Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Moral Question: Doctor or Lottery Winner?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 9 years ago by manzplan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Read the message below for the Question.

Doctor [ 11 ]  [91.67%]
Lottery Winner [ 1 ]  [8.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 12 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
Westerose
Canada
Member #52915
June 15, 2007
189 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2007, 6:42 am - IP Logged

If there is a poor person who can not afford a surgery then who has the real moral obligation to pay for that surgery? A wealthy Doctor who performs that type of surgery? Or a random Lottery Winner?

Mind you both would have about the same sort of money. The Doctor from collecting fees for services and the lottery winner from their winnings.

Say both have a net worth of 30 Million for the sake of this poll.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49835 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2007, 7:52 am - IP Logged

Neither One!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Grand Rapids, Michigan
      United States
      Member #53008
      June 19, 2007
      67 Posts
      Posted: July 1, 2007, 8:40 am - IP Logged

Just because you're rich that doesn't mean you have any sort of obligation to your fellow man.  I mean I'd make sure my family was taken care of and maybe some close friends, but I don't believe there's an obligation to make sure some stranger or poor person is taken care of.  If you're feeling guilty from being rich well then that's just messed up.  I guess you can ease your aching heart by donating to charity or volunteering at a hospital or something.  Plus I don't think a person would want to open that can of worms...soon you'd have every sick poor person knocking down your door for help.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: July 1, 2007, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

That would fall under the realm of National health care insurance...

oh wait, we don't have that here

Neither of the 2 choices would be morally obligated... but the doctor who has no problem billing insurance $10 for a band-aid and taking kickbacks from insurance companies for denying treatments and NOT ordering tests... Definitely NOT the lottery winner. 

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1955 Posts
          Posted: July 1, 2007, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Neither one.

Gonna win.Big Smile

JAP69's avatar - alas
            South Carolina
            United States
            Member #6
            November 4, 2001
            8790 Posts
            Posted: July 1, 2007, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

I do not think you can compare the example.

The Lottery winner would be donating cash.

The doctor is only out time lost when it is done on his off time. 

MAGA

emma pearl's avatar - yocco
              monroe, michigan
              United States
              Member #321
              April 30, 2002
              2407 Posts
              Posted: July 1, 2007, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

The doctor would have no alternative but to proform the life saving surgery.  There is state funds availabe.

EP

Pray for world peace.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7325 Posts
                Posted: July 1, 2007, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

If there is a poor person who can not afford a surgery then who has the real moral obligation to pay for that surgery? A wealthy Doctor who performs that type of surgery? Or a random Lottery Winner?

Mind you both would have about the same sort of money. The Doctor from collecting fees for services and the lottery winner from their winnings.

Say both have a net worth of 30 Million for the sake of this poll.

Asking does a wealthy doctor have a moral obligation to perform free surgery is a legitiment question but suggesting that a random Lottery Winner has the moral obligation to pay the wealthy doctor after the wealthy doctor refused is silly.

"Or a random Lottery Winner?...............Say both have a net worth of 30 Million for the sake of this poll."

Are you planning on making of list of all Lottery Winners and all people with a net worth of $30Million, put the names in a hat, draw a name, and try to convince them why they have a moral obligation to pay for that surgery simply because their name was drawn?

To insure it's random will you use ping pong balls or a RNG?

What happens if you draw the wealthy doctor that refused to do the surgery in the first place; will that be a "test draw"?

Westerose
                  Canada
                  Member #52915
                  June 15, 2007
                  189 Posts
                  Posted: July 1, 2007, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Asking does a wealthy doctor have a moral obligation to perform free surgery is a legitiment question but suggesting that a random Lottery Winner has the moral obligation to pay the wealthy doctor after the wealthy doctor refused is silly.

"Or a random Lottery Winner?...............Say both have a net worth of 30 Million for the sake of this poll."

Are you planning on making of list of all Lottery Winners and all people with a net worth of $30Million, put the names in a hat, draw a name, and try to convince them why they have a moral obligation to pay for that surgery simply because their name was drawn?

To insure it's random will you use ping pong balls or a RNG?

What happens if you draw the wealthy doctor that refused to do the surgery in the first place; will that be a "test draw"?

Being a bit of an Objectivist (Ayn Rand's Philosophy) I would normally say niether one myself.

However I neglected putting that option of niether  on this poll to get a bit of a dialog going.

