Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Marketing

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 9 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2007, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Does one State market the Lottery more aggressively than another?  Are you influenced at all by your State's marketing campaign?  When you pass a billboard, see an ad on television or are standing at a counter and see an ad for a new scratch game, a raffle or just the current jackpot amount boldly displaying on a screen, do you think it has any effect on your decision to buy more tickets?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2007, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Some states market more aggressively, sure. There's no marketing more aggreesive than when a state is trying to start a lottery though.

Lately Illinois has been running a lot of radio ads for the raffle.

The billboards or ads you mentioned don't really affect my play, the only time I play more is if a jackpot is up, up, up.

Don't forget a lot of advertising for the lottery is trying to target new players, for the most part they know they've got the regular players. Trying to get them to play more, sure, but they know they've got them.  

There is absolute no advertising that can top:

WINNING TICKET SOLD HERE.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2007, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

I hardly ever see a Hoosier Lottery commercial. I do start seeing a lot of PowerBall commercials when the jackpot is at $100M+.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Westerose
        Canada
        Member #52915
        June 15, 2007
        189 Posts
        Posted: July 14, 2007, 2:35 am - IP Logged

In Canada they market aggressively.......      lol Let's see your Lotto 649 Happy Dance......

Last Saturday oddly enough the 15 Million Jackpot was shared by 5 people.  Funny my wife said when we saw the numbers that it would be a couple people cos they looked like the type of numbers people generally play.

funny here it seems if there are 3 numbers in the 40s or the 30s or the 20s and so on the Jackpot grows cos no one hits. But if the numbers are spread out evenly through the 1-9 10-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 then people hit.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
          Pittsburg, Ks
          United States
          Member #3382
          January 17, 2004
          80613 Posts
          Posted: July 14, 2007, 5:55 am - IP Logged

Does one State market the Lottery more aggressively than another?  Are you influenced at all by your State's marketing campaign?  When you pass a billboard, see an ad on television or are standing at a counter and see an ad for a new scratch game, a raffle or just the current jackpot amount boldly displaying on a screen, do you think it has any effect on your decision to buy more tickets?

It wouldn't matter to me if Kansas did advertise the lottery aggressively. I only play the lottery when I have the money which is just once a week

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
            Member #91
            January 19, 2002
            11904 Posts
            Posted: July 14, 2007, 8:15 am - IP Logged

I've played long enough to not be influenced by marketing, however I see more marketing here on mega millions when the jackpots are at there lowest point, cause once they climb over 100 million the media takes over.

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Sunny California
              United States
              Member #40295
              May 31, 2006
              7712 Posts
              Posted: July 14, 2007, 8:23 am - IP Logged

Good question. I'm not sure about other states but we are inundated with plugs here in California. On the radio there are ads with Hawaiian music playing chirping..."Imagine what a buck could do" or other such nonsense. You can't drive by any gas station,liquor store,etc etc etc where lottery tickets are sold without a sign announcing it. On a couple of freeways here (maybe more?) huge billboards litter the landscape with the current MegaMillion and Superlotto jackpots. You can't miss them but it doesn't make me want to buy more tickets. I hate that subliminal message they try to send out through the radio waves, though. Trying to make you feel like you're on a beach and it's all yours for the taking for coughing up that one little dollar. That is not cool!

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                Member #15309
                May 13, 2005
                307 Posts
                Posted: July 14, 2007, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Good question. I'm not sure about other states but we are inundated with plugs here in California. On the radio there are ads with Hawaiian music playing chirping..."Imagine what a buck could do" or other such nonsense. You can't drive by any gas station,liquor store,etc etc etc where lottery tickets are sold without a sign announcing it. On a couple of freeways here (maybe more?) huge billboards litter the landscape with the current MegaMillion and Superlotto jackpots. You can't miss them but it doesn't make me want to buy more tickets. I hate that subliminal message they try to send out through the radio waves, though. Trying to make you feel like you're on a beach and it's all yours for the taking for coughing up that one little dollar. That is not cool!

Yes, those ads turn me off.

Sun Smiley             

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #1303
                  March 27, 2003
                  1508 Posts
                  Posted: July 14, 2007, 9:32 am - IP Logged

No.  But then I also am not influenced by any marketing/ads/commercials.  I've been around too long and seen too much of it.  Now whenever there is some spiel trying to hook me, I automatically switch to "ignore" mode. (and if its on TV I hit the "channel surf" button).

