Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which is a Better Betting Strategy?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 9 years ago by scorpio.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What might give you an edge or payoff better than the rest.

Nil/Saving your money [ 5 ]  [9.26%]
One ticket per draw/You don't play you can't win [ 8 ]  [14.81%]
A couple of tickets/Quick pick/Own pick [ 12 ]  [22.22%]
A handful of quick picks [ 4 ]  [7.41%]
A handful of own picks [ 9 ]  [16.67%]
A handful of a Hot pick(s) plus quick picks [ 7 ]  [12.96%]
A handful of picks with same bonus ball [ 2 ]  [3.70%]
A handful of the same picks w/different bonus ball [ 3 ]  [5.56%]
A handful of the same picks w/same bonus balls [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Betting your house [ 4 ]  [7.41%]
Total Valid Votes [ 54 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  

United States
Member #24439
October 22, 2005
638 Posts
Posted: July 10, 2007, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

What strategy is likely to yeild more money in the long run?

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: July 10, 2007, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Assuming you are talkiing PBall Mega,. 

IMHO I like the same Bonus ball on every ticket, I can't  say how likely whether or not it yield more or less money, but as I have written before the bonus ball is the first mountain to climb.

Once you have the bonus ball everything else is a gift. lol jarasan

P.S. If I hit the Pball or Mball I get very cheeky.

United States
      Member #24439
      October 22, 2005
      638 Posts
      Posted: July 10, 2007, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Assuming you are talkiing PBall Mega,. 

IMHO I like the same Bonus ball on every ticket, I can't  say how likely whether or not it yield more or less money, but as I have written before the bonus ball is the first mountain to climb.

Once you have the bonus ball everything else is a gift. lol jarasan

P.S. If I hit the Pball or Mball I get very cheeky.

I actually think it is the reverse, play the same white balls in every line with different powerball.

If you won on the white balls section any bonus ball match will increment the payout.

Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5583 Posts
        Posted: July 11, 2007, 8:19 am - IP Logged

I actually think it is the reverse, play the same white balls in every line with different powerball.

If you won on the white balls section any bonus ball match will increment the payout.

If your talking money, realistically, the odds of hitting the bonus ball are a lot better than hitting 3 of 5 on any game. 2 of 5 doesn't pay unless you have the bonus, 1 of 5 doesn't pay unless you have the bonus.  lol

United States
          Member #24439
          October 22, 2005
          638 Posts
          Posted: July 11, 2007, 9:22 am - IP Logged

If your talking money, realistically, the odds of hitting the bonus ball are a lot better than hitting 3 of 5 on any game. 2 of 5 doesn't pay unless you have the bonus, 1 of 5 doesn't pay unless you have the bonus.  lol

Yeah but waiting 42 or more drawing to get Cheeky. I like my cheekies in small amounts unless is the jackpot.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
            Member #28409
            December 15, 2005
            1198 Posts
            Posted: July 11, 2007, 10:25 am - IP Logged

I picked play several lines/quick pick/own pick. Because this is how I play. But on the last powerball draw if I had played one set of numbers and all 42 powerballs, my payout would have been over 10,000 dollars verses the over 100 dollars I got. Big difference. Next time I have the feeling I had with that one, I'm playing them with all powerballs. I can't afford to do that every time so I have to wait until those special draws.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Harbinger
              D.C./MD.
              United States
              Member #44103
              July 30, 2006
              5583 Posts
              Posted: July 11, 2007, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

Yeah but waiting 42 or more drawing to get Cheeky. I like my cheekies in small amounts unless is the jackpot.

42 drawings doesn't mean a thing, there are no guarantees, the same bonus ball could come out three games in a row, or not for 230 games.  The odds are for the Pball is 1 :42, the odds for 3 of 5 is 1 : 290.  The logic you are using dictates you have to wait 290 draws for a three of five?  6 years for a cheeky is long time. 42 x 290 = $12,180, that is assuming one line played with 42 Pballs every game to THEORETICALLY win $150, I like my THEORETICAL $5 to win $15 every draw.

