Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 2:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions and Powerball's Less than Exciting Jackpots

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DoubleDown.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
MissNYC's avatar - diva
Westchester, New York
United States
Member #49345
January 27, 2007
168 Posts
Posted: July 24, 2007, 11:44 am - IP Logged

I've been noticing a trend lately. The Mega Millions and Powerball lotteries are often advertised with having the potential to have very large pots. Don't get me wrong, 50 million, to me, is a large pot, but what happened to the 200 and 300 million dollar jackpots that we used to see more often a few years back? Has anyone else noticed that these lotteries barely break 100 million lately, whereas a few years ago, we'd at least see the larger jackpots a few times a year. The last time the Mega Millions grew was back in March, but that was it for over a year at that point. I was just wondering what the reason may be if the odds are  truly not in our favor.

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19903 Posts
    Posted: July 24, 2007, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Many have said they would like to see more players win and share the wealth and that's what's happening.  Players who for years supported the games when their jackpots were low are starting to win and that's good because without them there could never be any large jackpots.  Those players who can only get excited about a $100M+ jackpot will just have to wait while the players who enjoy the games at all levels do their thing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3502 Posts
      Posted: July 24, 2007, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

Lotteries are all about being statistically average, and in the long run it will all average out. A run of bigger jackpots can only be more common if there are also periods when smaller jackpots are more common.

For MM there are just over 175 million possible combinations, so we should expect 1 winner for every 175 million tickets that are sold. With about 30 cents from each ticket going to the jackpot we could expect that jackpots would average about $56 million for the cash option. Over the last year there have been 14 MM winners (13 jackpots), totaling $1.339 billion, and averaging $95.6 million for the annuity value. With the cash value running at about  58% of the advertised annuity value the average cash jackpot over the past year would be $55.4 million. The only thing odd about that is that the actual resuts are so close to what cold be expected as an average.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23352 Posts
        Posted: July 24, 2007, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

md
          United States
          Member #14047
          April 20, 2005
          580 Posts
          Posted: July 24, 2007, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

I've been noticing a trend lately. The Mega Millions and Powerball lotteries are often advertised with having the potential to have very large pots. Don't get me wrong, 50 million, to me, is a large pot, but what happened to the 200 and 300 million dollar jackpots that we used to see more often a few years back? Has anyone else noticed that these lotteries barely break 100 million lately, whereas a few years ago, we'd at least see the larger jackpots a few times a year. The last time the Mega Millions grew was back in March, but that was it for over a year at that point. I was just wondering what the reason may be if the odds are  truly not in our favor.

MissNYC

I raised this same discussion about a month and half ago.  I would love to win a $7million jackpot or a $300,000,000 million Jackpot.  I can only speak for me, but it was a large $240,000,000 jackpot that got me interested.  For some people the thrill of a $200,000,000 -$300,000,000 is an attraction and makes the bets more interesting.  Thats not so for others.  Some it doesnt matter.

I hope we see a $300,000,000 jackpot before September 1, 2007.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19903 Posts
            Posted: July 24, 2007, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

MegaMillions jackpot is at $44M(Cash $25M) tonight, but I'm planning to buy $20 worth of tickets anyway.  I figure if I win the $44M tonight there's nothing stopping me from playing again if I want to win more.  There's not wrong with winning $300M by winning several smaller jackpots.

Evil Looking       

Bronx,New York
              United States
              Member #53614
              July 13, 2007
              14 Posts
              Posted: July 24, 2007, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

thats easy to answer when someone wins the jackpot its not the lottery's fault that they won.....its the players ability to select #'s that allowed him or her to win the jackpot,however if the jacpot is won, it goes back down. and the jacpot wont go up until more drawings have taken place if someone has not won i the jackpot in lets say 2-3 months,then you can expect to be playing for 200-300 milion,but remember if someone wins that 200-300 milion thats when you have to expect that jackpot prize to go back down to about 12 million for the next drawing.Try Mega ball #46 the next time you play...its the most overdue megaball.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5587 Posts
                Posted: July 24, 2007, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

MegaMillions jackpot is at $44M(Cash $25M) tonight, but I'm planning to buy $20 worth of tickets anyway.  I figure if I win the $44M tonight there's nothing stopping me from playing again if I want to win more.  There's not wrong with winning $300M by winning several smaller jackpots.