If I want something i always know where to go find it.  Marketing at me is a waste of time.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                    FEMA Region V Camp #21
                    United States
                    Member #520
                    July 27, 2002
                    5699 Posts
                    Posted: July 14, 2007, 10:44 am - IP Logged

No.  But then I also am not influenced by any marketing/ads/commercials.  I've been around too long and seen too much of it.  Now whenever there is some spiel trying to hook me, I automatically switch to "ignore" mode. (and if its on TV I hit the "channel surf" button).

If I want something i always know where to go find it.  Marketing at me is a waste of time.

Badger took the words right out of my mouth.  I don't even see their ads.  They're going to get my buck whether they advertise or not.

Coin Toss said it best...it is targeted to new players, not regulars. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                      Member #50124
                      February 26, 2007
                      601 Posts
                      Posted: July 14, 2007, 10:50 am - IP Logged

In Idaho I see Powerball ads when the jackpot gets high, like over $150 million or so.  I also occasionally see ads for scratch-offs, mainly around the holidays.  They did aggressively advertise one scratch-off, I forget what it was called, but it paid $50k for 20 years, I think.  The ads made me consider buying one, but I never did.

I just bought some tickets in Oregon and noticed printed right on the Powerball it said "If you had a Megabucks too, imagine the fun to be had if your tickets all had the winning numbers!"  And the same thing on the Megabucks ticket. 

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                        FEMA Region V Camp #21
                        United States
                        Member #520
                        July 27, 2002
                        5699 Posts
                        Posted: July 14, 2007, 10:57 am - IP Logged

In Idaho I see Powerball ads when the jackpot gets high, like over $150 million or so.  I also occasionally see ads for scratch-offs, mainly around the holidays.  They did aggressively advertise one scratch-off, I forget what it was called, but it paid $50k for 20 years, I think.  The ads made me consider buying one, but I never did.

I just bought some tickets in Oregon and noticed printed right on the Powerball it said "If you had a Megabucks too, imagine the fun to be had if your tickets all had the winning numbers!"  And the same thing on the Megabucks ticket. 

That is stupid marketing.  They should fire the guy who came up with that "brain storm".  The odds of winning both games at the same time are so astronomical that the slogan is nonsensical.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Brazil
                          Member #51781
                          April 24, 2007
                          384 Posts
                          Posted: July 14, 2007, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Not really , in the past I had numbers or sequences that were good for more than just one game . The American Powerball only need to match one ball to win , in most games if a person could match 3 to 4 balls out of 6 it would turn into a winning ticket. Like sometimes I miss some hits on Hot Lotto and Florida Mega Money. It is possible to use PowerBall numbers on other games , if it is a reduced or full combination the results would be even better!!!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                            Member #50124
                            February 26, 2007
                            601 Posts
                            Posted: July 14, 2007, 11:45 am - IP Logged

That is stupid marketing.  They should fire the guy who came up with that "brain storm".  The odds of winning both games at the same time are so astronomical that the slogan is nonsensical.

Yeah, the odds are astronomical to the 100th power, but I think it's smart marketing.  There's a current thread here about what you would do if you won a 2nd jackpot.  I think it's something many of us dream about, so why wouldn't the lottery commission tap into that dream?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: July 14, 2007, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread.  I remember when I turned on the 11:00 news one evening and the anchor man announced the New Year's Raffle saying "best odds ever."  I mean, it wasn't even an advertisement.  I guess that's considered to be news!  Then they announced that many people didn't get a chance to play so they were having another Raffle for July 4.  It just struck me in an odd way that, along with the Iraq War, the local shootings and child rapes, "buy your tickets early" for the new lottery game was reported. 

I thought of it again as I checked the FL Lottery site news releases.  I realize it's different since it is, after all, a lottery web site.  They listed every winner who made a claim in the July 4th raffle by name and location, even the $10,000 winners.  They've done this in 2 news releases so far.  I'm not sure the names appear in the local newspapers.  10 of the 12 one million dollar winners have come forward.  When I looked on other sites for similar news, I didn't find anything at all. 

In addition to the billboards, TV & radio commercials, I look at this as a form of marketing. They aren't stating it directly but it's probably to say "see if you can find your neighbor on this list" or "is one of the towns near you? maybe next time!"  If I won $10,000 there are a couple of people on my block I wouldn't want to know about it.  If I won $100,000 - I'd move anyway!