Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should PB MM be tax-free/lump sum

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 9 years ago by konane.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Should PB and MM be tax free, lump sum actual amount payout?

Yes! [ 63 ]  [82.89%]
No. [ 4 ]  [5.26%]
I don't care as long as I win it. [ 9 ]  [11.84%]
Total Valid Votes [ 76 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
Just outside of Cleveland, OH
United States
Member #54079
August 3, 2007
106 Posts
Posted: August 9, 2007, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

In the good ol US to expect anything not to be taxed is a little unrealistic but that would

be too much like right and we know that will never happen.  On a more realistic note the

taxes should definetly be reduced.  I think its approx 25% just for Federal and that is

just way too high.  They win the lottery everytime somebody wins

Actually the tax for the Feds is closer to 35% which they will tell you when your winnings are  transferred into  your account.  Had a friend who won an OH Lotto Jackpot many years ago with a group from his work and they informed him and each of the others that he/they would owe more at the end of the year to the Feds.  Their excuse is that if a person should make a large contribution to charity that first year--then it would significantly  reduce their tax responsibility so they underwithhold on the basis of the if-come.  What a CROCK--I mean, my church and my daughter's church will both benefit were I to ever win-- but we're not talking 20% of the distribution.

I'm not sure of their rationale behind not collecting enough tax at the get-go but it still stinks, and you're right CCH, the real winners here are the Feds--as usual.  Even a good tax attorney will only be able to shield so much of this windfall.

Indiana
    United States
    Member #29196
    December 29, 2005
    280 Posts
    Posted: August 10, 2007, 8:43 am - IP Logged

AuntiPat is correct about reducing the tax burden.  I've studied this and it doesn't matter how you claim your prize...Trust...LLC or otherwise I can't see a way to significently reduce the Federal Tax burden unless you form a charitable trust and then you loose control of most of the money.  

I too have heard the stories about lotteries promoting charitable donations as a way to reduce the tax burden.  But I never understood why they would do that.  Being the cynic that I am I always believed they underwitheld taxes so they could make the take home amount seem like it was more than it really was.  Similar to the way they advertise the annuity prize amount even when the winner takes the cash option.  We've all seen winners standing there holding the giant check of the annuity amount and then read the press release and it says they took the cash option.  It's the same concept.  They took home X million after taxes...but they don't tell you they will still owe Y million at the end of the year.

I live in a state that taxes lottery winnings (as most of us do) and by my calculation if you won a jackpt prize in Indiana the total tax liability for state, county/municipal and feds is 40%.  And that's not as bad as some states! 

The Feds and the states are the real winners of big jackpots and that stinks!

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: August 10, 2007, 11:23 am - IP Logged

My vote is yes. I hope MM and PB starts with a cash value lump sum jackpot in the future.

They already start with a cash value. That's just not what they use when they advertise.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: August 10, 2007, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Actually the tax for the Feds is closer to 35% which they will tell you when your winnings are  transferred into  your account.  Had a friend who won an OH Lotto Jackpot many years ago with a group from his work and they informed him and each of the others that he/they would owe more at the end of the year to the Feds.  Their excuse is that if a person should make a large contribution to charity that first year--then it would significantly  reduce their tax responsibility so they underwithhold on the basis of the if-come.  What a CROCK--I mean, my church and my daughter's church will both benefit were I to ever win-- but we're not talking 20% of the distribution.

I'm not sure of their rationale behind not collecting enough tax at the get-go but it still stinks, and you're right CCH, the real winners here are the Feds--as usual.  Even a good tax attorney will only be able to shield so much of this windfall.

The 25% withholding rate wasn't put into place just to deal with jackpot winners. It's a single withholding rate that covers a bunch of things. If a win increases your taxable income by a few hundred grand you're going to owe more than 25% on it. If you win $750 it's not likely to fall into a higher tax bracket, and if you aren't already in the 25% bracket you'll only owe 15%. That will get you a whopping $75 refund later on. Most people fall into the 25% bracket, so a 25% withholding rate works most of the time.  Sure, it suxks when you owe that extra 10% at filing time, but how is that worse than losing the whole 35% up front? If you're a moron and you just put it into a 5 year CD you're going to pay a huge penalty by withdrawing or  borrowing money to pay the tax, but if you're a bit smarter you'll have earned a few bucks on the 10% while you had it. Obviously it's very risky, as well as unlikely, but that extra 10% could potentially triple while you had it.

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
          Just outside of Cleveland, OH
          United States
          Member #54079
          August 3, 2007
          106 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2007, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

The 25% withholding rate wasn't put into place just to deal with jackpot winners. It's a single withholding rate that covers a bunch of things. If a win increases your taxable income by a few hundred grand you're going to owe more than 25% on it. If you win $750 it's not likely to fall into a higher tax bracket, and if you aren't already in the 25% bracket you'll only owe 15%. That will get you a whopping $75 refund later on. Most people fall into the 25% bracket, so a 25% withholding rate works most of the time.  Sure, it suxks when you owe that extra 10% at filing time, but how is that worse than losing the whole 35% up front? If you're a moron and you just put it into a 5 year CD you're going to pay a huge penalty by withdrawing or  borrowing money to pay the tax, but if you're a bit smarter you'll have earned a few bucks on the 10% while you had it. Obviously it's very risky, as well as unlikely, but that extra 10% could potentially triple while you had it.

I believe anything over $335,000 is taxed at 35% Federally--although I'm not certain if that rate is based on earned income or unearned income (taxed at a higher rate).  Wouldn't the money you earn off your winnings be taxed at a pretty stiff rate?  The distribution year is the worst for taxes and I would sure feel better knowing that all the money that's left at distribution was mine--but that's just the way I feel.  Since anything you do with the extra 10% would be taxed at capital gains rates--let'em take what they want upfront (that's just for me though)--I'm not enough of an operator to even double that 10% much less triple it--as we have seen this week--real estate and the stock market, both good havens with decent returns in the past, are both risky propositions.  Hopefully, should any of us be faced with that VERY pleasant proposition--we would have someone who REALLY knows the ins and outs of tax law giving us good advice. 

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: August 11, 2007, 3:24 am - IP Logged

If you're married and filing jointly the 35% rate kicks in at $336,550.  Social Security taxes only apply to earned income, but both earned and unearned income are taxed at the regular rate unless specific conditions are met, such as capital gains on investments that are held long enough.  Anything you earn on the 10% that isn't withheld would be taxed at the same 35% unless it qualifies for the reduced capital gains rate. As a practical matter you aren't likely to have that  money invested for very long, so whatever it earns will probably be normal income.

Everyone is enough of an operator to double or triple an investment in a short period of time. The only question is if they're brave enough (or foolish enough) to take the risk, and lucky enough to do it at the right time and place. The losses in the market and drops in real estate that you refer to are a good example of why most of us should avoid most of that risk, especially with money that you need back in the near future. On the positive side, if you did double the 10% before you had to send it to the IRS you'd probably also have doubled much of the 50% you got to keep. Of course if you lost half of the 10% there's agood chance you'd have lost a lot of the 50%, and you'd still owe the 10% in taxes. If you turned 60% into 30%  and then sent 10% to the IRS you'd probably be a very unhappy camper. OTOH, if you got to put $5 million into a  5% CD for 6 months before sending it to the IRS you'd have vlittle or no risk, and could expect to make $125 grand. Of course you'd lose about $50 grand of it to taxes.  It's not much (if you've won a jackpot, anyway), but I don't think anybody would prefer to let the IRS earn the $75 grand.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23267 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2007, 7:17 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2007, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

I hope Powerball and Mega Millions continues to roll.

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: August 16, 2007, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

I hope Powerball and Mega Millions continues to roll.

You're in the wrong thread for your ever present hope, J6...

United States
                    Member #16612
                    June 2, 2005
                    3493 Posts
                    Posted: September 12, 2007, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

My vote is yes. I hope MM and PB starts with a cash value lump sum jackpot in the future.

I also hope that all states take away the sales tax whenever someone wins a jackpot.

MYSTME's avatar - chi
                      belmont
                      Australia
                      Member #55440
                      October 1, 2007
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: October 1, 2007, 4:10 am - IP Logged

Most Lotteries in the world outside of the US are Tax Free and the prize is paid out lump sum in the actual amount advertized. Do you feel Powerball and MegaMillions should do this as well?

no tax on wins in australia, but the money that is not won is given back to the people in grants. the rest goes on wages and such.in other words its more like charity than tax.charity sounds better to me than tax.

United States
                        Member #55473
                        October 4, 2007
                        28 Posts
                        Posted: October 4, 2007, 5:38 am - IP Logged

definitly should not tax the money winnings

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                          A long and winding road
                          United States
                          Member #17084
                          June 10, 2005
                          4527 Posts
                          Posted: October 4, 2007, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Uncle Jim, what a wonderful commentary you made! I actually think I had some shady relatives that did do that kinda scam in bars. To think they are now probably the politicians that passed the tax law. They get ya no mattah whatcha earn!

Not a fan of taxes in the US .

I said yes to the survey poll.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                            Member #4121
                            March 23, 2004
                            817 Posts
                            Posted: October 9, 2007, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

no tax on wins in australia, but the money that is not won is given back to the people in grants. the rest goes on wages and such.in other words its more like charity than tax.charity sounds better to me than tax.

I Agree!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5121 Posts
                              Posted: October 15, 2007, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hurray!    Jester Laugh     White Bounce

$O REMEMBER.....Halloween is "HERE"

now we can all DRESS-UP like

Teddy Kennedy and have HELL

of ahhhhhhhAAAAAAHHHHHHH

"Boston Tea PARTY"

PartyPartyPartyWhite BouncePartyWhite BouncePartyCheersCheers

LOL>>>>>>>TOO>>>>>>>when you sober-up PLAY for JACKPOT

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$