Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Would Be An Ideal Lottery?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 9 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

How would you design a lottery game and what would the minimum jackpot be?

Make it a world wide lottery [ 1 ]  [5.00%]
Make it a national lottery [ 3 ]  [15.00%]
Make it a Continental Lottery [ 1 ]  [5.00%]
Design it along the lines of the El Gordo [ 1 ]  [5.00%]
Design it like Euro Lotto [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Design like another lotto with changes (specify) [ 3 ]  [15.00%]
There is no ideal lottery [ 11 ]  [55.00%]
Start in another country besides USA (specify) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 20 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: July 16, 2007, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

If I had input in designing a lottery, I would make it a worldwide lottery with proceeds going to benefit victims of natural diasters.  It would be kinda like El Gordo and a bit of the raffles we have in the USA, with the big annual drawing in December.   The specifications:

1. There would be a weekly drawing with the minimum jackpot being $25,000,000.00.  If the jackpot is NOT won, it would increase by $10,000,000.00 a week until the first week of the next month.  If there is no level one (jackpot winner) the prize rolls down back to $25,000,000.00.  The amount it rolled up to and not won would go into two pools; the monthly drawing pool and the annual drawing pool.  25% of the total jackpot would go to the monthly pool and 75% would go to the annual pool.  A weekly ticket would cost $5.00 per play.
  2. There would also be the monthly jackpot which would be a minimum of $35,000,000.00 plus whatever rolled over from the weekly drawings.  If no monthly winner, then 100% of that month's prize would go into the annual pool. A monthly ticket would cost $20.00 per play.
  3. The annual pool is guaranteed to be at least $500,000,000.00 minimum.  The annual ticket would cost $50.00 per play with guaranteed winner(s).
    justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: July 17, 2007, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I would keep exactly what FL has now except I would change the matrix back to 6/49.  I don't like the idea of a lottery run by the Federal Government.  I'm satisfied with the "smaller" jackpots with better odds.

A worldwide lottery would be too complicated IMHO.  Anyway, to me it would never be a real international game, since there are too many countries where just one dollar can be the difference between life or death, where the average annual income is less than $1,000.  There are already enough poor people spending their paychecks on the lottery.

It would be nice if there were all sorts of lotteries where the money was used for housing and feeding the poor, but IMHO that's too idealistic.  There's enough money and food already to feed most of the world.  It just doesn't get to them because of politics.  I think it's a wonderful idea, but wouldn't it be easier to just send the money to one of the many responsible organizations that already provide disaster relief?  

I guess I didn't answer your question but, in brief, I don't think we need any more lotteries.  If someone believes that a raffle can help build homes (and it probably can in some way) then it should probably be privately run by a reliable philanthropy, not politicians. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10344 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2007, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Good points, Justxploring.

mylollipop

You have some good sounding ideas, but unfortunately they would come under the "once upon a time" category.

Lotteries are set up and conducted to benefit the state and the lottery (and the private corporation running the lottery if that is the case), NOT FOR the benefit of the players.

A minute number of players get lucky and hit jackpots, but the players are just a necessary entity to keep the machine going, and it's a money making machine. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Honduras
        Member #20982
        August 29, 2005
        4715 Posts
        Posted: July 18, 2007, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

Great question... 

Well i got lots of ideal lotteries but i am going to mention 2...I'll be happy the day my country, Panama has a lottery that pay millions, something like 10 million dollars and that it will play every 2 weeks...It will have to cost 2 dollars for it to get to that amount for the total population of Panama is 3 million...

The next thing will be a Continental Lottery (the Americas continent), one that will pay 25 million dollars at least, and will cost 1 DOLLAR...It should play every 2 weeks...Or 15 million dollars and it play every week...But something that is very important..It should cost 1 dollar...This continental lottery should never climb, it should always pay 15 million or 25 million..This is why Europe is always ahead of everyone because they take risk and they take the initiative...If you notice Europe has a Continental Lottery, and the Americas continent does not have a Continental lottery...What i like about this continental lottery is that it will carry the American name..It will be called: "American Lottery" or "Loteria Americana" or "Loteria de las Americas"....But i think it will be more "Loteria Americana"...

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
          Member #24380
          October 21, 2005
          623 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2007, 2:45 am - IP Logged

Good points, Justxploring.

mylollipop

You have some good sounding ideas, but unfortunately they would come under the "once upon a time" category.

Lotteries are set up and conducted to benefit the state and the lottery (and the private corporation running the lottery if that is the case), NOT FOR the benefit of the players.

A minute number of players get lucky and hit jackpots, but the players are just a necessary entity to keep the machine going, and it's a money making machine. 

