Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Putting most of jackpot prize in investment?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 9 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2007, 3:30 am - IP Logged

Say I won 20millions as a lumpsum prize after tax and everything. I put 80% of it (16 millions) in various investments, incluing annuity and income properties that give me steady flow of income. (well, I don't think I can buy a lot of income properties because buildings are mighty expensive in Los Angeles County.) 20% of money goes into my housing (2.5 millions because that's the average price of 4 bedroom house in Santa Monica) and 1.5 million into money market, an emergency cash reserve.

I will donate 15% of monthly income to Disabled American Veterans because I myself a disabled vet (not physically, but I have a mild psychosis). But I can't pledge for anything.

Sounds selfish to you guys? 

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: July 6, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Does not sound selfish to me. Sounds prudent.

BTW, Thank you for your service. God Bless our Vets.....US Flag

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2007, 11:29 am - IP Logged

Nobody can judge what is selfish for someone else.  I agree with DD that your plan sounds very practical.  If you invest your money wisely, you can always decide to help others in need when you feel it's appropriate.  I wouldn't just give away all my money either. I probably wouldn't spend that much for a house, but if you want to live in certain areas of CA, that's not an astronomical amount of money.  In many coastal communities of FL, you can spend $2 million easily.  I'm one of these "the smaller the better" people as long as it has lots of privacy, all the amenities, some toys, and I never have to lift another finger to clean it as long as I live! 

Hat

I wish you a lot of luck.   

Entertaiment Capital
        United States
        Member #37800
        April 19, 2006
        302 Posts
        Posted: July 6, 2007, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Well, if I win...my one big indulgence might be a silver Aston Martin DB9. Perhaps I can fetch a used one for a low price...

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2007, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Well, if I win...my one big indulgence might be a silver Aston Martin DB9. Perhaps I can fetch a used one for a low price...

Nice - there's a dealership down the road a bit that sells them.  I was in their showroom last year and I believe that's the model they had for about $178,000 but I could be mistaken. 

Grand Rapids, Michigan
            United States
            Member #53008
            June 19, 2007
            67 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2007, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

Nice - there's a dealership down the road a bit that sells them.  I was in their showroom last year and I believe that's the model they had for about $178,000 but I could be mistaken. 

I've always loved the look of Lamborginis/Ferraris but where I live there are no dealerships around.  The only real "sports car" dealearship is Porche.  I've always wondered how I'd go about checking out fancy/real sports cars from where I'm at?  I mean would I have to fly out to a dealership in Los Angeles and just buy one there and have them truck it to my state?  It's just one of those things I've always wondered about just in case I won and had the money to do something crazy like that.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: July 6, 2007, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Say I won 20millions as a lumpsum prize after tax and everything. I put 80% of it (16 millions) in various investments, incluing annuity and income properties that give me steady flow of income. (well, I don't think I can buy a lot of income properties because buildings are mighty expensive in Los Angeles County.) 20% of money goes into my housing (2.5 millions because that's the average price of 4 bedroom house in Santa Monica) and 1.5 million into money market, an emergency cash reserve.

I will donate 15% of monthly income to Disabled American Veterans because I myself a disabled vet (not physically, but I have a mild psychosis). But I can't pledge for anything.

Sounds like a good plan.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                Member #24380
                October 21, 2005
                623 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2007, 3:46 am - IP Logged

Very, very, practical. 

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2007, 4:35 am - IP Logged

I've always loved the look of Lamborginis/Ferraris but where I live there are no dealerships around.  The only real "sports car" dealearship is Porche.  I've always wondered how I'd go about checking out fancy/real sports cars from where I'm at?  I mean would I have to fly out to a dealership in Los Angeles and just buy one there and have them truck it to my state?  It's just one of those things I've always wondered about just in case I won and had the money to do something crazy like that.

It would be a personal choice.  If you didn't need to test drive it, you could buy it over the net.  Once I worked for a loan company (so obviously these buyers weren't millionaires) and it's not uncommon these days for people to buy without seeing the car if they know the dealer is reputable.  One client bought a BMW. I don't know if I'd do it however, but it's getting more and more common.  I know CA has its own emission controls laws, but I haven't sold cars in over 10 years, so I don't keep up with the laws.  FL doesn't have vehicle inspections anyway.  You can buy a Flintstone car here and register it! 

