Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unclaimed Prizes

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Wintariofan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

If only one person claims a jackpot, should they get the unclaimed portion after the time limit?

yes [ 10 ]  [62.50%]
no [ 6 ]  [37.50%]
depends on the prize [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 16 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Halifax
Canada
Member #52763
June 7, 2007
8 Posts
Posted: June 10, 2007, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

just wondering what everyone thinks

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: June 10, 2007, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

What do you mean by "unclaimed portion?"  A jackpot prize has either expired or it hasn't.  I voted "No" like most members, since the player should know the rules before buying a ticket.  However, I think that the time limit should be extended to one year in every state. 

Edit:  Never mind - I think you are asking something entirely different than I first thought.  Do you mean this? ...   A jackpot is $30 million.  3 people win.  2 only come forward and each get $10 million.  So the remaining $10 just sits there waiting for someone to claim it.  You are asking if that portion of the $30 million is never claimed if the other winner(s) should get it instead of the money going back to the lottery, right?

I think that's a good idea, or maybe they should have a second chance drawing and the lower tier prizes have a shot at it.

Halifax
      Canada
      Member #52763
      June 7, 2007
      8 Posts
      Posted: June 10, 2007, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

sorry i didnt have the space to type it out clearer.  If the Lottry company says that there are two winners and only one claims the prize, should he or she be enititled to the entire prize after the time has expired for the other ticket? 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4525 Posts
        Posted: June 10, 2007, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

your posting made sense.

Yes the lottery should set it up in both the way JustX described (2nd chance drawing) OR allow the rest of the unclaimed prize go to the claimants from the draw who did step forward.

Most times it just gathers interest and then goes into a slush fund that the lottery gets to use however they please. Most times they'll say it goes into the programs they support but who really knows?....

Good question Lucky7!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Halifax
          Canada
          Member #52763
          June 7, 2007
          8 Posts
          Posted: June 14, 2007, 9:53 am - IP Logged

ttt

Kingston, Ontario
            Canada
            Member #46867
            October 5, 2006
            106 Posts
            Posted: June 15, 2007, 2:15 am - IP Logged

NO, that money should go into an unclaimed prize fund and be given out in bonus draws or to support future jackpots.  How the system is set up ... if there's two winning tickets and no winner comes forward,  the second unclaimed ticket becomes expired and the prize goes back into the lottery pool.  We just had a whole months of bonus lottery jackpots that started at 25, 30, 37 and 40 million dollars on our Lotto-649.  Those huge bonus jackpots were partly a result of unclaimed money.  One guy won $37 million tax free this past week.   

"Together We're Making Good Things Happen,  Ontario's Lotteries...WE ALL WIN"