Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If Your Child Hit The Lottery, What Would You Do?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 10 years ago by rundown99.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #53831
July 22, 2007
3 Posts
Posted: July 25, 2007, 5:02 pm - IP Logged
I believe if my son or daughter hit the lottery it would only draw us closer together because we are already a close knit family. We do everything together and that would only make things better. I don't believe our relationship would change because we have more money.
    RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19904 Posts
    Posted: July 25, 2007, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

"I don't believe our relationship would change because we have more money."

The minute you start thinking of what you child or any other family member owns as ours, you got a problem.  Nothing breaks up a good relationship faster than one of the persons thinking what is owned by the other belongs to both.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

JAP69's avatar - alas
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #6
      November 4, 2001
      8797 Posts
      Posted: July 25, 2007, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

The minute you start thinking of what you child or any other family member owns as ours, you got a problem.  Nothing breaks up a good relationship faster than one of the persons thinking what is owned by the other belongs to both.

I Agree!

Oo'Ka

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1958 Posts
        Posted: July 25, 2007, 7:05 pm - IP Logged
        I believe if my son or daughter hit the lottery it would only draw us closer together because we are already a close knit family. We do everything together and that would only make things better. I don't believe our relationship would change because we have more money.

[QUOTE]I don't believe our relationship would change because we have more money.[/QUOTE]

Although I'm not rejecting your statement that you and your children are close, you shouldn't assume that any money that belongs to them, also belongs to you. In fact, even if they win the lottery, you shouldn't have any expectations about the amount of money you will receive. You will receive what they give you and you should be happy with whatever it is. So a question you should ask yourself is "Would my relationship with my child(whichever one happens to win the lottery) change because HE/SHE has more money?".

Gonna win.Big Smile

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5146 Posts
          Posted: July 25, 2007, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

bigdee66:

RJOH.......jest gave some good advice for FREE to U & ALL.......!!!!!!

BUTT,......and all know their is always a BUTT, somewhere out DARE

so maby, jest, maby U & ALL kids would like to make-up & sign aH

little agreement & get it wittnessed an notorized.....................!!!!!!

WE ALL AGREE the purpose of this agreement is to GUARANTEE all

member's of this family will be happy in the event one of the kids

or one of the parents.......HIT it BIG in a JACKPOT lottery now or

forever, as long as either of the children or parents.... EXIST in this

world and the agreement shall and cannot be REVOLKED for any

reason...........reasons ordered by any man or courts in this world.

WE therefore, ALL AGREE that if a parent hits the lottery first, HE

or SHE will give ALL the winnings to each child EQUALILY>>>>>>

BUTT, if anyone of the children should win the lottery before the

parents, then this child will give ALL the winnings to each parent

EQUALILY>>>>>>

PSYKOMO

(jest want to keep the FAMILY>>>HAPPY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)

great ???? bigdee66>>>>>>> GO for the JACKPOT !!

PartyPartyWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceLoviesArgue

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8396 Posts
            Posted: July 25, 2007, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

I knew a guy he was getting up in age when he won the lottery he has spoken with his daughter and they decided to get an annuity in her name, he had stipulated to her that he was doing this so both of them could live comfortably for some time. She was to make sure that she took care of him split the annuity. No contracts were drawn. She claimed the annuity.

On day he came home for lunch and she was gone hasn't seen or heard from her since.

This was a loving daughter all the way up to a point in time where she must have felt a need to be free from the grips of family life.

Where money is concerned especially a large sum of it no one knows what will happen after a win.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: July 25, 2007, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Ditto.

Not quite the lottery, but I have a cousin whose father (my Uncle) passed away in 1998.

He was about 75, she is 45, and when he died, all-of-a-sudden ANOTHER daughter the guy had - one that nobody in the entire family knew even existed - one that (apparently) he had not seen since she was 6 months old - showed up to claim half of his estate.  She got it - and promptly disappeared again, nobody has seen or heard from her, but she apparently had proof he was her father.

She was born in Germany and lives in Texas, and somehow kept up on where my Uncle was, but there has to be more to the story than we know about. 

When there is money involved - especially a large amount - expect problems to come out of the woodwork - some you would have never even dreamed of. 

**************************************************************************************************************

If I won the lottery, what would my children do ?

They would expect a free ride for the rest of their lives, but I would make sure that wouldn't happen. We don't need more Lindsey Lohans and Paris Hiltons. 

It would not pull us together, it would push us further apart. 

United States
                Member #1826
                July 11, 2003
                2645 Posts
                Posted: July 25, 2007, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Ask my dad, he's the one with the children.

(insert signature here)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19904 Posts
                  Posted: July 26, 2007, 1:27 am - IP Logged

Also if a parent remarries or a child gets married, their spouse may own half of what they have.  This also creates hard feelings when the family member sees the spouse (a stranger to them) part owner of what they think is theirs.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5146 Posts
                    Posted: July 26, 2007, 1:51 am - IP Logged

bigdee66:

RJOH.......jest gave some good advice for FREE to U & ALL.......!!!!!!

BUTT,......and all know their is always a BUTT, somewhere out DARE

so maby, jest, maby U & ALL kids would like to make-up & sign aH

little agreement & get it wittnessed an notorized.....................!!!!!!

WE ALL AGREE the purpose of this agreement is to GUARANTEE all

member's of this family will be happy in the event one of the kids

or one of the parents.......HIT it BIG in a JACKPOT lottery now or

forever, as long as either of the children or parents.... EXIST in this

world and the agreement shall and cannot be REVOLKED for any

reason...........reasons ordered by any man or courts in this world.

WE therefore, ALL AGREE that if a parent hits the lottery first, HE

or SHE will give ALL the winnings to each child EQUALILY>>>>>>

BUTT, if anyone of the children should win the lottery before the

parents, then this child will give ALL the winnings to each parent

EQUALILY>>>>>>

PSYKOMO

(jest want to keep the FAMILY>>>HAPPY^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)

great ???? bigdee66>>>>>>> GO for the JACKPOT !!

PartyPartyWhite BounceWhite BounceWhite BounceLoviesArgue

bigdee66:

BeWare that PSYKOMO is really crazy ^^^^^^^ and cannot<<<

practice LAW in any state of the USA   ^^^^^^^ wishes YOU  &

your LOVELY FAMILY............................  ^^^^^^^ JackPot$$

$OON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ^^^^^^^ $$$$$$$$$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO 

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                      Member #567
                      August 14, 2002
                      485 Posts
                      Posted: July 26, 2007, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

The only solution is to be anonymous (Go to an anonymous state, such as DE/KS/ND/MD or obtain anonymity in NH/OH/OK using a trust and tell NO ONE.  Otherwise, relatives you never knew existed would appear out of nowhere.  Oh my God, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to win $15 million and the whole nation knew that I won.  Believe me, I would definitely form a trust and remain anonymous.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!