I Agree! "Once Upon A Time", just felt good to dream it anyway.

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2007, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

My  IDEAL lottery would be the one I win !!!!!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: July 19, 2007, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

I say national.

Gonna win.Big Smile

brooklyn
                United States
                Member #53356
                July 4, 2007
                11 Posts
                Posted: July 20, 2007, 12:01 am - IP Logged

How about a lottery where the prizes wouldn't be cash, but material prizes instead? It could be any lottery or even an instant scratch off ticket. With the instant ticket, you can scratch off for a chance to win a car or a new home, and smaller prizes could range from an air conditioner, a tv set, an Ipod, etc. It would also serve as a source for advertising for the vendors. Not sure how it would work with the government lottery though. Maybe it could be a totally different type of lottery, not one that is run by the state? I think it'd be fun and different, and I sure would play it!

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: July 20, 2007, 1:05 am - IP Logged

How about a lottery where the prizes wouldn't be cash, but material prizes instead? It could be any lottery or even an instant scratch off ticket. With the instant ticket, you can scratch off for a chance to win a car or a new home, and smaller prizes could range from an air conditioner, a tv set, an Ipod, etc. It would also serve as a source for advertising for the vendors. Not sure how it would work with the government lottery though. Maybe it could be a totally different type of lottery, not one that is run by the state? I think it'd be fun and different, and I sure would play it!

I thought about that idea too but the thing is that such a lottery will mean that it will have to be easier and i don't think the state likes that...I had envisioned that if private lotteries were in effect today you will see such lotteries operating...A lottery i know it will generate so much buzz is a car lottery, a lottery that gives a car as a jackpot..But i think it should be a 15-17 thousand dollar car..I'll like to know the lottery configuration such lotteries will have it they were in effect...I am guessing something like a pick4/15 for a DVD player lottery or a pick6/18 for a computer lottery...I sure will like to see a computer lottery more than anything else..But i'll like to see a computer lottery just like the state of Virginia's Cash5 with an aggreggate money amount...

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8359 Posts
                    Posted: July 20, 2007, 1:40 am - IP Logged

materialistic prizes would carry a tax burden some people couldn't afford imagine winning a house worth 500,000 grand and having to pay tax on that house.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      Westerose
                      Canada
                      Member #52915
                      June 15, 2007
                      189 Posts
                      Posted: July 20, 2007, 2:02 am - IP Logged

They have those all over Canada.... the prizes are tax free. Grand Prize usually is a House Cash Car deal and they usually are for Hospitals Charities and such. However the Tickets are often $100 and limited.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: July 20, 2007, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

They have those all over Canada.... the prizes are tax free. Grand Prize usually is a House Cash Car deal and they usually are for Hospitals Charities and such. However the Tickets are often $100 and limited.

A hundred dollars for 1 ticket? My gosh...If is 100 dollars for 1 ticket is then not a lottery but i think a  raffle..I don't know this people are not realistic when they set the price of 1 ticket at 100 dollars..Such price is only for a selected few in society that can afford it..Then they say that i am not a realistic person but look who has the price at 100 dollars a ticket...I mean if it was part of a clan i understand, something like a secret society..This people are not realistic that people have to pay GAS, FOOD, CREDIT CARD DEBTS, KID'S SCHOOL LUNCH, ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC..They are totally not realistic...One thing i hate the most is when people/bussinesses put profit before people's necessities/interests...

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: July 28, 2007, 4:47 am - IP Logged

Also an ideal lottery would be a lottery like W.Virginia's Cash25 but with bigger aggreggate amount...Right now the aggregate amount for WVirginia's Cash25 is 250K...But we have to look at something the population of WVa is 2 million while a country like Poland 40 million, a game like that in Poland will certainly fluorish...And because the national currency is lower than the dollar it can cost less, perhaps 50 cents...And since there is not a lot of your taxes taken in europe as it is in the states, there is chance the winner will go with a sizeable amount home and not with half the jackpot...And because the population of Poland is bigger than WVa, they can give themselves the luxury of having more money as an aggreggate amount, they can afford to play the game everyday as opposed to 4 times a week in WVa, and they can afford to play it perhaps twice a day if successful...I'll like to see this game in every European country including Russia, & in East Asia first, the world will follow after)....In a country-island like the Phillipines with 94 million people they can give themselves the luxury of starting a Cash25 game like i describe above, at a price of 25 cents and played 3 times a day...Each draw having like 3 million aggreggate money amount...

To me that's an Ideal Lottery....The question is will they do it...

"The Truth is Out There"                      from movie "The X-Files"