Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is wrong with this picture ?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Guru101.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: June 12, 2007, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

'A Florida financial-services firm employee and a Henrico County dental-clinic worker came forward Monday to claim a $44 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot.

Dan Franks, who lives in the Tampa Bay, Fla., area, and Kimberly Swanson chose to take a lump sum payment of $25.3 million rather than annual payments of $1.69 million for 26 years. After taxes, each will pocket about $7 million.'

Yeah, I know, we have discussed this ad nauseum, and I also know folks will pipe up and say '7 mill is better than zero - I'd take it', but still, after taxes, they get just 31.8% of the actual 'jackpot'.

It's the Gov't that hits the jackpot.. with 68.2% of the money.

I have not quite figured out where they came up with 1.69 mill x 26, because that adds up to 43.94 mill.  Gee, why don't they specify what THAT amount would actually be after taxes ? 

California
    United States
    Member #46824
    October 1, 2006
    270 Posts
    Posted: June 12, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

guesser...the govenment doesn't get 68.2% of the money.  Remember they have to pay off the lower prizes also.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1954 Posts
      Posted: June 12, 2007, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

No, the jackpot IS $44 million. You have the option of taking THAT prize amount annually over 26 years, or you can take a present day value. Both options are taxed. You ARE getting what you won and there's nothing to complain about. Lottery jackpots are advertised as ANNUAL payouts.

Gonna win.Big Smile

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
        Member #91
        January 19, 2002
        11936 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2007, 12:06 am - IP Logged

have not quite figured out where they came up with 1.69 mill x 26, because that adds up to 43.94 mill.  Gee, why don't they specify what THAT amount would actually be after taxes ? 

Actual its 1.6923079 X 26 years, they just rounded off...taxes would be approx. 35-38% per year.  If the lump sum is a 50% payoff (22 mil) and you took 36% taxes from that, it would leave about 14 mill between the 2 ppl. 64% of the pot.

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3475 Posts
          Posted: June 14, 2007, 12:41 am - IP Logged

No, the jackpot IS $44 million. You have the option of taking THAT prize amount annually over 26 years, or you can take a present day value. Both options are taxed. You ARE getting what you won and there's nothing to complain about. Lottery jackpots are advertised as ANNUAL payouts.

If they won't give it to you now, then it isn't what the jackpot is. If you have to wait for it, then it's a potential future value of the real jackpot.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7322 Posts
            Posted: June 14, 2007, 8:10 am - IP Logged

'A Florida financial-services firm employee and a Henrico County dental-clinic worker came forward Monday to claim a $44 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot.

Dan Franks, who lives in the Tampa Bay, Fla., area, and Kimberly Swanson chose to take a lump sum payment of $25.3 million rather than annual payments of $1.69 million for 26 years. After taxes, each will pocket about $7 million.'

Yeah, I know, we have discussed this ad nauseum, and I also know folks will pipe up and say '7 mill is better than zero - I'd take it', but still, after taxes, they get just 31.8% of the actual 'jackpot'.

It's the Gov't that hits the jackpot.. with 68.2% of the money.

I have not quite figured out where they came up with 1.69 mill x 26, because that adds up to 43.94 mill.  Gee, why don't they specify what THAT amount would actually be after taxes ? 

$25.3 million is the current price for purchasing a $44 million 26 year annuity. The lottery commission gives jackpot winners the option of purchasing an annuity for them or a one time payoff of the cost.

"Yeah, I know, we have discussed this ad nauseum, and I also know folks will pipe up and say '7 mill is better than zero - I'd take it', but still, after taxes, they get just 31.8% of the actual 'jackpot'."

This pre-tax jackpot of $25.3 million was split by two people (After taxes, each will pocket about $7 million.') and losing 55.3% off the top is still a kick in the butt, but each of them are done paying taxes on their $12.65 million. If they take the annuity option of $845,000, they have to pay taxes on that for the next 26 years and who knows what the tax rate will be in that period of time. Because there are so many factors involved it's difficult to determine which option, pay me know or pay me later is better.

Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1954 Posts
              Posted: June 14, 2007, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

If they won't give it to you now, then it isn't what the jackpot is. If you have to wait for it, then it's a potential future value of the real jackpot.

The jackpot is what it is. The reason you're saying it's not, is because you think that all jackpots are in terms of actual present day cash value. That's not what a jackpot is. A jackpot is a TYPE of prize, and there are TERMS that go along with that prize. $44 Million over 26 years is EXACTLY what the jackpot was here. They took the cash OPTION. See, this is where most people think you're not getting what you  really won, but you did. The cash option is exactly that, an OPTION. Just because the majority of jackpot winners take the cash option, you can't say that this jackpot wasn't a $44 Million jackpot.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3475 Posts
                Posted: June 14, 2007, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

The jackpot is what it is. The reason you're saying it's not, is because you think that all jackpots are in terms of actual present day cash value. That's not what a jackpot is. A jackpot is a TYPE of prize, and there are TERMS that go along with that prize. $44 Million over 26 years is EXACTLY what the jackpot was here. They took the cash OPTION. See, this is where most people think you're not getting what you  really won, but you did. The cash option is exactly that, an OPTION. Just because the majority of jackpot winners take the cash option, you can't say that this jackpot wasn't a $44 Million jackpot.

"The jackpot is what it is."

That's exactly right. The jackpot is what it is, and not what it will be somewhere down the road. It's a really simple concept.

1.  $1 million a year for 26 years

2. $26 Million

Which of those is actually $26 Million? If you can't tell the difference I'd like to buy your house for 150% of its market value.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: June 15, 2007, 12:56 am - IP Logged

Don't expect the idiots in Congress to have tax-free jackpots like the rest of the world. At least the Europeans and Canadians do it right.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: June 15, 2007, 9:29 am - IP Logged

I never said it wasn't, I implied the tax is too high, regardless of if it's on the cash payout, or the annuity.

I know it will never change, I was just venting.. 

United States
                      Member #10438
                      January 13, 2005
                      431 Posts
                      Posted: June 15, 2007, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

lets not foget the current t-bill intrest rate of 5% heck 200k will give you 5k every 6 months in intrest imaging 25 mill interst  woooHat

Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1954 Posts
                        Posted: June 15, 2007, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

"The jackpot is what it is."

That's exactly right. The jackpot is what it is, and not what it will be somewhere down the road. It's a really simple concept.

1.  $1 million a year for 26 years

2. $26 Million

Which of those is actually $26 Million? If you can't tell the difference I'd like to buy your house for 150% of its market value.

A jackpot isn't just an amount. It's the amount and the time in which that amount is to be paid. That defines what a jackpot is. For example, I could say "Saturday's PowerBall jackpot is $66 million", when in reality, the technical correct answer is "Saturday's PowerBall jackpot is $66 million over 29 years". Of course, most people just go ahead and use the first way of saying it. The lottery knows that a lot of people would rather have their prize in one lump sum, so they made a cash option.

Gonna win.Big Smile