Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MAJOR Shake-Up In The Scratch Ticket Industry

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #1826
July 11, 2003
2645 Posts
Posted: June 10, 2007, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Scientific Games, far and away the world's larget ticket manufactuer, has purchased up-and-coming Canadian manfuacturer Oberthur Gaming Technologies.

Virtually every lottery is at least a secondary client of one of these companies. And a number of states could see the look and feel of their scratch tickets change, perhaps dramatically. It all depends on which plants stay open, the latex formulas they choose to continue using, and the people who stay on board after the deal closes.

This leaves Pollard Banknote of Winnipeg and Creative Games of Plant City, FL (my hometown) as Scientific Games' only competitors, ones much smaller than Oberthur at that.

And of course no one will read this because I have to put it in the scratch forum, a forum nobody ever goes to. 

(insert signature here)

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31358 Posts
    Posted: June 10, 2007, 1:55 am - IP Logged

Scientific Games, far and away the world's larget ticket manufactuer, has purchased up-and-coming Canadian manfuacturer Oberthur Gaming Technologies.

Virtually every lottery is at least a secondary client of one of these companies. And a number of states could see the look and feel of their scratch tickets change, perhaps dramatically. It all depends on which plants stay open, the latex formulas they choose to continue using, and the people who stay on board after the deal closes.

This leaves Pollard Banknote of Winnipeg and Creative Games of Plant City, FL (my hometown) as Scientific Games' only competitors, ones much smaller than Oberthur at that.

And of course no one will read this because I have to put it in the scratch forum, a forum nobody ever goes to. 

I read it.  Shows up on latest posts.  Wink

love to nibble those micey feet.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: June 10, 2007, 7:55 am - IP Logged

Well I read it too. While interesting, what is the significance to the player?  If a state orders a game to be produced, the overall odds of a winning scratchoff are 1 in 4.8 (for example) what difference does it make if they use one kind of latex or another? THe number of winning tickets/odds of getting one are going to still be whatever the particular state dictatees them to be when the state orders the tickets to be run off the presses.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49784 Posts
        Posted: June 10, 2007, 8:38 am - IP Logged

This information sounds like it would make for an Interesting News Story: Did you submit it to Todd for consideration as a News Story?

FYI: "Active Topics" shows "All Forums" based on "Selected Length of Time"!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20117 Posts
          Posted: June 10, 2007, 8:47 am - IP Logged

I've read this. It really does'nt have any effect on the industry as of yet and doubt if it will. The overall odds are set by the various states, therefor the only thing they have to do is be creative in their work. Someone or some company will eventually be more creative than scientific games and do the same as they're doing now. I just hope this does'nt effect a lot of peoples livelyhood...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2007, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

This information sounds like it would make for an Interesting News Story: Did you submit it to Todd for consideration as a News Story?

FYI: "Active Topics" shows "All Forums" based on "Selected Length of Time"!

If I did, I wouldn't get credit, nor would I be able to give my own commentary.

(insert signature here)

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: June 10, 2007, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I've read this. It really does'nt have any effect on the industry as of yet and doubt if it will. The overall odds are set by the various states, therefor the only thing they have to do is be creative in their work. Someone or some company will eventually be more creative than scientific games and do the same as they're doing now. I just hope this does'nt effect a lot of peoples livelyhood...

You're right, it won't effect prize structures and odds and such. But some states might start seeing different play concepts. The look of the tickets might change, as well as the way the scratch material comes off.

(insert signature here)

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: June 10, 2007, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

If I did, I wouldn't get credit, nor would I be able to give my own commentary.

I often don't read posts that are "hidden" away in other forums, so I know what you mean.