My view is if there were a Moral Obligation which I don't think there is mind you in a situation like this it would fall with the doctor and not some random lottery winner.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

USA
                    United States
                    Member #23846
                    October 17, 2005
                    22 Posts
                    Posted: July 1, 2007, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

manzplan, if you have a moral problem playing the lottery than you shouldn't be playing.  And let me guess, you're about says if you where the lottery winner, you're going to pay for his surgery.  And than you proclaimed your good deed and become a hero, and go online brag about so everyone know the good deeds you just did.  You sound just like John Edward when he still has his money, Except, you Did NOT win the lottery or have that kind of money.

I know you want to win a billion dollar jackpot so that you can help needy aminals, yeah sure... I belief you ;)  Greed definitely has No Dept in some human being.

manzplan you DO NOT need to justify your greed or reason to play the lottery.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1955 Posts
                      Posted: July 1, 2007, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

manzplan, if you have a moral problem playing the lottery than you shouldn't be playing.  And let me guess, you're about says if you where the lottery winner, you're going to pay for his surgery.  And than you proclaimed your good deed and become a hero, and go online brag about so everyone know the good deeds you just did.  You sound just like John Edward when he still has his money, Except, you Did NOT win the lottery or have that kind of money.

I know you want to win a billion dollar jackpot so that you can help needy aminals, yeah sure... I belief you ;)  Greed definitely has No Dept in some human being.

Wait, isn't this the same guy who said the people that tell news reporters "I'll give to charity if I win" are just trying to get divine intervention? Nobody has a moral obligation if they won the lottery! It's their money, they can spend it how they choose!

Gonna win.Big Smile

New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #21206
                        September 4, 2005
                        949 Posts
                        Posted: July 1, 2007, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

You certainly spell like an Ayn Rand admirer, Manzplan.

I have never met an admirer of Ayn Rand who was over 15 years old who actually had a life, but that's my experience.

It is amazing that sleeping pills were ever invented.  I have always felt that one of the best ways to bore a person into a deep sleep is to read that nonsensical bunch of dullard "philosophy" that constitutes John Galt's interminable (and barely literate) speech in "Atlas Shrugged."

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                          Mcminnville, Oregon
                          United States
                          Member #3013
                          December 13, 2003
                          3056 Posts
                          Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:01 am - IP Logged

Being a bit of an Objectivist (Ayn Rand's Philosophy) I would normally say niether one myself.

However I neglected putting that option of niether  on this poll to get a bit of a dialog going.

My view is if there were a Moral Obligation which I don't think there is mind you in a situation like this it would fall with the doctor and not some random lottery winner.

In my view the question is irrelevant to the doctor or the lottery winner.  For the doctor his own morality and how he or she even views morality in the first place is the real question.  Another question to the Doctor is how he or she views his morals in relation to his or her own ethics.  And yet another question is how the doctor views his or her professional ethics as it relates to his or her patients.  In my view the lottery winner's view is a question of more of his or her duty to their fellow man or woman and less on their obligation to that individual or person.

My view of moral obligation is one of an internal nature.  My personal desires, my upbringing and my conscience would lead me to not help some one who needed a life saving operation.  My primary reasoning is based on me sustaining my financial level I have achieved through the lottery winnings.  Not on my code of conduct in the relation of whether it is right or wrong based on my own set of values.-weshar75

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:18 am - IP Logged

When does it stop ?

How many persons do you want to foot the bill for ?

Donate some money to a free clinic if you like, but I have not won the lottery and I don't see anyone breaking down my front door to pay any of my bills, and I bet you don't, either.

(the answer is 'Neither') 

Westerose
                              Canada
                              Member #52915
                              June 15, 2007
                              189 Posts
                              Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Aston lol I have no morals.

I believe morals are constructs that harm the universe and bind people up in all the false illusions that bind us from achiving perfection as a species and creating a beautiful Earth and universe.

I don't believe in ethics either.

Everything I do is for myself and that of those I love including my work on environmental issues.  The Earth is my home and animals on the Earth are a part of ecosystems that help my home the Earth run properly......      My concern with saving the environment and those animals is purely a selfish one...... that of protecting a Planet I call home.  I thought I made that clear to you before.

The Moral Question is to get people to really think about what they say in regards to who and what people should help with if they have money or means.... any kind of money or means.....

Actually I feel niether the Doctor nor the Lottery winner has any sort of obligation to help out in this respect........      However this question was posed so that people who live in the illusions of moral could really examine just what they think.