Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone watch E! True Hollywood Story: Curse of the Lottery show?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 9 years ago by MissNYC.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Washington,Michigan
United States
Member #11416
February 13, 2005
639 Posts
Posted: July 27, 2007, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Did anyone watch E! True Hollywood story: THS Investigates: Curse of the Lottery?

Was there any lp member on that show?

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: July 27, 2007, 11:02 am - IP Logged

I saw the show recently-

It featured our buddy Jack Whittaker, David Edwards, and William " Bud " Post .

No LP members that we know of. Bud is deceased, David is in jail or on his way there, and ol Jack is.....well, who knows !

Washington,Michigan
      United States
      Member #11416
      February 13, 2005
      639 Posts
      Posted: July 27, 2007, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Should they have a show like that one? Not the Curse of the Lottery but how winning the lottery change your life. How you took your money and give it to other that need it. Then it would be cool if they have like member from this site interview. Like how the site help them win really big.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: July 27, 2007, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Should they have a show like that one? Not the Curse of the Lottery but how winning the lottery change your life. How you took your money and give it to other that need it. Then it would be cool if they have like member from this site interview. Like how the site help them win really big.

'give it to others that need it' ?????????

I would not assume anyone would do that - not that they won't - but I'd never assume everyone would. 

Columbia City, Indiana
          United States
          Member #2978
          December 9, 2003
          381 Posts
          Posted: July 27, 2007, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

Actually, a LotteryPost member was featured on that show; his name is Robert Sehested, but he's known here on the forum as Bob21456.

Bob won $500,000 in the MegaMillions game, and a clerk tried to steal it from him.

The clerk at Bob's regular lottery stop had checked his ticket for him, and he told Bob that he had won four or five dollars (I can't remember, but I think he was paid four bucks). The clerk took the ticket and tried to cash it, but he couldn't answer ANY of the security questions. The lottery smelled something and called the police, so your guess is as good as mine how this crook was caught (Don't give the cops too much credit in this case; when confronted with the security video, the kid confessed right away).  

The kid went to court just a month or two ago, and was sentenced to 5 years.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Washington,Michigan
            United States
            Member #11416
            February 13, 2005
            639 Posts
            Posted: July 27, 2007, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

He got two second place winning because I don't think you can get $500,000 in one ticket right. See how people would do like anything for money. http://www.thecamarilloacorn.com/news/2006/0407/Front_Page/006.html

Baton Rouge, LA
              United States
              Member #4602
              May 7, 2004
              700 Posts
              Posted: July 28, 2007, 11:01 am - IP Logged

Actually, a LotteryPost member was featured on that show; his name is Robert Sehested, but he's known here on the forum as Bob21456.

Bob won $500,000 in the MegaMillions game, and a clerk tried to steal it from him.

The clerk at Bob's regular lottery stop had checked his ticket for him, and he told Bob that he had won four or five dollars (I can't remember, but I think he was paid four bucks). The clerk took the ticket and tried to cash it, but he couldn't answer ANY of the security questions. The lottery smelled something and called the police, so your guess is as good as mine how this crook was caught (Don't give the cops too much credit in this case; when confronted with the security video, the kid confessed right away).  

The kid went to court just a month or two ago, and was sentenced to 5 years.

I'm glad this guy is going down for what he did.  Serves him right.

This kind of nonsense is the reason I always check my own tickets against either the lottery website or the lottery information telelphone line.  Powerball puts the numbers up at Powerball.com almost immediately after the drawing while Louisiana has the Lotto numbers up by the next morning.  In addition, Louisiana also has an online Lottery club which will email the winning numbers to the player daily.

It's terrible you can't trust anyone these days, but that's the world we live in.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: July 28, 2007, 11:33 am - IP Logged

I have not watched television in a while, but I would never watch one of those shows anyway.  To me, winning a lot of money would never be a "curse" but a true blessing.  A curse is an affliction and something that brings evil & unhappiness to others.  The people who screw up their lives after hitting a jackpot are only doing it to themselves.  Money is only a curse when you don't know what to do with it or how to manage your life.  Take a $20 bill out of your wallet.  Stare at it.  It's just a piece of paper.  So even if you multiply that times a million, it can't talk, think, or make decisions.