RJ your logic is pure.

I would be content with a $50K to $600K jackpot to get some spare change to play a little heavier on the jackpot games.  Now,  I spend more proportionately on the lesser jackpot games for the better odds, if I hit a 5 of 5 or 6 of 6 on one these games I will ramp up the Power and Mega expenditures.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19903 Posts
                  Posted: July 26, 2007, 1:03 am - IP Logged

RJ your logic is pure.

I would be content with a $50K to $600K jackpot to get some spare change to play a little heavier on the jackpot games.  Now,  I spend more proportionately on the lesser jackpot games for the better odds, if I hit a 5 of 5 or 6 of 6 on one these games I will ramp up the Power and Mega expenditures.

My logic was pure but flawed and it had me spending $20 and winning nothing, so I put $20 on Ohio Classic Lotto(6/49) today and matched 4 for $70 so I'll be ready to try MM again Friday for $55M.

I don't usually play OCL because it's a new game and I've been lucky to match 3 for $2 with 20 lines when I've played before but I had a hunch and wanted to test if the bias I've been introducing into my prediction program was working against me more than it was helping me.  The overall odds of matching 3 or better are 1:54 and previous winning combinations had done that when compared with the other winning combinations excluding the times they matched 6 and the combinations I picked hadn't done as well so I adjusted the rules.  I will be making some similar adjustments for Friday's picks.

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                    Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5587 Posts
                    Posted: July 26, 2007, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

My logic was pure but flawed and it had me spending $20 and winning nothing, so I put $20 on Ohio Classic Lotto(6/49) today and matched 4 for $70 so I'll be ready to try MM again Friday for $55M.

I don't usually play OCL because it's a new game and I've been lucky to match 3 for $2 with 20 lines when I've played before but I had a hunch and wanted to test if the bias I've been introducing into my prediction program was working against me more than it was helping me.  The overall odds of matching 3 or better are 1:54 and previous winning combinations had done that when compared with the other winning combinations excluding the times they matched 6 and the combinations I picked hadn't done as well so I adjusted the rules.  I will be making some similar adjustments for Friday's picks.

Good hit! 

Rules were meant to be broken, especially when it comes to the lottery.  Good luck tomorrow on the Mega.  I am expecting a centrally focused draw, something along the lines of 3/6/07, 3/27/07, 4/3, 5/18 draws. LOL (lots of luck) jarasan

LOL ((at least that is what I thought it meant on this forum but according to Netlingo it means laughing out loud or lots of love))

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1958 Posts
                      Posted: July 26, 2007, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

I hope you realize that the LOTTERY is a one of a kind game. Think about it. You got a game where all you have to do is spend $1 for a ticket at a chance to become a millionaire overnight. A chance to be able to retire and do all the things you want to do. So whether it's a $15 million jackpot or a $300 million jackpot, your life will be changed in an instant. I would be perfectly happy winning a $15 million jackpot.Smile

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: August 2, 2007, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

I hope that PB and MM continues to roll and set a new USA jackpot record. Just this year, MM set a new USA jackpot record of 390 million surpassing the 365 million set by PB.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                          nashville
                          United States
                          Member #49896
                          February 18, 2007
                          1181 Posts
                          Posted: August 2, 2007, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

I hope you realize that the LOTTERY is a one of a kind game. Think about it. You got a game where all you have to do is spend $1 for a ticket at a chance to become a millionaire overnight. A chance to be able to retire and do all the things you want to do. So whether it's a $15 million jackpot or a $300 million jackpot, your life will be changed in an instant. I would be perfectly happy winning a $15 million jackpot.Smile

I Agree!

Coastal Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #2653
                            October 30, 2003
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: August 2, 2007, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Count me in with the others that say whether it's 7 million or 350 million, I would be very very happy !!