Now if you hit 3 of 5 every draw on one play, I want to join your club and add some cheekiness.  LOL jarasan

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: July 11, 2007, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I rather save my money as my vote. I rather go buy food in the long run. I would only buy MM tickets if it reaches $300 million or CA Super Lotto Plus if it reaches $48 million or more.

Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #49384
                  January 29, 2007
                  113 Posts
                  Posted: July 11, 2007, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

betting your house, must be plumb sure of a victory then!!

Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #49384
                    January 29, 2007
                    113 Posts
                    Posted: July 11, 2007, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

a second thought, does any of the powerball or mega money go to education? from what i've hearn it doesn't.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: July 12, 2007, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

I do 10 games of my own choice every drawing, but that said, a winner is a winner, and a loser is a loser, no matter what.  I feel I am closer to winning than I am with QP's, but as I said - a loser is a loser no matter how its' picked.  And so is a Winner.

The reasons I pick my own are well-documented here: I don't want a QP where all of the numbers are longshot that have not hit in 10+ games, I don't want 5 numbers that have all hit in the last 3 games, I want to be sure I spread my odds.  Again - see: a loser is a loser, no matter what. Close doesn't count, but I want slightly better odds of my own choosing.  

BUT: 70% of winners are QP's - because 70% of all sales are QP's, so there you go. 

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: July 13, 2007, 11:58 am - IP Logged

I rather save my money as my vote. I rather go buy food in the long run. I would only buy MM tickets if it reaches $300 million or CA Super Lotto Plus if it reaches $48 million or more.

I usually pick my own numbers for the game, not quick picks if I play lotto with these jackpot rules I impose.

United States
                          Member #24439
                          October 22, 2005
                          638 Posts
                          Posted: July 20, 2007, 3:31 am - IP Logged

42 drawings doesn't mean a thing, there are no guarantees, the same bonus ball could come out three games in a row, or not for 230 games.  The odds are for the Pball is 1 :42, the odds for 3 of 5 is 1 : 290.  The logic you are using dictates you have to wait 290 draws for a three of five?  6 years for a cheeky is long time. 42 x 290 = $12,180, that is assuming one line played with 42 Pballs every game to THEORETICALLY win $150, I like my THEORETICAL $5 to win $15 every draw.

Now if you hit 3 of 5 every draw on one play, I want to join your club and add some cheekiness.  LOL jarasan

Interesting point. 

Assuming a hand full of tickets is about 10.

I play the same white balls with 10 different powerballs. I am not waiting 1 : 290 to win. I am winning every 4 games. 10 : 42. My dilemma will be hitting on the white balls. This can be improved by a good system.

Using your strategy of about 10 lines with the same powerballs, I will assume we will come out even on the bonus ball wins. The problem is then 10 same white balls vs. 10 different white balls over time.

I think someone could calculate the propability of each.

Saving your money beats them all in the long run assuming you don't win big. But we all going to win it big that is why we play.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                            Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1954 Posts
                            Posted: July 22, 2007, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

My program randomly chooses my numbers, puts them in numerical order, and runs them through all my algorithms to see if the set in its entirety comes out as a "valid" choice. If it's not, it chooses a new set of numbers. Of course, every now and then it excludes a set that actually does come out a winner. These are what I call "exceptions". Doesn't really bother me though. I know that exceptions are going to occur. I usually never remove an entire algorithm if it's causing an exception to occur more than it should. I usually just make a few modifications, allowing that particular algorithm to have more leniency when making its decision of whether or not a set is considered valid to it.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19830 Posts
                              Posted: July 24, 2007, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

When ever you play a lottery game, there is one combination with all the winning numbers  and a fixed amount of other combinations with enough of the winning numbers to win something which is usually about 3% or less of all the possible combinations, the other 97% are losers. 

The more combinations you buy at one time the better you chances of having one of the winners are so saving up and buying more combinations at one time is likely to be better than buying one combinations every time.

Betting your home to buy less than all the possible combinations is a bad bet and paying more for all the possible combinations than the total payouts is also a bad bet.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking