Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Real Deal

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 9 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Statistically speaking, are most jackpots won by QP or Your Own Numbers, Pool Players

Quick Picks (QP) [ 25 ]  [71.43%]
Your own numbers [ 2 ]  [5.71%]
50/50 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Pool Players Win more often that single players [ 1 ]  [2.86%]
I do not know [ 7 ]  [20.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 35 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
Member #24380
October 21, 2005
623 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2007, 2:03 am - IP Logged

What are the statistics?  Quick picks ,pick of your own numbers players ,or pool players win jackpots the majority of the time.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10356 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2007, 2:23 am - IP Logged

This is from the FAQ page of the Powerball website:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks.

About 70% to 80% of winners are computer picks.

Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2007, 7:41 am - IP Logged

This is from the FAQ page of the Powerball website:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks.

About 70% to 80% of winners are computer picks.

Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences?

Not a coincidence of course.  I think you have to differentiate between the people who frequent LP and all the rest (vast majority) of people who play the Lottery.

The greatest amount of players take QPs simply because they don't feel the need to spend time studying the games.  They win, they win.  But I think the factor that motivates those here on LP for the most part, is that we want to feel like we actually did something in order to win besides buying a ticket.

So we spend all kinds of time on past results, methods, etc., and we really don't end up any better off than the JP winners who plunk down ten bucks on QPs and win .  I just think that LP members, for the most part, when they DO win something, they like to think they created it, rather than it was just "dumb luck".

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
        nashville
        United States
        Member #49896
        February 18, 2007
        1181 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2007, 9:59 am - IP Logged

Not a coincidence of course.  I think you have to differentiate between the people who frequent LP and all the rest (vast majority) of people who play the Lottery.

The greatest amount of players take QPs simply because they don't feel the need to spend time studying the games.  They win, they win.  But I think the factor that motivates those here on LP for the most part, is that we want to feel like we actually did something in order to win besides buying a ticket.

So we spend all kinds of time on past results, methods, etc., and we really don't end up any better off than the JP winners who plunk down ten bucks on QPs and win .  I just think that LP members, for the most part, when they DO win something, they like to think they created it, rather than it was just "dumb luck".

I Agree! you are right some people want to feel like they didnt get lucky they want to feel like they worked hard and earned the lottery win through research or a system. when i win i dont care if people tell me it was luck or i didnt earn it ill be happy that my dream came true and i won.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10356 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2007, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Badger, tnlotto1

You're right, but I think that maybe, maybe people can study and research and maybe figure out a way to hit a Pick 3 occassionally, but I don't think anyone here or any of us know anyone actually making a living from it. 

Systems sellers will tell you they are but truth is they're selling their systems for money so they can play more or keep playing.

Beyond Pick 3, especially when it comes to jackpot games, to think you could figure out a system to overcome odds in the millions is just nuts.

As I've said before, people go broke playing 6 and 8 systems on crap tables where the odds are 6:5 for line and come bets and 7:6 for place bets. Don't players only have to get past the first role and then have the odds in their favor, and they get slaughtered, too. There's a saying in the Vegas dice pits: Custer was a Don't bettor!

Anyone who would "feel bad" about winning tens of millions or hundreds of millions because they won on a Quick Pick and not nunbers they worked out  has some serious problems.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
            United States
            Member #53008
            June 19, 2007
            67 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2007, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

I chose I don't know.  If I had to guess I'd say quick picks.  I mean I play quick picks but that's because I don't have the time to "study" all the different types of systems.  Raising two children under 3 will wipe out any free time real fast.  So for me quick picks it is!  And I only play the Mega Millions.

Big Hitter's avatar - tdspin17 e0.gif
              Constitutional Money Is Real Money
              Brick City
              United States
              Member #1216
              March 3, 2003
              1766 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2007, 9:07 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss said:

You're right, but I think that maybe, maybe people can study and research and maybe figure out a way to hit a Pick 3 occassionally, but I don't think anyone here or any of us know anyone actually making a living from it.

I knew a group of gentlemen who made a tidy living from the NJ Pick 3 back in the late '80's and early '90's. They used a paper and pencil system that focused on one or two numbers that were played progressively. They hit once or twice a month, but they hit for 10 to 20 thousand each time. It sometimes took a full 10 days to collect on a hit due to the lack of cooperative lottery agents. Since they were collecting amounts usually under $500 (NJ payout is pari-mutual), they would sometimes have to visit 10 or 15 different agents to get paid. The group used money management and progressive wagering and played straight only. The system focused on followers and looked at numbers coming out in NY and NJ at that time.