MissNYC's avatar - diva
                  Westchester, New York
                  United States
                  Member #49345
                  January 27, 2007
                  168 Posts
                  Posted: July 29, 2007, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I think a reality show documenting the first year after someone's BIG win would do very well, and I speak from the field of entertainment. It would also help if the person was young, at least in their 20s or 30s, and somewhat attractive, but either way it would be interesting. And when I say BIG win, I mean anything over 50 mil as a lump sum. I'm from NY, and in my neck of the woods, everyone has a million bucks, so that wouldn't really be good tv.

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7344 Posts
                    Posted: July 29, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

I don't know the actual figures but it sure seems like most of the jackpot winners bought QPs and if somebody needs help buying QPs, they probably shouldn't be playing. How does discussing "How will you spend the money?" or gossiping about how others spend their money help anybody "win really big"?

"How you took your money and give it to other that need it."

We've all read about the big depression in the 30s and heard the saying "Brother, can you spare me a dime" but now it looks like people want to change it to "Brother can you spare me a million".

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7344 Posts
                      Posted: July 29, 2007, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

I think a reality show documenting the first year after someone's BIG win would do very well, and I speak from the field of entertainment. It would also help if the person was young, at least in their 20s or 30s, and somewhat attractive, but either way it would be interesting. And when I say BIG win, I mean anything over 50 mil as a lump sum. I'm from NY, and in my neck of the woods, everyone has a million bucks, so that wouldn't really be good tv.

Are there so many people clued to their TV sets while the talking heads on CNN, Fox or MSNBC talk about Paris Hilton, Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan's alcohol and substance abuse that the networks decided we now need a show "A Year in the Life of a Lottery Jackpot Winner"?

But they could change that commercial where that nice young mother tells Vinnie she has to block his TV show because she doesn't want her children to see the violence to her telling Big Jack (the PowerBall winner) she doesn't want her kids watching him going into a nudie bar.

MissNYC's avatar - diva
                        Westchester, New York
                        United States
                        Member #49345
                        January 27, 2007
                        168 Posts
                        Posted: July 30, 2007, 1:03 am - IP Logged

Are there so many people clued to their TV sets while the talking heads on CNN, Fox or MSNBC talk about Paris Hilton, Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan's alcohol and substance abuse that the networks decided we now need a show "A Year in the Life of a Lottery Jackpot Winner"?

But they could change that commercial where that nice young mother tells Vinnie she has to block his TV show because she doesn't want her children to see the violence to her telling Big Jack (the PowerBall winner) she doesn't want her kids watching him going into a nudie bar.

Wow I guess you are a "glass is half empty" kind of person. It's interesting that you would automatically assume that the person would be a train wreck, why is that? Money is a blessing, in the right hands. Perhaps if a young 20-something-year-old with a good head on her shoulders and self-respect won a large jackpot, she could serve as an example of a "lady" and serve as a long awaited role model. And again, I think train wreck or not, this country loves money and loves to watch people with money spend money. The notion that an ordinary person has just hit it big would be a subject of interest to a whole lot of people and I think a show that illustrated that would be a huge hit on VH1, E, or even MTV. You could talk it down all you want, but those networks know what they're doing. They may not show the shows we all admit to like, but they show the shows many of us watch.

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

Grand Rapids, Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #53008
                          June 19, 2007
                          67 Posts
                          Posted: July 30, 2007, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Did anyone watch E! True Hollywood story: THS Investigates: Curse of the Lottery?

Was there any lp member on that show?

I'd like to see this show.  Does anyone know when it will re-air?

Washington,Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #11416
                            February 13, 2005
                            639 Posts
                            Posted: July 30, 2007, 9:27 pm - IP Logged
                              time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: July 30, 2007, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

I think only Vinnie's watch made it into that commercial. Shocked

Cool...an' I want you t' have it ... no..no..c'mere.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.