Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

why is 3 of 5 and 3 of 6 average

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 9 years ago by CCHS13.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #10438
January 13, 2005
431 Posts
Posted: July 5, 2007, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

why is 3 of 5 and 3 of 6 such an average hit on these games?  just take 1 look in predictions and you'll see bunchs n bunchs of 3-5 and 3-6 winners  is the jump from 3-5 to 4-5 that big odds wise?  or 3-6 to 4-6 odds wise?  that much diffrent?  must be ...they'll be 20 3 of 6 winners every day but maybe 1 4-6 winner  ----------------------we need to correct thisWink

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: July 5, 2007, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

why is 3 of 5 and 3 of 6 such an average hit on these games?  just take 1 look in predictions and you'll see bunchs n bunchs of 3-5 and 3-6 winners  is the jump from 3-5 to 4-5 that big odds wise?  or 3-6 to 4-6 odds wise?  that much diffrent?  must be ...they'll be 20 3 of 6 winners every day but maybe 1 4-6 winner  ----------------------we need to correct thisWink

Well, first thing to consider is that MOST games don't have 2/5 or 2/6 prizes, so the 3/5 and 3/6 hits that you're seeing are mostly the minimum you must match in order to actually receive a prize. Since it's the easiest to match(in order to win A prize), you can expect it to be the most common. Now as far as the difference between 3/5 and 4/5 or 3/6 and 4/6 depends on the matrix of the game being played. 4/5 actually is a bit harder than 3/5 because of the size of the pool that remains even after matching the first 3 numbers. For example, if you're playing a 5/36 game, and you've matched 3 numbers so far, to get AT LEAST a 4th number right, one of those 2 remaining numbers on that set must match yet another number that is picked from a pool of 33 numbers(36 total - 3 already matched). So there is a good amount of a difference. Now when I say 4/5 is "harder" than 3/5, I'm not necessarily implying that 4/5 is HARD. During my recent study of Pick 5, 4/5 and 5/5 actually can be easy when dealing with a low matrix Pick 5 game like Indiana's Lucky 5(which is 5/36) and using a good system. I've redesigned several of my algorithms and came up with several new ones, and hopefully 4/5 and 5/5 will start hitting.Big Grin

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19819 Posts
      Posted: July 5, 2007, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

You should look at the prediction board closer and check your math.  Only 5%-10% of the predictions match 3 or better, the rest hit nothing so the average is closer to no hits than 3of5 or 3of6.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: July 5, 2007, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

here is the breakdown for a 36 Choose 5 game

ways to match:

5 of 5 1
         4 of 5 155
         3 of 5 4,650
         2 of 5
         1 of 5
         0 of 5

so you can see that getting 3/5 is 30 times more likely than getting 4/5 Cool

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
          Dump Water Florida
          United States
          Member #380
          June 5, 2002
          3102 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2007, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Think about Pick-3 wheeling for a minute. 

If you want to wheel 3 digits all different it takes one number.
          If you want to wheel 4 digits all different it takes four numbers. 
          If you want to wheel 5 digits all different it takes ten numbers. 
          If you want to wheel 6 digits all different it takes twenty numbers.

This tells us a five number line/combination contains 10 ways to make up sets of three. 

A six number line/combination contains 20 ways to make up sets of three. 

There are 5 ways to make up sets of 4 numbers out of 5.
          There are 15 ways to make up sets of 4 numbers out of 6.
          There are 6 ways to make up sets of 5 numbers out of 6.
          There is only one way to make up a set of 5 out of 5.
          There is only one way to make up a set of 6 out of 6.

One ticket buys far more 3# coverage then any other prize tier, hence more 3# prizes are likely vs 4, 5 and 6.

BobP

Brazil
            Member #51781
            April 24, 2007
            384 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2007, 2:52 am - IP Logged

Ok, I checked the Prediction Winners for Thursday, July 5.

Only RJOh and I are standard members. The others are probably using the Premium Membership.

RJOh has two tickets with 3 out of 5 on Pennsylvania Treasure Hunt.

I got one ticket with 3 out of 5 on Georgia Fantasy 5.

United States
              Member #10438
              January 13, 2005
              431 Posts
              Posted: July 6, 2007, 7:08 am - IP Logged

Ok, I checked the Prediction Winners for Thursday, July 5.

Only RJOh and I are standard members. The others are probably using the Premium Membership.

RJOh has two tickets with 3 out of 5 on Pennsylvania Treasure Hunt.

I got one ticket with 3 out of 5 on Georgia Fantasy 5.

any theorys on how we can correct this problem?Sun Smiley    with all these close calls someones gotta nail a jack in predictions somtime soon

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: July 6, 2007, 9:10 am - IP Logged

I think geos*5666 got a 5 of 5 a couple of weeks ago.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19819 Posts
                  Posted: July 6, 2007, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

any theorys on how we can correct this problem?Sun Smiley    with all these close calls someones gotta nail a jack in predictions somtime soon

Check the prediction board daily for which predictors are winning the big prizes and do what they do.  It could be as simple as playing a lot more combinations. Wink

I match a few threes and fours once in a while but only 5% of my predictions do even that well.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Brazil
                    Member #51781
                    April 24, 2007
                    384 Posts
                    Posted: July 11, 2007, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Ok, today I matched 3 out of 6 for the Multi-State,  Tri-State MegaBucks. I used a reduced combination for matching 3 out of 6 , this combination has a guarantee of at least one winner ticket from ten tickets. The combination use 1 win(s) , 3 out of 6, 18 numbers (10 tickets). Probably playing more combinations would signify higher prizes , sure that playing the correct numbers also help a lot !!!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                      Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5583 Posts
                      Posted: July 11, 2007, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

Ok, today I matched 3 out of 6 for the Multi-State,  Tri-State MegaBucks. I used a reduced combination for matching 3 out of 6 , this combination has a guarantee of at least one winner ticket from ten tickets. The combination use 1 win(s) , 3 out of 6, 18 numbers (10 tickets). Probably playing more combinations would signify higher prizes , sure that playing the correct numbers also help a lot !!!

Yes. Good job.  Whatever you are doing to pick sets is good because you've done very well in the challenges. I think you have the potential to be a 6 of 6 winner. I don't know what this tri state is. Where is it? Or is this prediction? I'll look.

OK. I saw it on prediction. Good job.

That is the key, of course, having the right (drawn) numbers in your sets.

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
                        Illinois
                        United States
                        Member #46704
                        September 23, 2006
                        3692 Posts
                        Posted: July 11, 2007, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

I have noticed the same thing for quite a while now, also most of the 3 of 5's

and/or 3 of 6's that come from different predictors combined would have

had all the right picks.  Predictor A may have 3 of 5 and predictor B may

have 3 of 5 but together they had all 5 picks.  The trick is when you have

50 picks per person how do you play effectively without loosing your ass...What?

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont