Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So, are you betting on a smoker or a grill?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 9 years ago by lotterybraker.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Augusta, Georgia
United States
Member #51133
March 29, 2007
241 Posts
Posted: July 2, 2007, 6:51 am - IP Logged

I figure with the 4th of July coming, I would bet on a smoker for my cookout. (had to twist this around so it fits with a gambling forum! Wink  )

So, are you going to grill or smoke for your cookout?

I'm smoking the meat and grilling some corn and veggies- covering all my bets (see how this is a form of gambling? All those hungry folks waiting to see how your bet works out)

A brisket, pork butt, sausages, chicken, and ribs on the smoker- nothing better than meat that has been smoked all night on a slow heat. And remember, if the meat has a list of ingredients (except for sausages), you do not want to smoke it- always start with fresh meat and use a good rub on the brisket and butt. For ribs, I like to use some Texas pepper jelly- Pineapple Habanero is a favorite for a glaze on the ribs.

What you got cooking?

And if you were to win big- would you continue to cook or hire a chef for your barbeques? I would continue to cook on my little smoker and grill, they work good and I'm used to them. Plus it is a great pleasure to cook for others.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3052 Posts
    Posted: July 2, 2007, 11:19 am - IP Logged

I was in Lowe's the other day and they had the commercial grills in the store and I thought of what I could cook on one for a few seconds.  I think that even if I had the money I would still like to prepare meat on the grill.  When rib eye steaks are on sale at Albertson's I like to buy some.  I take it home and rinse off the steak and then sprinkle salt and black pepper on it and grill to well done.  My sister and mother are big on applying sauces on all the meats they cook but not me.  I personally think you ruin a good steak when you coat it in sauce.-weshar75

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
      Member #48046
      December 7, 2006
      1699 Posts
      Posted: July 2, 2007, 11:33 am - IP Logged

I was thinking, Bar-b-que  chicken,  and mabey some simple stuff, like Hamburgers, and sausages, Grill wise.

I guess I could fire up the smoker to keep things warm, I also like to mix my soaky chips (mesquite and hickory)

Lottery related:  Quick-Pick your own meat, potato salad, and watermelon.Cool 

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
        mississippi
        United States
        Member #34478
        March 3, 2006
        5903 Posts
        Posted: July 2, 2007, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

I am BETTING on the best baked beans you will ever put in your mouth..get you a couple of tall cans of Bush's Baked beans..original..or homestyle..1 pound of groub beef..fry it..drain grase..andd to baked beans...add 3/4 small can of RO-TEL..just 3/4 of a can..or it will be spicey to eat..lol..

TO PREPARE...add one can of baked beans to a bowl you can bake in the oven..then add you ONE pound of ground beef...then add the 3/4 can of RO-TEL..add a little mustard in there...then top off with the second can of baked beans and mix up...then add a little BBQ sauce on top for a little extra flavor...bake 45 minutes..will be the best baked beans you have ever eaten...Happy Fouth of July everyone..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: July 2, 2007, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

I am BETTING on the best baked beans you will ever put in your mouth..get you a couple of tall cans of Bush's Baked beans..original..or homestyle..1 pound of groub beef..fry it..drain grase..andd to baked beans...add 3/4 small can of RO-TEL..just 3/4 of a can..or it will be spicey to eat..lol..

TO PREPARE...add one can of baked beans to a bowl you can bake in the oven..then add you ONE pound of ground beef...then add the 3/4 can of RO-TEL..add a little mustard in there...then top off with the second can of baked beans and mix up...then add a little BBQ sauce on top for a little extra flavor...bake 45 minutes..will be the best baked beans you have ever eaten...Happy Fouth of July everyone..

What is Ro-tel? Hot peppers?

Augusta, Georgia
            United States
            Member #51133
            March 29, 2007
            241 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

What is Ro-tel? Hot peppers?

Canned tomatoes, peppers and mixtures of the two in varying degrees of spiciness.

mississippi
              United States
              Member #34478
              March 3, 2006
              5903 Posts
              Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

yes pacattack05..its a blend of peppers and onions..tomatoes..its in a small can..just ask your grocery store..they will show you right where they have it on the shelf..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Thanx cheesegrits and lotterybraker.

I couldn't wait for an answer, so I went online to find out...lol

Rotel is a brand of tomatoes, which are spicy and are packed with green chiles and jalapenos. They come in mild, original, and extra hot. They also have a Mexican and Italian flavored. You can usually find them with the canned tomatoes, and sometimes with the Mexican food in a grocery store.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  31360 Posts
                  Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

What time is dinner y'all????

BBQ 

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

If i'm not working on that day I'll do a teriyaki theme.

One pound of ground round, and one pound of ground sirloin.

Black pepper, little salt, and a good brand of teriyaki glaze, that's thick and not watered down. Mix well, but do not mix too much, since the burgers will get too tough. Just enough that the ingredients are all throughout the meat. Yum YUM!!!

Buy two one pound bags of chicken tenderloin pieces. Place the tenderloin between two layers of saran wrap. Gently beat the tenderloins with a mallet. If you don't have a mallet, use any heavy object with a smooth surface, like a wine bottle. After flattening the loins without tearing them apart, place them in a casserole dish and with an extra bottle of the same kind of teriyaki glaze used for the burgers,and pour it in the casserole. Blend well so all the meat is covered. Marinate in the fridge for atleast 2 to 3 hours, and grill.

Make sure to never use the marinade as a glaze in the grilling session. Potential risk of bacterial infection from uncooked glaze sitting in raw chicken is possible.

And for the sides, well maybe I'll try that fantabulous beans concoction mentioned by lotterybraker...lol

US Flag

Cheers     

Patriot

Guitar              Party

mississippi
                      United States
                      Member #34478
                      March 3, 2006
                      5903 Posts
                      Posted: July 2, 2007, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

BBQ 

Em...dinner will be ready sometime after the midday draws Wednesday..lol..come on over..will have some loaded mashed potatoes also..home made mashed potatoes then add some chedder cheese in them with bacon bits..the soft bacon beats..not the real crunchy kind..lol..will also have some bbq burgers and hotdogs..might even buy me a big peoples lemonade..as in Mikes hard lemonade..LOL..only a couple for me though..I am just a social drinker..only takes a couple..lol

Augusta, Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #51133
                        March 29, 2007
                        241 Posts
                        Posted: July 2, 2007, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

BBQ 

I'll be in Oglethorpe County (near Athens) at the sister and brother-in-law's farm. Eating around 5PM. I'm bringing the meat, and others are bringing the rest. 

If you are near, let me know. 

I'm putting on the rub tonight and will start smoking  tomorrow evening.  leaving for their place Wed am.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: July 2, 2007, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

There's nothing better than a nice slab of meat on the grill, searing and carmelizing the sugars in the meat.....HMMMMM.

A side of beans and smashed potatoes....HMMM

Coleslaw too....hmmmmm

A biscuit. gravy....corn......pepsi......green beans in butter...real butter, not country crock....lol Atleast they're honest about the crock...lol

For dessert, Tarimasu....hmmmm

Baklava......

Salsbury steak in mushroom gravy...hmmmmmm

Grilled chicken on a bed of baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese....hmmmmm.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #53008
                            June 19, 2007
                            67 Posts
                            Posted: July 2, 2007, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

You all are making me hungry!!!  Back to the question...since I don't own a smoker I would be using my propane grill, but if I win the lottery I will buy state of the art of both.

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: July 2, 2007, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

You all are making me hungry!!!  Back to the question...since I don't own a smoker I would be using my propane grill, but if I win the lottery I will buy state of the art of both.

In my opinion, a gas grill works best because of the actual fire crisping the meat.

A side dish of corn, and corn bread. Beans and Texas toast. I had that for breakfast one day with eggs and crispy bacon....hashbrowns....and a nice hot cup of coffee with 4 creams and 3 sugars......hmmmmmm A side plate of hot cakes and sausage in authentic Vermont maple syrup...hmmmmm and of course real churned butter, with some hot tea to wash it all down.......hmmm.

Texas toast is much larger than standard toast.....hmmm....