Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Starting Your Own Scratch ticket?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Badger.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Canada
Member #52835
June 11, 2007
1 Posts
Posted: June 11, 2007, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Hey just wondering if there was anyway/ possibilty on starting your own scratch ticket. If there is I would be very interested in knowing the laws of distributing it. What licenses you would need, and how much would be needed to start a buisness like this off.

For some reason though I keep thinking all scratch ticket companies are created by the government.

This may seem like a stupid question but i would appreciate a good answer.

Thanks

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: June 11, 2007, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

As far as I know there aren't any private companies selling them to the public. Only the fake ones.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10348 Posts
      Posted: June 11, 2007, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

In the U.S. only the state governments can run a lottery - including scratchers. Any private atempt to do so would come under the RICO Act (racketeering). Probably Canada, too, whatever your equivalent law is.

Some compnaies use scratchers for promotions for % off discounts or a free order of fries or a coke, but never cash prizes.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: June 11, 2007, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Actually, the company that makes most of the instant game tickets isn't a government agency, but only state lotteries can distribute them.  But where would you get the money to make the payoffs any way? 

Here is some more information from a recent thread:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/157300/844839

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23260 Posts
          Posted: June 11, 2007, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #1303
            March 27, 2003
            1508 Posts
            Posted: June 11, 2007, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

Hey just wondering if there was anyway/ possibilty on starting your own scratch ticket. If there is I would be very interested in knowing the laws of distributing it. What licenses you would need, and how much would be needed to start a buisness like this off.

For some reason though I keep thinking all scratch ticket companies are created by the government.

This may seem like a stupid question but i would appreciate a good answer.

Thanks

I don't know the Canadian laws, but since governments are governments, I suspect it would be illegal in Canada for an individual/individuals to try and distribute their own scratcht tickets, just as it is here.  The govt controls them. Only the govt (here at state level) is allowed to distribute them.

And the last thing the govt would want is someone else going into competition with the govt !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.