Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Futility

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Do you sometimes think that it's just futile to keep playing for the big one?

NO [ 13 ]  [24.53%]
YES [ 19 ]  [35.85%]
MAYBE [ 2 ]  [3.77%]
To think this way is negative [ 5 ]  [9.43%]
It's not hurting me financially [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I'm doing just fine [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
This is my only hope in getting out of the ra race [ 8 ]  [15.09%]
To me, it's just a hobby [ 1 ]  [1.89%]
This poll stinks [ 5 ]  [9.43%]
Other [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 53 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
Florence, Alabama
United States
Member #8658
November 13, 2004
1993 Posts
Posted: August 1, 2007, 11:40 am - IP Logged

I agree with the "gotta be in it to win it" mentality.  It only costs a buck for some good daydreams during the day.  When I get discouraged I go back to the day when two co-workers told me I was wasting my time and money.  I have yet to prove them wrong and that gives me all the more impetus for playing the next drawing.

I'm reading through posts and replying now. I agree with this post too. I had co-workers the same way then after a couple of wins they started asking me for numbers. I asked them if it was a waste for me to play why do you need my numbers???

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: August 1, 2007, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

Thanx all for responding.

I made this poll to show how high the odds really are without saying it literally. I'm generally a positive person, yet there's always something nagging at me when I even have the slightest possibility of a flaw. I know...I'm thinking too much, but I can't help it, that's the way I am.

Here in Florida, the lightning capital of the world....literally, there is a one in seven million chance of being struck by lightning.

The lotto is about one in 23 million. You have a better chance at getting hit by lightning, 3 times over...LOL

Of course, the wise truly know that if you don't play at all, you will have zero chance to win. But is that a genuine consolation prize?

I'm looking at it like this.

If you had 100 years of analysis material which sorted out the winners from the losers, estimating the cost/profit figures, I could make an educated guess that .09 percent actually make money in the long run.

How many players are there? And how many winners are there? Just do the math, don't take my word for it. We all know the answer, and that's what I think I was getting at.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5587 Posts
      Posted: August 1, 2007, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Actually it's worse,

ODDS OF BECOMING A LIGHTNING VICTIM
      U.S. 2000 Census population280,000,000
      Odds of being struck by lightning in a given year (reported deaths + injuries)1/700,000
      Odds of being struck by lightning in a given year (estimated total deaths + injuries)1/400,000
      Odds of being struck in your lifetime (Est. 80 years)1/5000
      Odds you will be affected by someone being struck (Ten people affected for every one struck)1/500

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/medical.htm

Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5587 Posts
        Posted: August 1, 2007, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Actually it's worse,

Odds of being struck by lightning in a given year (reported deaths + injuries)1/700,000
        Odds of being struck by lightning in a given year (estimated total deaths + injuries)1/400,000
        Odds you will be affected by someone being struck (Ten people affected for every one struck)1/500

This is good:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast05dec_1.htm

Not related to this article but there are some scientists studying the theory that what initiates the lightning strike are high energy cosmic particles that make it into the upper atmosphere from space, specifically gamma, cosmic rays.  Also it is speculated (but very diffcult to measure) the lightning strike produces X-rays.

This is what Aerosmith thinks about the entire subject:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OnH7KnOyZks&feature=PlayList&p=E1AA0489959FD63A&index=27

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19900 Posts
          Posted: August 1, 2007, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

"If you had 100 years of analysis material which sorted out the winners from the losers, estimating the cost/profit figures, I could make an educated guess that .09 percent actually make money in the long run.

How many players are there? And how many winners are there? Just do the math, don't take my word for it. We all know the answer, and that's what I think I was getting at."

It can't be any other way, the states have lotteries to make money and lotteries have to be self supporting.  Where do you think the states get their money and the money they pay the winners?  The losers.  The whole system works because there are millions of losers.  When the winners get paid a million dollars, the states make a million dollars too and who pay for it?  Two million losers.  Chances are if you're participating a lottery you're one of the many losers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: August 1, 2007, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Playing the lottery: not futile.

Trying to win a race against Ra's sun chariot: futile

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #1340
              April 6, 2003
              2450 Posts
              Posted: August 1, 2007, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

to me it's just a hobby... but none of my other hobbys have a chance of making me any $$$.