Whatever you fear most has no power - it is your fear that has the power.
              Oprah Winfrey

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
              (attributed to) Albert Einstein

I have failed many times, and that's why I am a success.
              Michael Jordan

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals
              himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

Albert Einstein

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2007, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I pick my own numbers as my vote. Whenever California Super Lotto Plus is at least 48 million or more, I must pretend to buy my picks. However, I don't spend any money at all (net).

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2007, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

If you are talking about in general, Coin Toss is correct.  Actually, I have followed the FL Lotto, FL MegaMoney and FL Fantasy 5 for several years, and I think more than 75% of the jackpots are won with quick picks.  One year, every large jackpot was won with a quick pick.  (I read all the press releases) 

That said, I don't think a quick pick has any better chance of winning than picking personal numbers if the numbers are generated randomly.  Most people buy quick picks because it's easier to say "give me one of them there lottery tickets, Ma'am" than it is to fill out a slip. 

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                    Florence, Alabama
                    United States
                    Member #8658
                    November 13, 2004
                    1993 Posts
                    Posted: August 8, 2007, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss said:

I knew a group of gentlemen who made a tidy living from the NJ Pick 3 back in the late '80's and early '90's. They used a paper and pencil system that focused on one or two numbers that were played progressively. They hit once or twice a month, but they hit for 10 to 20 thousand each time. It sometimes took a full 10 days to collect on a hit due to the lack of cooperative lottery agents. Since they were collecting amounts usually under $500 (NJ payout is pari-mutual), they would sometimes have to visit 10 or 15 different agents to get paid. The group used money management and progressive wagering and played straight only. The system focused on followers and looked at numbers coming out in NY and NJ at that time.

I used to do something like this back in the mid 90's but I didn't play like they did. The most I ever hit on a pick 3 was $2700 but I didn't hit it enough to live off of at my living standards. I averaged a hit like that about every other month. I know there are a lot of people who could. I played only hot doubles for .50 boxed and limited them to $5.00 worth a draw. Occasionally I would pick out one number and play anywhere from 2.00 to 10.00 on it straight. Normally I would get atleast 3 $100. boxed hits per month which would cover the wagers for the month and make a little extra. This is a good plan BUT when you win you want to play more numbers and that is where you lose. I had gotten away from this by trying other peoples systems and playing numbers that were given to me by other players saying it is due. Don't get me wrong, I have hit on those numbers too but I think I have lost more then I have won on those numbers. I'm going back to my old way where  was profiting from the lottery instead of donating.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

Florence, Alabama
                      United States
                      Member #8658
                      November 13, 2004
                      1993 Posts
                      Posted: August 8, 2007, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

If you are talking about in general, Coin Toss is correct.  Actually, I have followed the FL Lotto, FL MegaMoney and FL Fantasy 5 for several years, and I think more than 75% of the jackpots are won with quick picks.  One year, every large jackpot was won with a quick pick.  (I read all the press releases) 

That said, I don't think a quick pick has any better chance of winning than picking personal numbers if the numbers are generated randomly.  Most people buy quick picks because it's easier to say "give me one of them there lottery tickets, Ma'am" than it is to fill out a slip. 

I've been watching the winning draws from Illinois Little Lotto and it looks to me like most people who hit that hit it with a Quick Pick.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: August 8, 2007, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Looking back at the original post, I guess you are talking about people who play in pools, yes?  So I guess I shouldn't have participated in this poll, since I am not a member of a pool.  If I were, I hope all the tickets would be quick picks, however. 

Florence, Alabama
                          United States
                          Member #8658
                          November 13, 2004
                          1993 Posts
                          Posted: August 8, 2007, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Looking back at the original post, I guess you are talking about people who play in pools, yes?  So I guess I shouldn't have participated in this poll, since I am not a member of a pool.  If I were, I hope all the tickets would be quick picks, however. 

I think I shouldn't posted here either. I don't participate in pools either anymore and when I did we didnt have any luck with quick picks or our own numbers.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                            Member #24380
                            October 21, 2005
                            623 Posts
                            Posted: August 9, 2007, 1:08 am - IP Logged

ROFLI Agree!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: August 9, 2007, 4:36 am - IP Logged

I pick my own numbers as my vote. Whenever California Super Lotto Plus is at least 48 million or more, I must pretend to buy my picks. However, I don't spend any money at all (net).

Goofi pretended to buy my powerball tickets last night.i also pretended that i won (net). i was driving around in my 2008 corvette last night and i smashed it into a fence and decided to come back and put the rest of the 90 million under the bed.i'll be very paranoid when i have to leave the house because i'm afraid someone will find the money but i decided to quit pretending and now i don't have to worry about it anymore!!