BTW, there are a lot of used Aston Martins listed on Yahoo, but they're not cheap!  The local dealer I mentioned probably has a web site. I'm sure if you Google Naples Aston Martin you can find it. I think FL is closer to you than CA.  If you want to find a dealer in your area for any car you can go to Edmunds.com and type in your zip code and it will tell you if there's one within 200 miles. There's also a Ferrari Club of America and there should be a chapter in MI.  If you like reading about luxury cars you might enjoy this article from a local magazine. Boy this man has lots of money, but he didn't get it winning the lottery. Many multi-millionaires made their fortunes in real estate. 

http://www.gulfshorelife.com/Articles/Gulfshore-Life/2007/04/Wheeling-Healing.asp

Westerose
                    Canada
                    Member #52915
                    June 15, 2007
                    189 Posts
                    Posted: July 7, 2007, 8:09 am - IP Logged

It's too generous lol .... but watch out a couple on here will say you are greedy no matter what you say.

pssssst just tell those ones you'll buy a lot of 300k cars with the money to p*ss them off lol

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Baton Rouge, LA
                      United States
                      Member #4602
                      May 7, 2004
                      699 Posts
                      Posted: July 7, 2007, 8:46 am - IP Logged

Sounds like a good plan to me.  If I were in your shoes, I'd probably move to a lower cost more tax advantageous area than California, but if you like the area, why not stay?  In a lower cost area though, the money will go alot further.

The first thing I'd do is get out of debt.  Both of our cars are fairly new and in good shape, so we'd stick with them for a while.  If I were to get a new car, it would be something like a Hyundai Sonata, a nice car, but not as obvious as a Mercedes or a Ferrari.  For the most part, I'd like to lay low and just enjoy life, not having to worry about all the scammers who'll want some of the money.

Just my opinion.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Westerose
                        Canada
                        Member #52915
                        June 15, 2007
                        189 Posts
                        Posted: July 8, 2007, 2:40 am - IP Logged

Sounds like a good plan to me.  If I were in your shoes, I'd probably move to a lower cost more tax advantageous area than California, but if you like the area, why not stay?  In a lower cost area though, the money will go alot further.

The first thing I'd do is get out of debt.  Both of our cars are fairly new and in good shape, so we'd stick with them for a while.  If I were to get a new car, it would be something like a Hyundai Sonata, a nice car, but not as obvious as a Mercedes or a Ferrari.  For the most part, I'd like to lay low and just enjoy life, not having to worry about all the scammers who'll want some of the money.

Just my opinion.

I am going for the new Lexus Hybred.... looks smart and plus I want to support the only luxury car hybred out there.

Other than that it's a prius and a hybred truck

However I do have to use a heavy duty truck for the horse trailers... but then again that isn't every day driving.

I use to want an Aston Martin Logonda and a Lamborgini Contach .... but not anymore.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: July 8, 2007, 5:33 am - IP Logged

You do NOT want to buy a Ferrari from anywhere in Los Angeles, especially the dealer there. PM me and I will tell you where, but absolutely not in LA/Hollywood. Most anywhere else, but not in LA - or Phoenix/Scottsdale.

Me ?

I'd buy a Ford Fusion or something like that, or maybe a Honda, and then I'd be looking for a Ferrari F50.

A Prious is worse on the environment than a Hummer, if you do some research you will see why. 

As far as being selfish with 'money', I would not profess to tell anyone what to do with THEIR money, because it's none of my business, just as I'm sure none of you would appreciate anyone telling you what you should do with your money......  That said, feel free to buy a Ferrari in LA or AZ, but I wouldn't.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: July 10, 2007, 2:33 am - IP Logged

You're planning on keeping 88% for yourself? That's the definition of selfish.

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: July 11, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

That's what i'd have done too; put it on investment...And i probably have different houses in different Latin American countries including Brazil...They will be 150-200K houses and of course they will be in subdivisions...