the hole to stop now,, i figure with $10. bucks on a play four  or $15 on a good day then i will quit,, i would keep working for the man ,, but i will keep my percentage to go with what i have then,, but dont ever add  them up,, throw them out first,,,,,trust me  Cool

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: June 11, 2007, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

I donate all my losing tix to the nice gentlemen who take away my garbage.

It's a dirty job, but some one's gotta do it...

Just joking....LOL

What I really do is mail the losing tix back to the Lottery Office, and they promptly give a refund for them.

It's a win win situation....!