Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can you Color Code in Excel?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Rakster.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Rakster's avatar - praying hands.jpg
Saskatchewan
Canada
Member #19992
August 9, 2005
2867 Posts
Posted: July 24, 2007, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

What I mean is, is it possible to have your numbers show up in a certain color when applied.

This is what I am trying to do...

100100010001#####010

In my spreadsheet I have a chart.. the number (100) is shown with 3 different ways it can hit 100, 010, 001 ... On the right side you see #### and 010

Is it possible to get that 010 to turn say Green when the 100 is entered on the left without the ##### turning green too.  But once that particular # is entered into the #### area it too will change.  I want the ###### to stay black and have any logged number turn color when entered.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Confused... so am I...hahaha

We are all Lucky... just some of us don't realize it!

Griffin GA
    United States
    Member #47482
    November 6, 2006
    76 Posts
    Posted: July 25, 2007, 12:01 am - IP Logged

if you change the color at the format tab

Saskatchewan
      Canada
      Member #19992
      August 9, 2005
      2867 Posts
      Posted: July 25, 2007, 12:16 am - IP Logged

if you change the color at the format tab

I don't think you understand my question.  I only want the number to be colored once its called not before.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: July 25, 2007, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

You want "Conditional Formatting"

you can't find it in the right-click menu, it's up on the format menu. It allows you to specify either a new background color for the cell, a new font color or both if up to 3 different conditions are met.

use Excel help, it explains the process well enough to get you going.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: July 25, 2007, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Heh, I always forget the non-macro way to do these things. Cool I haven't used that feature in ages.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
            Stone Mountain*Georgia
            United States
            Member #828
            November 2, 2002
            10491 Posts
            Posted: July 26, 2007, 11:03 am - IP Logged

What I mean is, is it possible to have your numbers show up in a certain color when applied.

This is what I am trying to do...

100100010001#####010

In my spreadsheet I have a chart.. the number (100) is shown with 3 different ways it can hit 100, 010, 001 ... On the right side you see #### and 010

Is it possible to get that 010 to turn say Green when the 100 is entered on the left without the ##### turning green too.  But once that particular # is entered into the #### area it too will change.  I want the ###### to stay black and have any logged number turn color when entered.

I hope someone can help me with this.

Confused... so am I...hahaha

Rakster....  are you going to try to color code each of the 6 ways....and the 3 way doubles? If thats it... Great idea. 

I was just thinking of using numbers .... 100 (1.)  001 (2.)  010 (3.)  .....etc. 

Wanted to see the 6 ways more than doubles..... because it's an even number of WAYS....  then I could watch for many odds in a row....or Highs....etc.  You know.... 

Color would give us a great visual cue ..... many green or Red ...etc. in a row.... or LACK there of.

Having these numbers(high/low/odd/even) and Color code too .....    that would be real good.  

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d    

Florida
              United States
              Member #51537
              April 13, 2007
              29 Posts
              Posted: July 29, 2007, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Hi Rakster,

I think you can do what you want using "conditional formatting" under the format drop down menu.  You specify the cellls it applies to and can select the condition, e.g. equal to, greater than, etc. Then you put in the vaule the cell would be equal to or whatever.  Then you go to font and choose a color.  It then will do it for you automatically.

Good Luck,

Terry

Saskatchewan
                Canada
                Member #19992
                August 9, 2005
                2867 Posts
                Posted: July 30, 2007, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Hi Rakster,

I think you can do what you want using "conditional formatting" under the format drop down menu.  You specify the cellls it applies to and can select the condition, e.g. equal to, greater than, etc. Then you put in the vaule the cell would be equal to or whatever.  Then you go to font and choose a color.  It then will do it for you automatically.

Good Luck,

Terry

Thanks for the info guys... muchly appreciated!