I track some games I don't even play just because I like fooling around with excel and vb.

the only one I play with any real regularity is the PB, one ticket every draw regardless of JP.

I know with a ticket it's PoSsIbLe to win

I know I PrObAbLy won't win

BUT, I have fun in the process and...

with no ticket I definitely WON'T win!

I have also learned that playing more than one ticket for any one game is technically betting against yourself, so my hobby stays cheap...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: August 1, 2007, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Ra, atleast has a good chance.....lol

Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5587 Posts
                  Posted: August 1, 2007, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

Imhotep agrees.

Anck-su namen I need you, actually Rachel Weisz will do just fine and dandy.

The Mummy Returns!

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: August 1, 2007, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

Actually it's worse,

In Florida, it's higher.

The chart you present focuses on the general population.

Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5587 Posts
                      Posted: August 1, 2007, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

In Florida, it's higher.

The chart you present focuses on the general population.

From the second link I posted:

noaa pic

You mean better odds of getting struck. Yes if you live in Fla., you are more likely to get struck by lightning than winning Powerball or MegaMillions.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                        A long and winding road
                        United States
                        Member #17084
                        June 10, 2005
                        4576 Posts
                        Posted: August 1, 2007, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Due to the way the question was posed, I chose to vote: Yes.

If a person doesnt go thru those doubting periods and question the validity then they arent playing with desire. Without the desire to win , it would be robotic and boring. 

I seriously keep it simple...I either win or I don't. Its not a matter of ratios and overwhleming mathmatical odds. Its either I got the pattern or I don't. I'd like to *beleive* my ticket has some winning combinations. I actually *know* that they probably don't.  Sometimes its my beleif against the natural odds that does keep it simple in playing:)

Somethings really are futile. Paying taxes for causes that one really DOESNT have a desire to even be involved or linked to. Dealing with pollution, high gas prices, and increases in products with less in the packages. 

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #29196
                          December 29, 2005
                          280 Posts
                          Posted: August 2, 2007, 8:31 am - IP Logged

For a variety of reasons I had to vote Yes too.

Some of it has to do with my study of odds, winners and their stories.  How many tickets sold...how many winners, where they came from...how long they've been playing...how many tickets they bought..quick picks versus own picks and any other info I can glean.

Some of it has to do with my own experience.  I haven't missed a Powerball draw in over 2 1/2 years.  Regardless of jackpot size I've been in them all.  In the 3 1/2 years prior to that I didn't miss 10 draws total.  (By the way I've never even been close.)  And the same was true of the Hoosier Lottery which I haven't played now for about a year.

Part of it is my experience working for a retailer that sold lottery tickets.  I worked for a retailer that had 7 locations in 3 counties in Northwest Indiana.  Over the years I've sold literally thousands and thousands of lottery ticlets and seen and talked to hundreds of players.  

When you consider that something like half of all adult Americans claim to play the lottery at least occasionally...and that the lottery overall is a multi-billion dollar industry in the U.S...and only a few dozen people yearly win the Big One...then it certainly does seem like an excersise in futility.

But I keep playing and like most of the people in this thread I believe you have to be in it to win it.

But damn!  It is frustrating!

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #29196
                            December 29, 2005
                            280 Posts
                            Posted: August 2, 2007, 9:10 am - IP Logged

I want to add something to my post...

While I realize that there are litterally millions of people trying to win the Big One...my point is I believe that in an honestly run game like Powerball...I can win.  I tell myself over and over again that I will win...but the reality is despite the frustation that leads to the feelings of futility...I do believe that I can win.  And that is what keeps me playing.

I don't know if winners are chosen by luck, fate, destiny, karma, number crunching, or the Hand of God...but I do believe I can win.  And a fair chance is all anyone can ask for when playing a lottery jackpot game.

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19900 Posts
                              Posted: August 2, 2007, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

To participate in a lottery where the odds of winning a jackpot are 1:145M and have a feeling of futility because you don't win the top prize doesn't make sense.  Any one who plays in such a lottery can reasonable expect to never win a jackpot even if they play the game their whole life, that's a given with this type of game.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking